Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

On the freeway only doing about 65ish (traffic), found an open spot in the next land, hit the gas to speed up and switch lands, jerk in truck and a noise and now the truck is a paper weight..

Put it in any gear and step on gas and the tranny is making a noise. Tried putting it in 4W High and nothing, tried putting it in transfer case neutral and nothing, can't put it in 4W Low, transfer shifter will not go, and now it will not go back to 2W again either (this problem has been there since I had to replace the transfer case shift linkage about 1 - 1.5 months ago.. damn thing feel off the truck and had to buy a new one...).

Stealership told me that since FIAT took over they won't even work on a 05 transmission, I either have to buy a rebuild or new one. WTF?!

Soooooooooo...

Tomorrow I have to start calling around and see if I can find a good local repair shop and how much they are going to flock me over to fix or replace it...

Last time trans went bad was when I had 57K miles on it and the torque converter locked up and stripped the input shaft, it was under warranty so I didn't mind. Honestly, it's almost 57k miles since it was fixed (have about 109K miles on it now) and if this is all they are designed to last, this is totally FLOCKED UP!

Also going to check the truck tomorrow morning to see if there's any codes, I was too stressed out today to even think of checking.

And before anyone says it, YES the tranny oil is ok, I checked it last week and my son checked it while we waited about 1 FLOCKING HOUR for AAA to come tow it (put it on a flat bed).

I"ll update tomorrow..

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas...

Tail shaft is not broken, truck was in Park on the emergency parking lane and we couldn't move it.

I have a feeling that either it's the torque converter / input shaft again or maybe the bands finally died?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a quick check last night and no codes what so ever...

After my family, that truck is my life.. :(

·
Greg
19,956 Posts
Sounds like you need to get the transfer case to engage before any trans testing can be done...

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did test before I tried the different gears in the Transfer and it was the same all through out.

When the truck was parked on the freeway, it was in park and park was working so I know it's not in the back half of the transmission.

·
Administrator
17,778 Posts
Well if you went to oss then it kicked into 4c o it likely toasted the drum inside it very common.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you say that for us lessor knowledgeable people?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well..

It went into the shop today - NOT A STEALERSHIP and their $50,293,902 investigation charges...

I won't find anything out till tomorrow or Monday. Once they have what's wrong, it may take a week to 1.5 weeks before I get the truck back, they will do the repairs and if needed, rebuild in the shop, not some outside piece of crap..

·
Administrator
17,778 Posts
There a giant drum just behind the front pump in the trans. This drum gets used when downshifts are done mainly and it cooks itself. If it does trans won’t move.

·
Greg
19,956 Posts
You are a little distant from Riverside . Martin Saine could build you a better 545rfe than many others. But for heavy use as you already know it is not one of the better transmissions.

·
Stu
21,121 Posts
ATS Diesel now builds a new heavy duty high performance 545rfe trans with the Copilot. I've been using a Pro Edge 2800 tc that's been working like a 3000 stall tc behind my turbocharged 392(600+hp/tq). My ATS 545rfe trans and Copilot have been working flawlessly. Shifts very nicely. NOTE: It also has a Smart Tech OD hub assembly.

https://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums/f120/ats-transmissions-19050.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Ixlveajqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8IWpuqLphE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POHboZSKQ-k

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Red appreciate the thought but even if I was local there I could not afford it.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buggers in the Transmission shop was supposed to call me back this afternoon, I tried to call them and no answer...

Anywho, the person I talked to this morning has a strong belief that my transfer case went out on me, but as I said, he never called me back. I"m calling them first thing Monday morning.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're not the only one..

Guess I have to lighten up on the gas pedal.. this is the second time with trans problems. First time was at 57K miles and now about 53 or so K miles later it happens again.. :(

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got a hold of them this morning, they're pretty damn sure it's the transfer case but he told me he wanted to check to make sure nothing else was wrong with the transmission as well - never know what could have been pulled into it.

I should have had Dodge tell me what kind of transfer I had when I bought the truck and then would have told them to give me the more heavy duty one (preferably gear drive over chain drive)...

Guess chain drives have a heart attack if you're a little heavy on the gas like I am..

Gawd I miss the days...

https://youtu.be/lD18UiSM0Aw

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gawd I wish I had plenty of $$$!!!!!!

I had the truck transferred to another shop, I just had a feeling that the ******* in the first shop was trying to rip me off.

Got news from the second shop this morning and found out and don't understand WHY IN THE HOLY HELL DODGE put a light weight trans in a truck with a Hemi 4x4!!!!!

Anywho, he doesn't believe that there's anything wrong with the transfer case, instead it's in the transmission. I am inclined to believe them as my nephew had a transmission redone with them in a older Chevy and they did an outstanding job for him.

I'll know later today when they look inside.

As I mentioned before, my first transmission problem came when the truck hit 57k miles, the torque converter locked up and stripped the input shaft, it was under warranty, hopefully this is the only problem it has now and the cost may not be that much. I'm possibly looking at approx 4800 if it is worse :(

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the bad news yesterday morning, WHOLE trans has to be rebuilt, he sent me pictures of the parts and they don't look good. I had a trans problem before back at 57K miles, wondering now if dodge ever bothered to check and clean and repair the inside before? BET NOT!

Will know monday morning how the transfer case it, should be ok.. I HOPE!

·
Greg
19,956 Posts
Got the bad news yesterday morning, WHOLE trans has to be rebuilt, he sent me pictures of the parts and they don't look good. I had a trans problem before back at 57K miles, wondering now if dodge ever bothered to check and clean and repair the inside before? BET NOT!

Will know monday morning how the transfer case it, should be ok.. I HOPE!
An incompetent shop might not have flushed or replaced the trans cooler/lines when the trans was last overhauled.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts