Hemi Truck Club banner
141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Administrator
18,091 Posts
You will have to have a custom shaft made. Most places have a sheet that you take measurements following there instructions then send it to them and they will make a stick for your application

·
Tyler
602 Posts
I have already installed mine and measured yoke to yoke, it came out at 68 1/8". I then called Driveshaftpro as they have worked with Moe's Performance to design a custom shaft that won't fail. The guy I spoke to there knows all about this swap in our trucks.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
I have already installed mine and measured yoke to yoke, it came out at 68 1/8". I then called Driveshaftpro as they have worked with Moe's Performance to design a custom shaft that won't fail. The guy I spoke to there knows all about this swap in our trucks.
Armando is that who you spoke with? Very knowledgeable about the Dodge Rams.

Reactions: TYSENUS

·
Tyler
602 Posts
Reactions: bada44

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
How are you guys mounting your floor shifter? I have the jump seat in my truck and wanted to leave it, but there does not seem to be much room for the floor shifter if you were to open up the door for the cup holders. And I have been thinking about how I want to mount the transmission controller where do I drill the hole in the tunnel leading to the transmission if I leave everything inside the truck?

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
You mentioned that Satera did the trans tuning, did they also program your holley ECU for torque management or did you have to that on your own? I know the controller from sound german automotive comes with its own PCS software to get it set up. Did Satera do any tuning on that or do they just tune the TCM with HP tuners? I've got the SGA controller and holley terminator x max with the 8 speed in my car and it shifts but I can tell it needs some fine tuning to get it right. I am just trying to get an idea of where to start the tuning and what needs done.

sorry for the late response, I'm not on here much. no I didn't get satera to tune the Holley system, they're just too expensive. easy to justify for a big power build but not for a mild combo. there is a pwm output on the sound german harness that I use to trigger a timing retard map in the holley ecu. it's all explained in my writeup on the swap.

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Okay I have run into a little snag putting the 8 HP transmission up into the 05 ram.. the dust cover I have is for a starter that mounts on the passenger side.. My transmission is a driver side starter.. what dust cover would I need to use for driver side starter? I have done some research and found that jeep and RAM both have driver side starters. This transmission supposedly came from a charger.

the starters are all on the driver side. if you were referring to the starter locator plate having the starter on the passenger side, I'm guessing you just had the plate flipped.

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Okay folks the transmission is installed and there is no need for a special transmission mount I just modified the factory truck mount and was able to attach that to the transmission where the car mount went so it's all in a stock location. My mod is a little ugly but it works.Does anyone know how long the drive shaft would need to be I just did a quick glance and my drive shaft looks like it's about 12 in short.

View attachment 50958 View attachment 50959 View attachment 50957

you're aware you need a flange adapter for the trans output and a slip joint in the driveshaft, right?

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
How are you guys mounting your floor shifter? I have the jump seat in my truck and wanted to leave it, but there does not seem to be much room for the floor shifter if you were to open up the door for the cup holders. And I have been thinking about how I want to mount the transmission controller where do I drill the hole in the tunnel leading to the transmission if I leave everything inside the truck?
I built a pedestal/box/whatever on the floor where the transfer case shifter was and brought the wiring up through that hole. carpeted the box and that was that. I am going to do something else when I install different sets and a different console, but thats a job for another day.

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
I know I have been away for some time now but I figured I should check in and update. I have been accumulating the parts for this swap for awhile now and had the Sound German kit show up on Monday while expecting the driveshaft to show up sometime next month. The big question I have on this swap that concerns me is check engine lights being on, you said that using the HP tuner you could turn off all the codes that come up? I was going to use a 2005 manual transmission truck PCM I already have and just install my engine tune but being that I have to get a HP tuners for the transmission anyways, I would just use it to shut off the lights. Point being that I do not want any check engine lights on when this is done. Was that possible with your stock PCM?

if you use hptuners on your pcm then you can disable whichever codes you want and you won't have any lights on. a manual pcm is not needed for a transmission swap whether you are using hptuners on the pcm or not.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
the starters are all on the driver side. if you were referring to the starter locator plate having the starter on the passenger side, I'm guessing you just had the plate flipped.
There's actually a plate that puts the starter on the passenger side somehow that's the one I was sent. But I found the correct one and order that luckily they are cheap.

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
There's actually a plate that puts the starter on the passenger side somehow that's the one I was sent. But I found the correct one and order that luckily they are cheap.

the plate is the same as in any of the NAG1 cars

·
Tyler
602 Posts
I swapped a console from a 2019 and will be mounting my shifter in the bucket. This picture is from over a year ago on initial test fitting so I have some trim templates in place, and have a roll of faux leather fabric in slate grey to cover the sheet aluminum with to make it match the factory interior. I built brackets to bolt to the factory mounts for the center seat and then to bolt the factory mounts for the console. There will also be a plate to cover the bin where the shifter sits and the boot will clip right into it.

Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Tyler
602 Posts
I also have the wiring for the console so I can put the power and ground to the factory 12v outlet that is now covered near the floor. It will make it so I can actually use the USB hub in the console to charge a device. I will not be able to transfer data, but the radio doesn't need it so..

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
I swapped a console from a 2019 and will be mounting my shifter in the bucket. This picture is from over a year ago on initial test fitting so I have some trim templates in place, and have a roll of faux leather fabric in slate grey to cover the sheet aluminum with to make it match the factory interior. I built brackets to bolt to the factory mounts for the center seat and then to bolt the factory mounts for the console. There will also be a plate to cover the bin where the shifter sits and the boot will clip right into it.

View attachment 50962

looks good

Reactions: TYSENUS

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,112 Posts
Yes, it does look good I bet it was expensive.

·
Tyler
602 Posts
Yes, it does look good I bet it was expensive.
It ran me about $300 for the console. The shifter ran me $150 because they obviously had no idea what those shifter handles are worth. I replaced the old handle with a new one as well. The brackets I built in my shop with some 1/4" flat iron and my welder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice and clear write up

I just finished installing my 8hp70 and the 545rfe is out
The issue am having is the transmission wont engage out of park
I checked the park release and it is not engaged, the brake signal input is received but no joy

when i override the shifter and select a desired gear, the leaver position will indicate the correct shifter position but the gear will stay in P

Font Handwriting Line Parallel Technology

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 · (Edited)
Very nice and clear write up

I just finished installing my 8hp70 and the 545rfe is out
The issue am having is the transmission wont engage out of park
I checked the park release and it is not engaged, the brake signal input is received but no joy

when i override the shifter and select a desired gear, the leaver position will indicate the correct shifter position but the gear will stay in P

View attachment 50972

have you tried just directly grounding the brake switch input on the harness? or it would be easier to just go to the digital inputs and invert input #1. if it isn't an issue with the brake switch input (yes i did see that you said the controller is seeing the signal) them I would look to the shifter. it might be something as simple as the connector not being plugged in properly. or are you saying that you are able to move the shifter but the transmission won't go into gear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
have you tried just directly grounding the brake switch input on the harness? or it would be easier to just go to the digital inputs and invert input #1. if it isn't an issue with the brake switch input (yes i did see that you said the controller is seeing the signal) them I would look to the shifter. it might be something as simple as the connector not being plugged in properly. or are you saying that you are able to move the shifter but the transmission won't go into gear?
I check the brake signal and seems to be working
Yes i can move the shifter but the transmission wont engage in any gear
Just stuck at P

141 - 160 of 177 Posts