Hemi Truck Club banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 for now....
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Heres a very worn out 5.7 with a magnum intake (long runners like the victor ii), and the HRT2 cam with upgraded springs
not a bad looking "square build"....
blue is stock cam. red is the hrt2
Product Rectangle Slope Font Line

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
I choose the only dual plane manifold at the time from OCP. Had it hand ported. Works good on a boosted 397 stroker.. Talk to Joe, he's a straight shooter..

Reactions: TRusselo

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
Reactions: TRusselo

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I choose the only dual plane manifold at the time from OCP. Had it hand ported. Works good on a boosted 397 stroker.. Talk to Joe, he's a straight shooter..
personally i dont like the torque curve of single/dual plane intakes for what i want.
But always good to know who to talk with. thanks!

·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
personally i dont like the torque curve of single/dual plane intakes for what i want.
the Victor II is a single plane intake, as is your factory intake, the 392 factory intake, etc. Anything with a common plenum is a single plane manifold.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
the Victor II is a single plane intake, as is your factory intake, the 392 factory intake, etc. Anything with a common plenum is a single plane manifold.
very true.
however, every intake i have seen someone talk about a single or dual plane has been short to mid sized runner intake with an overhead carb style mount, like yours.
Not sure about the OCP mentioned above. not seen it in my research... let me check now.... same...

I've come across a few old guys that will only call carb style (or dual use) intakes "single/dual plane"

what would the correct terminology be for the carb style intakes?

·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
what would the correct terminology be for the carb style intakes?
carb or efi doesn't matter when referring to the single/dual plane moniker.

the 'carb style' intakes with a horizontal flange have the more traditional (older) style because they can be run either carbureted or efi, whereas the manifolds with a vertical flange can (or at least should) only be run with efi, although really a person can do whatever they want if they are bored/creative.

the intake manifold on a carbureted motor has air and fuel passing through it so the path from carb flange to cylinder needs to be more direct to aid in even fuel distribution, as well as to avoid fuel puddling in the manifold. an efi motor's intake has only air passing through it, so the throttle body flange can be vertical or horizontal, and different style manifolds can be used, like the barrel style of the Victor II, factory 6.1 and car 5.7, 392, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
and I just found a cam close to the hrt 3 on this 2003 ram, featuring the 2005 pcm tuned.
no idle issues. that PCM upgrade is probably the difference between it working well or not, why you needed to upgrade to terminator for your cam idle issues @Harleyc04

·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
and I just found a cam close to the hrt 3 on this 2003 ram, featuring the 2005 pcm tuned.
no idle issues. that PCM upgrade is probably the difference between it working well or not, why you needed to upgrade to terminator for your cam idle issues @Harleyc04
there is no need to justify your choice of parts that you choose to buy, it is your money.

the cam in that video isn't the cam you keep talking about. close doesn't matter. when I ran the comp 268 cam, as many others also have, I didn't have idle issues after the initial relearn.

I am also not running the cam that you are buying, and my idle issues were due to a tighter LSA and longer intake duration. and to your final point, I was running a tuned 2005 PCM.

·
Registered
2004 GTX
32 Posts
ok this is a perfect example of "don't believe everything you see on the internet". I will tell you straight up that dude is full of shit. the power curve he is claiming, think about it for a second. just under 500 lb-ft of torque 'just off idle', a peak torque number of 550 and peak hp of just over 660. his numbers are bullshit.

with a peak torque number of 550 lb-ft, the absolute lowest rpm at which he could hit 660hp would be 6,300 and he would need 550 lb-ft to do it at that rpm, yet 550 is his claimed peak torque number. plus, the torque would have to do a spectacular nosedive immediately after 6,300rpm in order for the motor to not make a higher than claimed peak hp number.

even if he hit his peak hp at 7,000rpm (which he wouldn't do without some expensive parts running a 4.050" stroke), he would still need 500 lb-ft at 7K to be in the 660s for hp. so just off idle to 7K rpm his torque curve is so flat that it stays within 50 lb-ft?

any well designed motor will have a fairly flat torque curve, but if he is making 500+ tq just off idle and then holding onto it for that long, why not spin the motor faster and make way more hp?

and as you see, he advertises it as being dynoed with a startup tune and then the motor runs with the self tuning. so he is doing all this without even tuning the motor?!? I bet if you ask him, he can send the shuttle into orbit with Roman candles.
Mmmm , you know if you work out the math , the Video's HP #s work out. freeze the video @ 1:19 it's pulling 697.5 @ 6380RPMs making 582.5 TQ , my Kids 5.7 based 392 dyno pull at 6400 was 718hp/589TQ , his dart runs the low [email protected]( 2800lbs) to back up 720ish HP, and that 392 in the video is close to the kids pulls, my kids cam spec is just under .640, [email protected], he's running Eddy heads with 2.20 intake and the Exhaust seat welded up to run a smaller 1.625(stock is 1.65) the snipper is holding that G3 in the video back, the HI -Ram is Nuts on a good working G3.

·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Mmmm , you know if you work out the math , the Video's HP #s work out. freeze the video @ 1:19 it's pulling 697.5 @ 6380RPMs making 582.5 TQ , my Kids 5.7 based 392 dyno pull at 6400 was 718hp/589TQ , his dart runs the low [email protected]( 2800lbs) to back up 720ish HP, and that 392 in the video is close to the kids pulls, my kids cam spec is just under .640, [email protected], he's running Eddy heads with 2.20 intake and the Exhaust seat welded up to run a smaller 1.625(stock is 1.65) the snipper is holding that G3 in the video back, the HI -Ram is Nuts on a good working G3.

I'm not saying the numbers are impossible, of course not.

however he doesn't claim 697hp or 582tq, he claims peak numbers of 660hp and 550tq. that 660/550 number also isn't impossible, but I am saying those numbers don't jive with his claim of 500tq just off idle, or how smooth the motor idles, or his admission that it isn't even tuned. the stuff that doesn't add up is the combination of claims that rolls out of his mouth.

·
Registered
2004 GTX
32 Posts
I'm not saying the numbers are impossible, of course not.

but I am saying those numbers don't jive with his claim of 500tq just off idle, or how smooth the motor idles, or his admission that it isn't even tuned. the stuff that doesn't add up is the combination of claims that rolls out of his mouth.
I'll give you that, I'll say he does come off as a snake oil salesman.

I worked for Compcams off and on for almost 23 years, spent a few at Roush and Bobby Hamilton Racing, as an engineer when the guys at comp were 1st designing the G3 cams , some of those Chevy guys were..let's say confused at how flat the G3 Tq curve could be, I've seen some of those 4.05/4.08 crank G3s make as much as 475FT @ 2600 and not peak over 535 ft all the way up to high 6k.
One of the earliest cams was a .550/.559 lift 194/202 @.050 duration cam, 121 CL ran on a stock 03 tune we took it to Byhalia 1/8 mile track , just over the TN/MS border , went 8.90s (13.90s 1/4 conversion) on stock 03 tune. thru manifolds and a stock convertor 3.9ish gears considering the week before ran 9.70s at the same track as delivered, brand new truck came right off the trailer I think it was Bayird dodge in west Memphis, I left to Comp to work for BHR.

I stated the MPH was 103-105 in the 1/8 that was WAY wrong, that 103-105 is what the 1/8 mile MPH would of translated out for the 1/4 conversion.

·
Registered
2004 GTX
32 Posts
Well hi folks. I'm Tristyn.

Im currently in my first engine build... or paying for one at least... "building remotely" as I like to call it....

Im up in Fort McMurray, and my friend of 20 years, Dan, is down in Edmonton is doing the actual building. Hes been a mechanic for as long as I've known him, but his specialty has been repair, not performance builds, so there are some things even he cant answer for me.

While up til now, I've never been an engine guy, I learn by doing, and jumping in deep.... as you will soon see...

So to start off, I have a 2008 ram 5.7 4x4, minor valvetrain noise at idle, quickly turned into what will be about ~12K$ project mostly due to boredom.
Im keeping the truck forever, its in GREAT condition. i could fix it for under $2000, have a bit of fun on the top end for $4000, but the bottom end would still be 13 years old.....
So screw it! start fresh, just swap it when ready, minimal downtime.

The idea is a daily driver / super street pickup. no plans on going to the track more than once, just for the laugh of it.

So picked up a donor engine from an identical vehicle, 2008 ram, 5.7, tore it open and it was a beaute! $1800

Took the block to a machinist and had it bored, agligned, line bored, decked, & dipped, frost plugs removed and tapped the holes, ect. stuff... $2000
Manley stroker kit , pistons .010 over, only size piston in stock. $3000
Stock 08 ram heads, hand ported polished by a one-armed machinist. this guy palmed the head with his one hand and handed it to my buddy Dan. LOL $2000

heres the flow rates
View attachment 50297

doing some research about a new intake threw up some issues.... damn AC compressor is in the way... not loosing it.
so found a plan.
car timing cover, car accessory drive. electric rad fan.

So i purchased the Flex-a-lite 183 kit and installed the e-fan.
works great.
View attachment 50298

got about this far when i came across a website

and would ya look at that... basically what I was planning.... 650HP... really? cool!
well this list fills in some blanks....
injector size 47 lbs/hr
throttlebody 92mm
... and... whats this? March Accessory Drive kit? oh!!!!!! thats pretty! - Chrysler 5.7, 6.1 & 6.4 HEMI : Style Track - requires car timing cover.. hmmm... lets see if there is budget for this at the end... lol

So now Im working overtime to buy the next few grand of parts....
Camshaft and valvetrain next. Dans buddy is "running some numbers" in one of his programs to aide us in our cam choice.
it will be a Compcams cam plus springs, rocker assembly.

Things still need to figure out....
Stock PCM or aftermarket?
terminator x looks like a good fit for the engine, but dont think it will play with this transmission?? not sure.. this is where im stuck at the moment.
Complicating things maybe is, im starting with the stock 454RFE, but planning on 8HP70 swap later down the road... might also do a turbo too after the tranny....
so... yeah...
thats where im at...

Google Photos Album

Discuss... Advise.... Call me a moron...
I was just looking at those Flow #s , pretty dam good for a 2.0/1.55 valve combo....309/[email protected] and the EX to IN flow ratio is right where these G3s thrive(74% ), most other V8s need to be in the high 70's to 80% range, while the G3 works best in the 65-75% range..

·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
I'll give you that, I'll say he does come off as a snake oil salesman.
yea I got the same impression from him. the thing that rings the bs detector is the whole of everything he says, not any individual claim. I just don't like it when builders throw out unrealistic claims, I'm sure his motors put up nice numbers, there is no need to exaggerate them. big hp numbers and torque coming in like a diesel sure sounds nice but when you pick it apart it stops sounding real. I know that you obviously know these things, but a person who doesn't know would figure out that a piece of his claims was missing after they shell out 17 grand.

·
Stu
21,383 Posts
the HI -Ram is Nuts on a good working G3.
Been looking at the Holley High Ram for a little while now. Looks like it would work good under boost. Might loose some tq at the lower rpm's but, adding 4.56 gears to my 05 rc would bring some of the lost tq back. What's your thoughts on that basic setup Ray?

PS. Don't mean to hijack your thread Tristyn. Have to ask the question before I get busy doing other things and forget about the question I was going to ask... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2004 GTX
32 Posts
Been looking at the Holley High Ram for a little while now. Looks like it would work good under boost. Might loose some tq at the lower rpm's but, adding 4.56 gears to my 05 rc would bring some of the lost tq back. What's your thoughts on that basic setup Ray?

PS. Don't mean to hijack your thread Tristyn. Have to ask the question before I get busy doing other things and forget about the question I was going to ask... :rolleyes:
you won't lose that much TQ depending on the CI of the Turbo engine .

·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
He says the Holley Hi-Ram will fit on Dodge Ram trucks.

the hi ram will fit no problem. there is a lot more room above the heads than most guys think. I measured from the intake ports to the wiper cowl once and it was 16 or 18 inches or something like that.

·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Yeap, it's a tighter fit on the 02-08s It does not fit with the older heads and "adaptors" but any square port head it's fine , but what I've seen is there is still an issue with the TB hitting the AC and Alt .

moving your accessories out of the way can be easier (and cheaper) than you think

81 - 100 of 110 Posts