Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I was driving home and noticed a faint smell of gas while driving. The smell didn't last long and went away. Fast forward to Sunday, Nov. 6 and I'm getting ready to head out to the folks place. After I started the truck I decided I'd go ahead and look underneath just in case I seen anything leaking; I didn't. However, I don't know what made me look up but this is what I saw...

Not only is the filler clamp broke but so is the vent clamp. It's going to be a cheap easy fix but I found it odd both were broke. This would definately explain the strong smell of gas inside the cab after a fill up.
(which I've only noticed once so it leads me to believe that at least the filler clamp broke recently and started to leak) Now I do sometimes drive a little too fast down some back country roads that are in less than favorable conditions and being a 3/4 ton can make for a rough ride. I felt this was something that maybe you guys should check on your trucks.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So last weekend I was driving home and noticed a faint smell of gas while driving. The smell didn't last long and went away. Fast forward to Sunday, Nov. 6 and I'm getting ready to head out to the folks place. After I started the truck I decided I'd go ahead and look underneath just in case I seen anything leaking; I didn't. However, I don't know what made me look up but this is what I saw...

Not only is the filler clamp broke but so is the vent clamp. It's going to be a cheap easy fix but I found it odd both were broke. This would definately explain the strong smell of gas inside the cab after a fill up.
(which I've only noticed once so it leads me to believe that at least the filler clamp broke recently and started to leak) Now I do sometimes drive a little too fast down some back country roads that are in less than favorable conditions and being a 3/4 ton can make for a rough ride. I felt this was something that maybe you guys should check on your trucks.

·
Board of Directors
25,097 Posts

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Good catch!

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Little tip that might help you save your clamps and make them last longer for those of you in the snowy areas where they use road salt:

Clean the metal and rubber hose completely - all the way around and at least an inch or 2 in both directions from where they meet.

Most hardware stores sell cans of liquid rubber that you can use for coating the ends of your tools or even the liquid rubber electrical tape.

If you apply that in a few coats over the entire area you cleaned - including the clamp - let dry completely between coats, it will keep the moisture away from your clamp .. ergo .. no rust.

This is a spur of the moment thought when I looked at your picture and in all honesty you're DAMNED LUCKY!!!!!!!!!! that the hose did NOT come off while you were driving or you might currently be looking for a new truck!

GREAT CATCH!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Good info!

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Gonna give the Moose a once over thanks Buddy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts