Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has been the best mileage boosting mod on your moose? I am pulling 12mpg around home, and 15 on the highway, but keep hearing claims of some getting way better. I do have a factory extended warrenty, so I must be mindful of staying in their guidelines.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What has been the best mileage boosting mod on your moose? I am pulling 12mpg around home, and 15 on the highway, but keep hearing claims of some getting way better. I do have a factory extended warrenty, so I must be mindful of staying in their guidelines.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Boosting??? Did u say boosting???

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I would suggest you look through this thread titled "MPG's" it's right here under the "Moose info (Hemi Ram 2500/3500" area. I would look at what "Big Blue" has done to his truck. He gets pretty darn good mileage and hasn't done to much to his truck to get that mileage. He's really a good guy PM him if you have any questions.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by Camo:

Hmmm..thats about what I get with 37" tires..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2007 1500 mega cab 4x4 w/ 3.73 rear end. It is all stock for the exception of a ranch hand grill gaurd and heavy duty running boards.

This is my wife's daily driver, but when we take it on trips.....it's mine. I have tried driving the truck 2 different ways. I had someone on here tell me to "drive it like you stole it". And the other gentleman told me to just drive it easy.

Driving it like you stole didn't work! haha

We took it on a 4 hour trip and I did my best to keep the speed between 70-75 mpg. I averaged 16.4 mpg one way. To me that's not bad going through the hill country with a head wind. I didn't buy the truck for fuel economy, but you know I will settle for 16.4 mpg.

If you want better fuel mileage in a 3/4 ton gas.....then trade it in for a car.

That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
[SouthTx_Hemi07]We took it on a 4 hour trip and I did my best to keep the speed between 70-75 mpg. I averaged 16.4 mpg one way. To me that's not bad going through the hill country with a head wind. I didn't buy the truck for fuel economy, but you know I will settle for 16.4 mpg.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Originally posted by SouthTx_Hemi07:
That's what we thought Doc. I will wind up adding a cold-air intake. I'm curious how much of an increase I could have.
Although I use a cold air intake as well I'm guessing your gains will be slight. Couple the CAI with an exhaust that flows better and tuner then you should see a bit more of an increase. For heavy vehicles and/or those with additional wind resistance the 4.56 gears have been successful for mileage increases when speeds are kept at 70 or lower. There's always going to be a trade-off when you plot mileage, performance and your acceptability factor against the dollars you spend to achieve the goal. HemiFun05

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
For some odd reason mine is only getting 10-11 mpg's right now. It's running fine just really thirsty. I'm thinking bad O2 sensor because on occasion it will throw a code. I need to clean the pcv and throttle body also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
kinda late to the party, I've been off for awhile. My 15(2500) Megacab 4x4 only gets about 11mpg. The most I've ever gotten was on a 4 hour all highway trip and I managed about 15mpg. I've got a AirAid CAI and use a 3865 running the 91Tune and running 93 Octane fuel. I have noticed over the past 2 years that there are two main things that have made differences in mileage. When I first bought it, I averaged about 8-9mpg and everyone told me to wait till the engine had time to break in. Yeah right, so I thought, but as it turned out, as I put more miles on it, it actually has gotten better to a degree. After just over 30K, I know get between 10.5-12mpg driving easy and also applying some tricks that hypermilers use like neutral coasting, cutting the engine when in long lines that aren't moving. The next biggest thing seems to be the kind and brand of gas you use. I seem to get the best results from Sunoco here locally. I average about 1/2 mpg or better when running that 93oct gas. The others seem to get me right about 10.5-11mpg no matter what. The one brand I avoid at all costs is Hess. It works fine in all my other vehicles except my MegaCab. I can only get about 9mpg with that gas. Every tank in my area is labeled the same with the notice that these gasses may contain up to 10% Ethanol. I don't know if the others use less than 10% and Hess uses more or if t has to do with some other formulation they have. It's also strange to me how I can get similar mileage using it in my wife's Escape or my Bronco as with any other gas but the Hemi Hate Hess. Or Hess Hates my Hemi.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
My 2010 2500 is getting 15-16 in the city and 22-23 on the highway. I know the really changed the aero but I did not know that is helping make that big of a differance. It is better than my 2007 1500 with MDS was getting. I have 3.73 gears too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I down to 7.2 on my hemi quad cab 2003

Its gotten progresively worse over time
Cold air take is my only mod other than superchips tuner which is on 87 octane tune

Ive realized that header bolts had cracked and leaked, as its gotten wirse my milage has gone down
Never was better than 11.5 but it makes sense that a leak pre o2 would richen the computer based on o2 output

Going to do an exhaust soon and see how it changes the truck

·
SICKHEMI2004
242 Posts
i usually get if i conserve it between 15-17 and if i drive it like i stole it 10-12... and i got a 04 dodge 2500 4x4 with an iron bull bumper defender 4 and exhaust. weighs in a 6400lbs empty. so i dont think im doin to bad

·
Registered
10 Posts

I know this is older post, but here goes anyway. The whole mileage thing is very interesting as a Hemi "MOOSE" owner. I use my truck aka "TANK" for hauling a 4000LB boat now and then and a few times each summer I load up a 2000 lb pop up truck camper on it. Empty around town I usually around 13.5 MPG, It's a 04 QC 4x4 Hemi 3.73.

On a 6k long trip out west this year I got around 11, I feel the wind drag of the camper was mostly to blame, had lotsa wind and of course the high altitudes. When I pull the boat I am in the same ballpark.

When I am pulling or hauling with the 3.73 in Tow/Haul (T/H locks out 5th gear and changes some shift patterns), I find the truck jumps in and out of the torque converter in 4th. Makes me uncomfortable how often it does this. Also you cannot lock this tranny in 3rd where it would be nice to do so, in a headwind, in hilly areas etc. This is why I plan to do the 4.56 gears to bring my rpm's up. There is really only a 200-250 rpm difference between the 4th and 5th gears, I want to pick up at least 400-450 rpms at most speeds. Next year I'll report back and let you know if my mileage tanked, stayed the same, or improved slightly under the different conditions. One shop says my mileage will be 'terrible' with the 4.56. I think empty HWY may drop a bit, but I think I may see increases around town and hauling as it should be less strain on the motor and tranny. I hope the new gears ease the life of the tranny. The TANK may be a bit spunkier too-nice side effect. Any thoughts?

I'll try and get a picture in here soon, my photo file is at home and I am at work now...SHHH..haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is the picture of my Moose

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow! Most of you guys are getting great mileage compared to mine. I have an 03 2500 Quad cab 4x4, with cold air intake, Gibson swept side exhaust and a DiabloSport Tuner on 89 octane performance tune. Getting about 9 MPG empty, and 8 MPG when towing my camper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts