Hemi Truck Club banner
121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Proud Canadian
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Went over to help Mark(bada44) get his ATS 545rfe trans in his truck. While I was there, he showed me the 8HP70 trans. It's a little smaller and lighter than the 545rfe trans. Thought the 8HP70 trans was bigger and weighed more... That's a nice surprise. (y)

it's 30-ish pounds lighter. and there are no clearance issues anywhere, which is very nice.

Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Registered
2009 Ram 1500 4x4 - 8" - 37's - 4.56's - 6.1 cammed
1 Posts
First thing - Amazing thread. I am looking to do this soon as I just had a new VB put in my 4yr old 545. Here is my truck as is:

2009 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Quad cab 6.5' bed | 8" Lift | 37's | 4.56 gears| 6.1L (5.7 based) | GR .5HL v2 Thump cam

I have a trans from a 2017 Ram 1500 8HP70 and am ordering the SGA kit with Shifter. I am going to stick with my 4.56's I think, just because of my big 37's (probably going to 38" or 40" soon)

What is needed?
1. 8HP70 Truck Flex Plate - 4752574AB
2. 8HP70 Pilot Bushing - 4736283AA
3. 8HP70 Cooler lines - 52014804AI (I can run these to my current trans cooler in the radiator correct? My 545 runs about 170-200 right now.
4. SGA says to modify my crossmember as needed. What is needing to be done here?
5. Front Driveshaft Spacer. Anyone have a link for this?
6. Front Engine Diff Mount "Cut 545 one and weld to 8hp70 one". Any pics of this from anyone? 8spd mount = 68149798AB
7. Do I need a new Started as well or will my truck one work since its a truck 8spd going in?

Also with the Gear indicator is there anyway to get the EVIC to show the gear by wiring into it instead of a gauge?

Let me know If I am missing anything. I am hoping that my truck being an 09 that it will be more straight forward. Also with the 8" lift it is easy to get under and get it done :)

·
Super Moderator
10,867 Posts
First thing - Amazing thread. I am looking to do this soon as I just had a new VB put in my 4yr old 545. Here is my truck as is:

2009 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Quad cab 6.5' bed | 8" Lift | 37's | 4.56 gears| 6.1L (5.7 based) | GR .5HL v2 Thump cam

I have a trans from a 2017 Ram 1500 8HP70 and am ordering the SGA kit with Shifter. I am going to stick with my 4.56's I think, just because of my big 37's (probably going to 38" or 40" soon)

What is needed?
3. 8HP70 Cooler lines - 52014804AI (I can run these to my current trans cooler in the radiator correct? My 545 runs about 170-200 right now.
4. SGA says to modify my crossmember as needed. What is needing to be done here?
6. Front Engine Diff Mount "Cut 545 one and weld to 8hp70 one". Any pics of this from anyone? 8spd mount = 68149798AB
7. Do I need a new Started as well or will my truck one work since its a truck 8spd going in?

Also with the Gear indicator is there anyway to get the EVIC to show the gear by wiring into it instead of a gauge?

Let me know If I am missing anything. I am hoping that my truck being an 09 that it will be more straight forward. Also with the 8" lift it is easy to get under and get it done :)
Welcome to our HEMI Family!! (y)

Reactions: RAMTRPR

·
John
4,225 Posts

What is needed?

White Product Font Line Magenta
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Grille

·
Registered
1 Posts
You mentioned that Satera did the trans tuning, did they also program your holley ECU for torque management or did you have to that on your own? I know the controller from sound german automotive comes with its own PCS software to get it set up. Did Satera do any tuning on that or do they just tune the TCM with HP tuners? I've got the SGA controller and holley terminator x max with the 8 speed in my car and it shifts but I can tell it needs some fine tuning to get it right. I am just trying to get an idea of where to start the tuning and what needs done.

·
Tyler
602 Posts
I know I have been away for some time now but I figured I should check in and update. I have been accumulating the parts for this swap for awhile now and had the Sound German kit show up on Monday while expecting the driveshaft to show up sometime next month. The big question I have on this swap that concerns me is check engine lights being on, you said that using the HP tuner you could turn off all the codes that come up? I was going to use a 2005 manual transmission truck PCM I already have and just install my engine tune but being that I have to get a HP tuners for the transmission anyways, I would just use it to shut off the lights. Point being that I do not want any check engine lights on when this is done. Was that possible with your stock PCM?

Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,111 Posts
I know I have been away for some time now but I figured I should check in and update. I have been accumulating the parts for this swap for awhile now and had the Sound German kit show up on Monday while expecting the driveshaft to show up sometime next month. The big question I have on this swap that concerns me is check engine lights being on, you said that using the HP tuner you could turn off all the codes that come up? I was going to use a 2005 manual transmission truck PCM I already have and just install my engine tune but being that I have to get a HP tuners for the transmission anyways, I would just use it to shut off the lights. Point being that I do not want any check engine lights on when this is done. Was that possible with your stock PCM?
I am in the middle of doing this swap and I'm going to test that theory and see if the transmission light stays out.

·
Super Moderator
10,867 Posts
You mentioned that Satera did the trans tuning, did they also program your holley ECU for torque management or did you have to that on your own? I know the controller from sound german automotive comes with its own PCS software to get it set up. Did Satera do any tuning on that or do they just tune the TCM with HP tuners? I've got the SGA controller and holley terminator x max with the 8 speed in my car and it shifts but I can tell it needs some fine tuning to get it right. I am just trying to get an idea of where to start the tuning and what needs done.
Welcome to our Hemi Family!! (y)

·
John
4,225 Posts
Font Rectangle Art Brand Graphics
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Grille

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,111 Posts
Okay I have run into a little snag putting the 8 HP transmission up into the 05 ram.. the dust cover I have is for a starter that mounts on the passenger side.. My transmission is a driver side starter.. what dust cover would I need to use for driver side starter? I have done some research and found that jeep and RAM both have driver side starters. This transmission supposedly came from a charger.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,111 Posts
What was the final outcome of the ATS 545rfe trans and Copilot Mark?
I put back in the box and sending it back to ATS. Clint is working on electronics that will plug into the wiring harness making the TCM in the truck think that the transmission is still there.

• Sad
Reactions: arocketman

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,111 Posts
I found the correct dust cover starter location plate, and ordered it today. I should have it in about 5 or 6 days.

Reactions: arocketman

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,111 Posts

·
Tyler
602 Posts
That is for 4wd only. I bought 68147349AB bracket and the mount for the truck 2wd trans to mount. I am unsure if this will even bolt up to a car transmission. I haven't test fitted it yet so I will have to update on that later.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,111 Posts
Okay folks the transmission is installed and there is no need for a special transmission mount I just modified the factory truck mount and was able to attach that to the transmission where the car mount went so it's all in a stock location. My mod is a little ugly but it works.Does anyone know how long the drive shaft would need to be I just did a quick glance and my drive shaft looks like it's about 12 in short.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Rim Auto part
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting

Attachments

121 - 140 of 177 Posts