Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 for now....
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is nearly built, the last piece to buy is a new ECU.

For info on the engine build see my build log thread.

Basic Specs:
2008 5.7 based 396 Stroker, .010 over,
HRT 3 Camshaft, LINK
ported/port matched heads, valve work, upgraded springs,
42 lbs/hr DeatschWerks injectors, spec sheet link
90mm bbk dbw mopar style 6pin throttle body

this thread will cover the install / programming and tuning of the terminator X.

the engine/ecu will be going into my 2008 ram 1500 4x4.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
it'll be 2 more weeks until i can afford the terminator, but have started playing around in the software setting up my global file.

my truck has its own dedicated laptop, and rammount.

installed the terminator software.

started off with the base tune for "5.7 Hemi 36-2+2 COP DBW.terx"
increased CU to 396
set custom injectors 42 lb/hr

and thats about as far as i got....

i watched some videos of people starting an engine using the 3" handheld wizard.
one of the questions the wizard asks is about the lobe separation of camshaft, what does that change in the global file?
where can i put my camshaft info into use?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
secondly i wanted to plan out the wiring.

Started a DM conversation that included some good info, wanted to get it written down in a single place.

the reason I mentioned the factory gauges working with the standalone is because a lot of guys yank out the factory pcm when they go with a standalone, and that just messes with everything from your gauges to your hvac controls to your friggin headlights and windows. leave it in and disconnect the engine, thats it. to keep the factory gauges working I just tapped the oil pressure and coolant temp signals on the holley harness and fed them to the pcm harness. since it is receiving those signals, it has information to send to the cluster. the speedometer works off of the abs system, so it doesn't need anything to make it work. to make your tach work, give the pcm the signal from the camshaft position sensor. it's just a few minutes worth of wiring, so as long as you have the diagrams for the pcm connectors, you're good to go. if you don't have them, ask on here and someone will have them. I might have a service manual for your year, I will have to check my computer when I get home.

your alternator, power steering, a/c, etc all stay connected to the factory wiring

you do need to keep transmission control in mind though. you may be able to feed sensor data to the pcm (tps, map, etc) and make it control the transmission, but I'm not sure.

quote 2

honestly I really really think you can keep your pcm running your stock tranny with the Terminator running the motor if you tap all the sensor signal wires and feed them to the pcm. this however is assuming that you are running the stock accelerator pedal assembly and an electronic throttle body. the pcm will throw open circuit codes on all the coils and injectors, but that shouldn't stop it from running the transmission. like if you unplug a coil and an injector, the pcm will throw codes but the truck still drives normally. having the other 7 disconnected just means more codes.
any other wiring considerations anyone can think of?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i checked out the holley forum... is it a joke?
it seems broken. searched the whole forum for the word hemi, 2 results.
those 2 results did not include the one thread with HEMI in the title, i could see on page 1 of terminator x sub forum.

seems low traffic too. is there a better forum for hemi / holley tuning?

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
Not that I know of as of yet. Once I start to assemble my truck back together then I will start looking. I also know how to tune so I don’t browse for much but have yet to tune a holley terminator

·
Proud Canadian
284 Posts
it'll be 2 more weeks until i can afford the terminator, but have started playing around in the software setting up my global file.

my truck has its own dedicated laptop, and rammount.

installed the terminator software.

started off with the base tune for "5.7 Hemi 36-2+2 COP DBW.terx"
increased CU to 396
set custom injectors 42 lb/hr

and thats about as far as i got....

i watched some videos of people starting an engine using the 3" handheld wizard.
one of the questions the wizard asks is about the lobe separation of camshaft, what does that change in the global file?
where can i put my camshaft info into use?
the cam specs will be put to use by whoever does the tuning. the ecu needs to know what duration range the cam is mainly for the idle. higher duration means less manifold vacuum at idle.

·
Proud Canadian
284 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what are you doing for transmission control?
crossing fingers your suggestion works, that we can leave the RFE connected to the dodge PCM, run the engine on the terminator... until the spring when the 8hp70 swap will start with sound german kit.

however.. terminator max does support the 46RE now... would it be as fun as the 8 speed?
but i kinda want the 8 speed with T shifter console.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@Harleyc04 - I watched some videos of people setting up engine using the 3" display.
the wizard has a page asking about lobe separation, what does that affect in the global file?
i have been playing around with terminator software, and have my global mostly setup. dunno where i make changes for the cam i have. (cam specs link in post 1)

·
Proud Canadian
284 Posts
however.. terminator max does support the 46RE now... would it be as fun as the 8 speed?
but i kinda want the 8 speed with T shifter console.
the 46re would drive so close to your factory transmission that you wouldn't notice a difference. guys go that route because they can be built to handle power. the 8spd is the way that you will want to go for a transmission swap. which T handle shifter are you referring to? if you're talking about the factory shifter handle, it's plastic junk and upgrading it should be considered a must.

·
Proud Canadian
284 Posts
crossing fingers your suggestion works, that we can leave the RFE connected to the dodge PCM, run the engine on the terminator

it should work, but you won't know until you try it. as long as the pcm is seeing sensor feedback it should still operate the transmission. it will have the data that it needs and should just set a bunch of codes but otherwise be pretty much unaffected.

one place I could forsee a hiccup is with the throttle, the pcm will see the commanded throttle position (from the pedal) and the actual (from the tps) but
the commanded vs actual throttle position that it is seeing won't match what it thinks it is telling the throttle body to do. I'm pretty sure it would just be a mismatch code but again, only one way to know for sure. the open circuit it will see on the etc motor likely won't matter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it should work, but you won't know until you try it. as long as the pcm is seeing sensor feedback it should still operate the transmission. it will have the data that it needs and should just set a bunch of codes but otherwise be pretty much unaffected.

one place I could forsee a hiccup is with the throttle, the pcm will see the commanded throttle position (from the pedal) and the actual (from the tps) but
the commanded vs actual throttle position that it is seeing won't match what it thinks it is telling the throttle body to do. I'm pretty sure it would just be a mismatch code but again, only one way to know for sure. the open circuit it will see on the etc motor likely won't matter.
remembered the other day... factory remote start dont run with engine codes. another upgrade ill have to do.

no info on the camshaft programming question above or did you miss it?

·
Proud Canadian
284 Posts
remembered the other day... factory remote start dont run with engine codes. another upgrade ill have to do.

no info on the camshaft programming question above or did you miss it?

like when you were asking what the LSA info affects in the tune file? I can't speak for holley but I would assume that with it being a baseline tune file, it wants the LSA mainly for setting up the idle parameters

Reactions: TRusselo

·
Administrator
18,161 Posts
I don’t think piggybacking it will work. It will see throttle mismatch and toss it into limp mode. The engine will run with no trans but the other way around is going to be near impossible I’m pretty sure.

46re would be like factory trans as stated but the 8 speed is where you would really shine if you could get that to work with terminator.

·
Proud Canadian
284 Posts
I don’t think piggybacking it will work. It will see throttle mismatch and toss it into limp mode. The engine will run with no trans but the other way around is going to be near impossible I’m pretty sure.

what exactly is limp mode on the earlier models, as far as the transmission goes? I have seen the term thrown around but I messed with my factory control systems a LOT and never ran into anything I couldn't defeat or trick. had some etc limitations kick in a few times but never anything that interfered with transmission operation.

·
Proud Canadian
284 Posts
46re would be like factory trans as stated but the 8 speed is where you would really shine if you could get that to work with terminator.
theres no if, I've been running them together for a couple years

Reactions: arocketman

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well... nothing can stop time.
looking at the calendar, our schedules, falling leaves and the outside temp...
the install is being moved to spring, but will include the 8HP.
solves the "limp mode" questions about the RFE.

once and done.

plenty of time to bench run, or get fine tuned on a cradle at a shop.
will keep this thread updated about that.

the other build thread will continue this fall/winter with hood, interior, ect

1 - 17 of 17 Posts