Hemi Truck Club banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GTX
57 Posts
the hi ram will fit no problem. there is a lot more room above the heads than most guys think. I measured from the intake ports to the wiper cowl once and it was 16 or 18 inches or something like that.
[/QUOTE

I had one on the GTX for a bit, I went back to the Drag Pak. Over at Island dragway this past Sunday they had the Truck and Smoke show , one of the few gas trucks was an 04 SLT that guy was running a HI-Ram ... and cleaning house in the Gas Vs Diesel bracket race, they were running 1/8 mile. Rick was there with the Purple 05 with the new 426 beast , it went a best of [email protected] ,he was running the Hi-Ram with the adaptor to put the Hellcat TB.

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts

how do the drag pak and hi ram compare? from the drivers seat were there any significant differences that you noticed between the two?

·
Registered
2004 GTX
57 Posts
how do the drag pak and hi ram compare? from the drivers seat were there any significant differences that you noticed between the two?
Keep in mind my 04GTX is 76CI bigger, and somewhere north of 150/175(HP/TQ) over your 392 , we probably weigh the same, I ran the hi-ram with the 8sp and the 46RH, around town under 60mph/96kmh it felt stronger with both trans then the DP and at the track the 60ft was consistently better then the DP, reality is it wasn't hitting the tires as hard as the DP, but 330ft on, DP wins hands down.....it's hard to beat the Drag Pak...the Hi-Ram will do it with the 2x4bb(TB) top but single up front TB, it's competitive till 5500rpms.......now that is my experience with my 468 and 46rh.

If I was just running 1/8m or no track time I honestly think I'd go with the High Ram.

My oldest son, races a duraslack in in an 08 GMCrap, it's a high eights 1/4m , low 6's 1/8m truck.....his daily driver is an 02ram/with 08 clip with a us-body 70 supper bee hood and 09 bed it's a rolling motley crew, weighs 4350 currently , when he bought the truck it had an 04(401ci) hemi drive line and computer along with a ATS 545., now it's running a 2014 5.7(362ci) and a 2014 computer with a new Tremec TKX, we tried the HI-ram on the 04 setup but needed the adaptors (sq port to pre09 head) and the hi-ram hit the cowl, not super tight, we could of "john Henry" clearanced it. swapped the heads over to Apache(392srt) hi-ram fit with about 1/2 inch to spare. ran a Hellcat 92mm TB with the adaptor, with out the LS to Hemi adaptor it would of cleared the Alt , truck has no AC ,with the adaptor we couldn't run a filter direct , had to "intake tube" never ran that 401 with any other intake manifold on it and the 545 crapped out once on the way to Numidia Dragway, Did manage to get few passes in last year before it spun a bearing, 11.90s was the best.

The 14 5.7(362ci) set up with a 65RFE 2800 stall , 4.56 gears , we ran the Hi-ram, a 2013 P-car , 14 5.7 truck, a 6.4 truck , Prefix single and borrowed an old XV 6.1 , truck ran low 12.60s with the Prefix, 12.80s with the HI-Ram and XV, 6.4 truck with out SRV hooked up 13.0s , with SVR 13.0s, lots of wheel spin after 60ft, same with the 5.7 truck with SRV hooked up both ran 13.0s the surprise was the 2013 P-car(of a 2013 Charger) that ran competitively with the HI-Ram, higher end of 80's Hi-ram was lower end of 80s

He ran the same 87mm Moe's Tb and base Tune, on all intakes, on the Truck with SRV , HPTuners allows you to raise and lower where the SRV comes in, we played with it a little bit but really didn't have the time to dedicate to perfecting it,

now in all fairness, not all intakes were tested the same day or in the same conditions or at the same track , Some were at Numidia(PA) (Hi-Ram,XV Prefix) which is 975ft Elv 86degree low R/H ,, and some were at Maple Grove(PA)(13 P-car) which is 541ft 90degree ,no idea on R/H and Island(NJ)(both truck intakes) is 511ft, 68degree day.

The 362 is a 2014 5.7 block, a 2014 6.4 crank(3.72) stock bore(3.917), stock eagle heads and SRT392 Manual cam.
When the truck was 1st done it had a 65RFE in it and it's best time was [email protected] with the Prefix.
3 passes with the TKX trans so far(prefix intake) , drive in to Island ,went thru tech , 1st bracket time trial went 12.45 @ 108, 2nd pass 12.49 @107 went out 1st round 12.39 on a 12.45 dial in @ 109.......

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
Keep in mind my 04GTX is 76CI bigger, and somewhere north of 150/175(HP/TQ) over your 392 , we probably weigh the same, I ran the hi-ram with the 8sp and the 46RH, around town under 60mph/96kmh it felt stronger with both trans then the DP and at the track the 60ft was consistently better then the DP, reality is it wasn't hitting the tires as hard as the DP, but 330ft on, DP wins hands down.....it's hard to beat the Drag Pak...the Hi-Ram will do it with the 2x4bb(TB) top but single up front TB, it's competitive till 5500rpms.......now that is my experience with my 468 and 46rh.

If I was just running 1/8m or no track time I honestly think I'd go with the High Ram.

My oldest son, races a duraslack in in an 08 GMCrap, it's a high eights 1/4m , low 6's 1/8m truck.....his daily driver is an 02ram/with 08 clip with a us-body 70 supper bee hood and 09 bed it's a rolling motley crew, weighs 4350 currently , when he bought the truck it had an 04(401ci) hemi drive line and computer along with a ATS 545., now it's running a 2014 5.7(362ci) and a 2014 computer with a new Tremec TKX, we tried the HI-ram on the 04 setup but needed the adaptors (sq port to pre09 head) and the hi-ram hit the cowl, not super tight, we could of "john Henry" clearanced it. swapped the heads over to Apache(392srt) hi-ram fit with about 1/2 inch to spare. ran a Hellcat 92mm TB with the adaptor, with out the LS to Hemi adaptor it would of cleared the Alt , truck has no AC ,with the adaptor we couldn't run a filter direct , had to "intake tube" never ran that 401 with any other intake manifold on it and the 545 crapped out once on the way to Numidia Dragway, Did manage to get few passes in last year before it spun a bearing, 11.90s was the best.

The 14 5.7(362ci) set up with a 65RFE 2800 stall , 4.56 gears , we ran the Hi-ram, a 2013 P-car , 14 5.7 truck, a 6.4 truck , Prefix single and borrowed an old XV 6.1 , truck ran low 12.60s with the Prefix, 12.80s with the HI-Ram and XV, 6.4 truck with out SRV hooked up 13.0s , with SVR 13.0s, lots of wheel spin after 60ft, same with the 5.7 truck with SRV hooked up both ran 13.0s the surprise was the 2013 P-car(of a 2013 Charger) that ran competitively with the HI-Ram, higher end of 80's Hi-ram was lower end of 80s

He ran the same 87mm Moe's Tb and base Tune, on all intakes, on the Truck with SRV , HPTuners allows you to raise and lower where the SRV comes in, we played with it a little bit but really didn't have the time to dedicate to perfecting it,

now in all fairness, not all intakes were tested the same day or in the same conditions or at the same track , Some were at Numidia(PA) (Hi-Ram,XV Prefix) which is 975ft Elv 86degree low R/H ,, and some were at Maple Grove(PA)(13 P-car) which is 541ft 90degree ,no idea on R/H and Island(NJ)(both truck intakes) is 511ft, 68degree day.

The 362 is a 2014 5.7 block, a 2014 6.4 crank(3.72) stock bore(3.917), stock eagle heads and SRT392 Manual cam.
When the truck was 1st done it had a 65RFE in it and it's best time was [email protected] with the Prefix.
3 passes with the TKX trans so far(prefix intake) , drive in to Island ,went thru tech , 1st bracket time trial went 12.45 @ 108, 2nd pass 12.49 @107 went out 1st round 12.39 on a 12.45 dial in @ 109.......
it has been a WHILE since I have heard the XV mentioned! I totally forgot about it.

that is an excellent comparison, your testing beats the crap out of any magazine or online article I have ever read.

·
Registered
2004 GTX
57 Posts
and I just found a cam close to the hrt 3 on this 2003 ram, featuring the 2005 pcm tuned.
no idle issues. that PCM upgrade is probably the difference between it working well or not, why you needed to upgrade to terminator for your cam idle issues @Harleyc04

Trystin, buddy I worked for comp cams, I'm telling you that cam in the video(XFI268H) is nothing like the HRT-3 cam.

SKU 112-501-11 is 216/220 @ .050 and .528/531 lift (XFI268H)
SKU 112-305-11 is 224/234 @ .050 and .632/619 Lift(HRT-3)

and it will not work with any OEM PCM with out some serious tuning(HRT-3), it's too big for your application unless you plan on running some serious gearing, say 5.13/5.30

Who every at Comp suggested it to you builder should be FIRED.

Looking at what you are doing and I get it , play toy , deal with issues as they arise, build a good foundation and experiment....trust me when I say I get it....but that Big A$$ cam($$ only because it's a family site not to infer waste of money)

SKU 112-303-11(HRT-2) , is the higher end of what I'd recommend.
SKU 112-502-11(XFI273) is the comp cam I would try, Crower 33495 I think would be perfect,

The Howard cams were designed with stock PCM in mind. despite the wild durations they have, so were Crower.

Straight up no bull, the HRT cams were designed to use with the VVT tech, then the profiles were modified and handed down to the Non-VVT platform, because the "big boys at Comp wanted a fresh cam line up.

I have no connection to and will not gain in any way with this recommendation,
Cam Motion has put a LOT research in to their Titian line of G3 cams SKU:23-09-0001 is what you want. I have seen this cam in a relatively stockish 06 crew cab 4x2(5300lbs) the short block was redone .030 over bore Manley pistons&rods Hellcat crank(same stroke as 5.7/6.1) set of remaned 06 heads, stock valves. new springs and lash caps to help rocker tip geometry , PQX roller rockers and truck intake manifold with 87bbk TB, stock convertor 3,92 gears ,
truck runs 13.20/30s @ 100/104 on a modified Diablo 93 oct tune at Numidia dragway. thing weighs 5200lbs, it's roughly 440/450hp. his buddy has the same truck (08 Crew cab 4x2) with a big 5.7 409CI , a 4.20X3.937 PIE heads LX auto intake 87mmTB same cam as the 06 , runs 11.90s on pump gas @ 5200lbs . that's roughly 570 rwhp and both guys are running 545's , the 06 has an ATS the 08 has a Monster trans.

Side note the guy with the 06 is looking to a 46RH swap , I have a running bet with him, that if his truck doesn't run an 12.90 in the 1st 4 passes after the swap I'll pay him $100.

·
Stu
21,561 Posts
It's important that you get a good matching cam with your present setup.
I put too big of a race turbo camshaft and turbo in my 05. It was very sluggish on the street. Also sluggish at the track the first 1/8 mile. It would pull strong after the 1/8th. Most of my 392 setup was recommended by HHP. Expected allot more out of it. Very disappointed with the street driving performance.
Since then, raised the cr up to 10:5.1, installed a street rv/turbo cam from Stu(Inertia), smaller 80mm turbo, OCP ported out intake manifold and a stock throttle body. Note: Same tune by Keith(charged392). This thing rips now! Only been running 6psi boost so far. Street driving is a blast. Really looking forward to testing & tuning at the track.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tristyne,
The guys on this Forum know there stuff, most have been playing with the Gen3 for over a decade, they know what works and what doesn't , all are enthusiasts, and most are racers. Being as this is your first engine build I would definitely listen to what they have to say. I've been around the block, more than once, I'm 62, and have had "rodding" in my blood since high school, been on the pit crew for 2 speed cars down at Bonneville, and a couple of champion hobby stocks. Done a little drag racing with my 68 396 SS Camaro ,ran 12.96, back in the day. What Harleyc05 said about doing a lot of research is correct, and using parts that compliment each other as well, what you are looking for is the "Total Package" Harley also touched on the concept of overbuilding with "room to grow" (y). When I started my 392, I came to them, I too was going to put the hottest cam I could in it, till I was told about the 03 PCM, Idling problems, and living in Seattle, not nearly as north as you, thought about driving in the snow, engine stalling, rolling down a hill, losing brakes etc. I was told (at the time) that the biggest cam I could go without changing the PCM was a comp cams 260, and that was not successfully run 100% of the time. The cam is the heart of the motor, it dictates the RPM range your car will be happy at. If you get a cam that runs from 3000 - 7000 RPM it will be a dog at 1500 RPM , and noooo amount of "low end" intake manifold will make up for it. A 3800 stall converter might ! A concept that most parts sellers fail to mention is that for the gain in one area , you USUALLY have a loss in another area. I'm building my 392 as a midrange torque monster, which with the weight of our trucks is about right. The cam I selected is about the same as the comp cams 260H (one of the most popular truck street cams available) , but with 2* less intake duration and 1* more of lobe separation, so it should run on the stock 03 PCM............ for now. Judging from his comments above I would bet Ray04GTX knows his stuff as well.
Also as far as highway mileage is concerned , my 68 Camaro 396 4sp with 4.56 gears , got 8 mpg. Redtruck and I have found a cure for that , it's called DODGE CUMMINS, he owns a 12 valve Cummins for the road, I own a 2003 5.9L 24v Cummins as well , gets 20.35 mpg , I drive 160 miles round trip to work.

Tristyne, you may not get the answers the answers you want to hear on this forum, but you will get the honest opinions of guys that have "Been There, Done That" and are taking the time to be of help to you.
Keep us informed of how it is coming along.

Reactions: Harleyc04

·
Registered
2008 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 for now....
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
It's important that you get a good matching cam with your present setup.
I put too big of a race turbo camshaft an...
This thing rips now! Only been running 6psi boost so far. Street driving is a blast. Really looking forward to testing & tuning at the track.
Tristyne,
The guys on this Forum know there stuff, most have been playing with the Gen3 for over a dec...
Keep us informed of how it is coming along.
Tristyn.

well,
never got notification of your 2 posts guys.

but the stage 3 has been purchased.
it was in stock. if it gets changed again. it gets changed again.
i tired to bring up the concerns of the forum before your 2 posts and... my builder, his builder ect. say it'll work fine with my 08 pcm and the pro tuning we are doing next door to the shop the swap is happening at. and no offence, just quoting them... they "dont give a sh!t what i read on the internet forums".

who knows, maybe thanks to you, i'll get to say " i told you so " to my builder.
only one way forward at the moment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
anyway,
current parts list. most things have arrived. availability / shipping to Canaderp has been a pain.

block dipped, bored .010, line bored,
392 stroker, 10.5:1 , diamond pistons, k1 rods,
hand ported 08 heads
hrt stage 3 master kit (springs, lifters,ect)
edelbrock victor ii intake and fuel rails
bbk 90mm throttlebody 1782
DeatschWerks 42 lbs/hr injectors 13U-00-0042-8
BBK Performance 4009CH - BBK Shorty Headers
Manley timing set
melling 10342hv high volume oil pump (released Dec 2021)
melling water pump
SUM-C2516 Summit SFI Harmonic Dampers
MMX stroker windage tray.

we'll see what happens... more money to follow im sure.

beyond that fun, also did some other work
de-chrome
5th gen ram badges on door
4th gen style grille, no chrome, custom paint
4th gen style tow mirrors. upgraded puddle lights.
alpharex 5th gen headlights
sandblast / paint steel bumpers.
color matched handles.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
anyway,
current parts list. most things have arrived. availability / shipping to Canaderp has been a pain.

block dipped, bored .010, line bored,
392 stroker, 10.5:1 , diamond pistons, k1 rods,
hand ported 08 heads
hrt stage 3 master kit (springs, lifters,ect)
edelbrock victor ii intake and fuel rails
bbk 90mm throttlebody 1782
DeatschWerks 42 lbs/hr injectors 13U-00-0042-8
BBK Performance 4009CH - BBK Shorty Headers
Manley timing set
melling 10342hv high volume oil pump (released Dec 2021)
melling water pump
SUM-C2516 Summit SFI Harmonic Dampers
MMX stroker windage tray.

we'll see what happens... more money to follow im sure.

beyond that fun, also did some other work
de-chrome
5th gen ram badges on door
4th gen style grille, no chrome, custom paint
4th gen style tow mirrors. upgraded puddle lights.
alpharex 5th gen headlights
sandblast / paint steel bumpers.
color matched handles.

View attachment 51075

View attachment 51077

the only increase you will see from those shorty headers is on your credit card bill. there is a reason you don't see any race cars with shorties. go with longtubes.

for an oil pump, if you want an upgrade then get a stock 6.2 pump. cheaper than an aftermarket pump and the only pump with thicker rotors which will actually give you more flow, and you will see ~70psi from it. depending on the year of your block, machining the mating surfaces of the pump may be necessary but it is simple and any engine shop can do it. the other pumps are no different from stock besides the name and maybe the spring.

Reactions: TRusselo

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
i completely agree
long tubes are coming later.
no stock unless i want to pay 2500$, or wait 6 months.
these were available now. and cheap.
and im not putting on stock ones to avoid "paying twice"

long tubes, cat delete, H pipe, dual exhaust... thats a whole 'nother project.

and again, not going to the track.

the melling pump is high volume.. plus high pressure, its more than just a spring. though it does come with 2 springs as well
custom rotor set, product released Dec 2021.
its already installed. only one way to find out if its good.

2008 block, just like original.

•20% Higher volume than stock
•High pressure spring installed
•Threaded pressure relief nut
•Stock pressure spring included
•Exclusive rotor set
other BS too~!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
the only increase you will see from those shorty headers is on your credit card bill. there is a reason you don't see any race cars with shorties. go with longtubes.

for an oil pump, if you want an upgrade then get a stock 6.2 pump. cheaper than an aftermarket pump and the only pump with thicker rotors which will actually give you more flow, and you will see ~70psi from it. depending on the year of your block, machining the mating surfaces of the pump may be necessary but it is simple and any engine shop can do it. the other pumps are no different from stock besides the name and maybe the spring.
summit has de-listed all long tube headers they are having such stock issues.
i JUST now found a set (supposedly) at tdot performance. hopefully they arent lying about stock.
i ordered them, if they dont come through i have the shortys
the only other set of long tubes i could find couple weeks ago were 2500$

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
summit has de-listed all long tube headers they are having such stock issues.
i JUST now found a set (supposedly) at tdot performance. hopefully they arent lying about stock.
i ordered them, if they dont come through i have the shortys
the only other set of long tubes i could find couple weeks ago were 2500$

2500 bucks yikes... what kind were they, and which headers did you order?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
2500 bucks yikes... what kind were they, and which headers did you order?
BBK Performance 1647 - 1-3/4" Full Length Exhaust Header (Chrome)

$783.95 Canadian rubles
hoping they are actually in stock.

dont think i bothered looking at the brand of the 2500. ones, it was a NOOOOOPPPE!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
welp...
bad news

tdot emailed me to confirm my vehicle for the headers.

email chick says RWD cars only.
their website and jeggs both say RWD cars, and all trucks
BBK mfg. website and the de-listed page on summit say Cars only.
BBK website only has shortys for trucks.

i think im boned.

i'd trust the MFG website, i think, right?
car headers wouldnt fit... would they?

there are a bunch of no-name kits on ebay for 1200$
or these (usd) .... lol...

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Line Font Automotive exterior

·
John
4,252 Posts
welp...
bad news

tdot emailed me to confirm my vehicle for the headers.

email chick says RWD cars only.
their website and jeggs both say RWD cars, and all trucks
BBK mfg. website and the de-listed page on summit say Cars only.
BBK website only has shortys for trucks.

i think im boned.

i'd trust the MFG website, i think, right?
car headers wouldnt fit... would they?

there are a bunch of no-name kits on ebay for 1200$
or these (usd) .... lol...

View attachment 51081
I am surprised to see KOOKS Headers being that much higher in price compared to the American Racing Headers.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts