Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My luck finally ran out on my 03. Getting off the highway and it started running like crap. made it home (about 2miles) and parked it. Scanned codes and got the P0300 and knew what it was. Pulled the valve cover on drivers side to find the #1 exhaust spring broken. My truck has over 280k miles (i got it with 100k). So time for springs, I see Comp Cams has a complete spring kit that is cheaper than the PAC1511 kits. Which is preferred? I would like to add a cam this summer, but need to get truck running so I can park my Scat Pack charger for the winter.

·
Greg
20,054 Posts
I would say luck was with you.. you didn't drop the valve..

·
Administrator
17,986 Posts
Either work. I ran two sets of comp stings over the years and had them break on me also. Make sure you get a kit with spring aligners.

·
Registered
2004 GTX
50 Posts
My luck finally ran out on my 03. Getting off the highway and it started running like crap. made it home (about 2miles) and parked it. Scanned codes and got the P0300 and knew what it was. Pulled the valve cover on drivers side to find the #1 exhaust spring broken. My truck has over 280k miles (i got it with 100k). So time for springs, I see Comp Cams has a complete spring kit that is cheaper than the PAC1511 kits. Which is preferred? I would like to add a cam this summer, but need to get truck running so I can park my Scat Pack charger for the winter.
Well personally (former Comp cams employee) I say Comp..... both springs "technically" are the same, Comp list a max lift of .600 while PAC claims .625 ,for the record(PAC spring) that's installed in an LS application, for the 03-08 Hemi heads , they are closer to .610/.615.

Now for the complete honesty thing here , Pac is a better spring for the over.550 lift guys(gals) they hold up better over the long haul, take High heat cycles better, poor oiling issues.

If your Next summer cam is say Comp 268 , any thing Crower ,Either one of those springs are going to be fine.

Crower Spring 68872 is something to look at also, PAC private labels a lot of Crower valve springs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was surprised and glad it didn't drop a valve. I appreciate the info on the springs. Now to place an order for the spring kit, and tool. Thanks all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi, Don't want to hijack BUT, title just says valve springs
What is the consensus on the PAC 1218 springs ?
Anybody have experience with them ?
Thank you and "Merry Christmas" to all the contributors
🎀 🏁

·
Registered
2004 GTX
50 Posts
🎀 🏁
1218 has higher load rate at installed height(130 Vs 105 for the 1215) which basically translate in to it'll float roughly 500-750rpm higher then the 1215.

if you need a more RPM out of your .590 and smaller cam , it's the one you want....or if your cam duration @.050 is in the 240+ range it's better choice.

1215,1218,and 1219
these 3 are close enough in specs , if you can't find one the other two will do just remember the higher the part # the higher the performance.

DO NOT buy 1220's for the 03-08 5.7 heads in theory they'll work, it's a 1.88 when in stalled in a 1.80 application you lose roughly .078 worth of useable spring travel.....now for the back track , they work fantastic if you are running .10 longer over stock valves in the 6.1 head....in the pre Eagle head.....it better be one hell of a great flowing head to justify the work.

Is the spring designed for the 6.1 , works on the 5.7(03-08) head , it's coil bind(CB) height is 1.16in vs the 1215/1218 CB of 1.14in.

V-10 Viper application.....great spring if you are running Titanium valves in your 6.1/pre eagle 5.7s

lots of work needs to be done to use this spring in the 6.1/pre Eagle heads....STAY AWAY.

·
David
2,236 Posts
🎀 🏁
I ran the 1218 with a Greene Racing 210/218 .580 112 cam with BV heads milled .030. No problems at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts