Hemi Truck Club banner
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
I would give Russell a holler at sound German engineering. Are you positive the transmission is in good working order?

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
I check the brake signal and seems to be working
Yes i can move the shifter but the transmission wont engage in any gear
Just stuck at P

I had this issue once. pm me your email address and I will send you a cal file that should resolve it.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
Went to the parts store the other day and got the starter, apparently there are different part numbers for different years.....So you have to know what vehicle and year your transmission came out of, which makes no sense to me why they would do this......

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Went to the parts store the other day and got the starter, apparently there are different part numbers for different years.....So you have to know what vehicle and year your transmission came out of, which makes no sense to me why they would do this......

ok but what are the differences? if its just the plug or something then that doesn't matter because the wiring needs to be spliced anyways. my first transmission was out of a 15 challenger and the one I am running now is from a 20 challenger, and the flex plate is from a ram truck, I have used the same starter (which is from a 15 challenger) for both transmissions.

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 · (Edited)
I can't see there being any physical differences between the starters, they all bolt up the same (as far as the car transmissions go) and the engagement has got to be the same between the cars and the trucks because the flex plates are interchangeable, and the blockss are all the same. I highly doubt you will run into any issues not knowing the particular make/model your transmission came from.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
I can't see there being any physical differences between the starters, they all bolt up the same (as far as the car transmissions go) and the engagement has got to be the same between the cars and the trucks because the flex plates are interchangeable, and the blockss are all the same. I highly doubt you will run into any issues not knowing the particular make/model your transmission came from.
have no clue what the differences are between the starters other than the part number, when I was in the store with the guy looking at the book. I went with what I was told my transmission came out of , 2016 charger/ Challenger parts fit.....

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
I have been looking to replace the structural dust cover. With the research I have done it also says that the Dust Structural Cover - Mopar (53021491AA)will fit 545 transmissions and the 6 speeds, I have that structural cover that fits 545 transmission ,and I know that will not work. Does anyone have an 8hp transmission from a Dodge ram?

·
Tyler
602 Posts
I have been using that plate for a long time with a newer style starter. I first converted because my old starter solenoid stuck out so far that it would interfere with the long tube headers for the eagle heads, where as the newer one had a much smaller solenoid and was tucked up right close to the engine block. I did a write up on here years ago about this swap and how I had to use the 8 speed plate as it is slightly different for the starter only.
I think I'm going to be able to provide better updates this weekend as I think I'm going to begin the swap. I went through my horde last weekend and I think I have everything to do this from start to finish.
Table Toy Office equipment Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: bada44

·
Tyler
602 Posts
Note the beautiful driveshaft. You're going to love that piece Mark, they build an amazing product.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
Note the beautiful driveshaft. You're going to love that piece Mark, they build an amazing product.
I I have the exact same driveshaft coming... But I went to East Coast Driveline Inc. aka Long Island Driveshaft...PAT BROWN - SHOP MANAGER Very knowledgeable and also told me about a discount coupon code that would save me a few extra bucks which he did not have to do....

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
I have been looking to replace the structural dust cover. With the research I have done it also says that the Dust Structural Cover - Mopar (53021491AA)will fit 545 transmissions and the 6 speeds, I have that structural cover that fits 545 transmission ,and I know that will not work. Does anyone have an 8hp transmission from a Dodge ram?
the cover from a truck transmission will not work because the bolt pattern is different. the only thing that you can buy that will will bolt up to the block and bellhousing is a car oil pan, it is the same pan for the NAG1 and 8HP cars. However this pan is a front sump and will not work in a truck. you are going to have to fabricate something as there is not a bolt on option. this is the car oil pan, and you can see why the front sump is not an option on these trucks. at one point I did stumble across an aftermarket dust cover, but it was just a thin piece of tin that bolted up to the transmission to cover the lower half and did not bolt to the engine. i have never been able to find it again but it wouldn't be worth buying even if a guy could find it.

Rectangle Building Auto part Composite material Font

Rectangle Composite material Automotive tire Automotive exterior Metal

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
also I did have the idea of buying a car oil pan and cutting it down and grinding away material until I was left with a piece that would bolt up. that would work in theory, but it doesn't work in reality. it is meant to mate to the pan rails, not to/over the truck oil pan. all I did was waste 150 bucks and ruin a nice aluminum oil pan.

I cut a piece of 1/4" plate to the proper shape and beveled it at the top so it fits behind the edge of the oil pan and welded on tabs with round spacers so it could be torqued to the block without compressing the oil pan, like how the truck dust covers are. I will see if I have a picture of it and I will post it if I find it.

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
I have been using that plate for a long time with a newer style starter. I first converted because my old starter solenoid stuck out so far that it would interfere with the long tube headers for the eagle heads, where as the newer one had a much smaller solenoid and was tucked up right close to the engine block. I did a write up on here years ago about this swap and how I had to use the 8 speed plate as it is slightly different for the starter only.
I think I'm going to be able to provide better updates this weekend as I think I'm going to begin the swap. I went through my horde last weekend and I think I have everything to do this from start to finish. View attachment 51005

is that a spacer for the flex plate?

·
Tyler
602 Posts
The truck parts catalogue lists it as a flywheel backing plate and it's just a thin piece of tin. I'm not sure it is actually required until I try bolting it up but I didn't want to get it all apart and then be missing just a simple plate if it is required.

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
The truck parts catalogue lists it as a flywheel backing plate and it's just a thin piece of tin. I'm not sure it is actually required until I try bolting it up but I didn't want to get it all apart and then be missing just a simple plate if it is required.

ah I see. something to consider with that would be your crank, maybe the spacer is needed on a factory truck crank but not an aftermarket one. I have no idea, I didn't even know it existed until now. what is your plan for tuning?

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
I did not have one of those spacers in between my flexplate and crankshaft for my 545 transmission.. my flexplate for my 8HP 70 did not come with one at the time of purchase or was suggested. I suppose before I go any further I should hook the starter up and see how it engages on the flux plate.

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
I did not have one of those spacers in between my flexplate and crankshaft for my 545 transmission.. my flexplate for my 8HP 70 did not come with one at the time of purchase or was suggested. I suppose before I go any further I should hook the starter up and see how it engages on the flux plate.
fwiw I have been running the 8hp without it for almost 3 years without one and there haven't been any issues.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts