Hemi Truck Club banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

Β·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I have two shifters, starter locator plate, starter, sound German controller, wot box, crankshaft bushing, flex plate, torque converter bolts, need to make transmission mount and get drive shaft.. am I missing anything?
....why do you have two shifters?

you will need to do something about the bellhousing cover, and you may have to modify the starter wire, but that is nothing to worry about. do you have any of the factory pieces for the rear mount? and what are you using to attach the driveshaft to the transmission?

what year of truck is this going into?

Β·
Mark G Senior Member
03Ram Stock & 05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,048 Posts
My truck is an 05 2door.. I bought the rotary shifter first, but Russell sets his harness up for the floor shifter and it was going to cost $65 just to buy the plug to switch it. So apparently the handle I bought I thought was the shifter, and it was only a 100 bucks, My thought was why spend $65 for just a plug when I can have the correct shifter for his harness for $100..... It looks like some of the factory rear mount pieces are there attached to the transmission.. and the bottom cover of the bell housing I forgot about. I guess I'm going to need to try to find a factory cover from one of the cars I guess.. any suggestions?

Β·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
the bottom cover of the bell housing I forgot about. I guess I'm going to need to try to find a factory cover from one of the cars I guess.. any suggestions?
I addressed this in the initial writeup, the cars don't have a separate cover, it is integrated into the oil pan, it is all one casting. You can't use a car oil pan because they're a front sump and won't work in a truck. I went to the garage to take a picture of the factory truck cover against the bottom of an 8HP70 to show you how different they are but I need a helper because I am doing everything one handed (shoulder surgery) so I couldn't both hold the cover and snap the pic. You can't use a truck cover either, because the lower bellhousing on the truck 8HP70 is different than the car transmissions.

Β·
Administrator
17,957 Posts
Ok that cooler will work persay but hear this. If you use coolant from the motor it will heat your trans fluid to match it and no more. If trans goes above it will pull heat out and put into engine. So it’s basically a balance cooler not an actual cooler. Run a big dual row cooler out front from DERALE or something like that! I run a dual row that I welded 8AN bungs onto never went over 165 beating it up!

Β·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Ok that cooler will work persay but hear this. If you use coolant from the motor it will heat your trans fluid to match it and no more. If trans goes above it will pull heat out and put into engine. So it’s basically a balance cooler not an actual cooler. Run a big dual row cooler out front from DERALE or something like that! I run a dual row that I welded 8AN bungs onto never went over 165 beating it up!

ZF states the operating temperature of the 8HP70 to be 175-195 degrees Fahrenheit. they engineered it (and the fluid) to run hot for maximum efficiency. 176 degrees to be exact

Β·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts

Β·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·

Β·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts
I remember now reading this but I am not much of a fabricator so what do I do? Probably should have been looking for a transmission out of a truck.🀯

Β·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I remember now reading this but I am not much of a fabricator so what do I do? Probably should have been looking for a transmission out of a truck.🀯
you could do what this guy did

the cover i made for my truck bolts to the block and transmission and has a removable access plate in the middle. i have seen other covers before just made out of a piece of tin like in that video, but I wanted mine to have some strength and bolt up to both the transmission and the block.

Β·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·

Β·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts

Β·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Yes,I was thinking there must be a cheaper way. I have some brackets I think I can make work.

the first thing that I was sure to mention about doing this swap is that it gets expensive. shit just adds up.

don't jump over a dollar to pick up a dime, be sure to do things correctly the first time. whatever you set up to bolt to your block needs to be bolted securely, but can't put pressure on your oilpan or it will cause it to distort a bit and leak. there isn't much room to work around the oil pan and thats why I didn't mention what I did, because if it isn't done correctly then you can damage your oil pan or at least cause it to leak a bit.

just take your time with whatever you are doing and ensure that it is done correctly.

Β·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts
Good advice! I always make sure that I do things right , but also trying to look for alternative ways..... I am not afraid of a challenge but I am a little handicapped when it comes to fabricating stuff, age it kind of creeps up on you!

Β·
Mark G Senior Member
2,048 Posts

Β·
Red Trucker
280 Posts
Have you purchased these? I just noticed that underfitment this is what it says.

For Use With NAG1, HP70, HP90, and TR6060 Cars (not compatible with truck versions) Only
By version they mean transmission. The car and truck trannies are different. Like say for using a car trans in a truck or some non oem install car.

Β·
Proud Canadian
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·

Β·
Stu
21,383 Posts
Went over to help Mark(bada44) get his ATS 545rfe trans in his truck. While I was there, he showed me the 8HP70 trans. It's a little smaller and lighter than the 545rfe trans. Thought the 8HP70 trans was bigger and weighed more... That's a nice surprise. (y)

101 - 120 of 126 Posts