Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 06 ram 5.7 with 100k two months ago and here is what ive done so far:
Oil change
trans flush with filter change
rear diff fluid change
coolant flush
pcv valve
cleaned out throttle body
new air filter
seafoam treatment
oil catch can

I am about to :
change plugs
brake fluid
powersteering fluid

now what else can I do? I want all my maint up to date and trying to get the best MPG possible.

·
Gary
904 Posts
I think you covered it all. Good luck with the new truck. As for the better mpg cant help with that. My old truck only got 7 city and 11 highway

·
Farrrrrr East Coast
3,770 Posts
i gave up on mpgs. 9 city,8 in the winter, sure everyone wants better but its a truck, gas mileage is not its forte , my saving grace is giving a guy a ride to work, almost completely funds my gas bill.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I didnt get it for mpg but it sure can't hurt to keep it in top running condition. I just try to take care of my stuff.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Ramless Member
1,036 Posts
The flexalite fans are nice, but a cheaper alternative would be an efan from a ford Taurus I've heard. Couldn't give you specifics but maybe someone else can...

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you go Flex-a-lite I think this is the one you want, a little better price too. Includes controller. They have a nice looking shroud.

If you're handy you can go with a Taurus or other Ford fan in the stock shroud. Either way there are some write-ups in the archives here.

Good luck!

·
Farrrrrr East Coast
3,770 Posts
i no on the 4th gens you can just get a v6 efan and everything is plug and play...not sure if the 3rd gens have anything like that available.

·
Retired BOD - Doug
39,640 Posts
What kind of oil did you go with? I've used nothing but Amsoil in my last 3 HEMI's and they are/were as clean as new. If she has no leaks it might be worth the expense the next change.

·
5.7 Hemi Laramie Longhorn
148 Posts
I just bought my 06 ram 5.7 with 100k two months ago and here is what I've done so far:
Oil change
rear diff fluid change
coolant flush
pcv valve
new air filter
seafoam treatment
oil catch can

I am about to :
change plugs
brake fluid
powersteering fluid

Now what else can I do? I want all my maintenance up to date and trying to get the best MPG possible.
You may do a compression test on each of the cylinders. With that many miles you might consider having it put on an analyzer to check the current engine component performance. Because the engine is running doesn't necessarily mean it'd running at peak performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought my 06 ram 5.7 with 100k two months ago and here is what ive done so far:
Oil change
rear diff fluid change
coolant flush
pcv valve
new air filter
seafoam treatment
oil catch can

I am about to :
change plugs
brake fluid
powersteering fluid

now what else can I do? I want all my maint up to date and trying to get the best MPG possible.
what catch can did you install?

·
John
4,069 Posts
Looks 'bout right. You may regret the tranny flush, though, depending on how it was done.
I agree with that statement on the transmission flush. I had my transmission fluid and filters changed and 1,100 miles later @ 72,900 miles had to have the transmission replaced. That cost $3,000.00 out the door.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can do a good inspection and lubrication of your brakes. If the caliper slides are getting rough you could have a slight drag on one or more of the wheels. Make sure your tire pressures are good and aired up.

MPG and 3rd Gen Ram... Eeesh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts