Hemi Truck Club banner
381 - 400 of 406 Posts

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
verify that you are on the correct fuel injector wire. you do NOT want to be on the brown wire with the white stripe. you want to be on the OTHER wire to that injector.
verify again that you are on the correct fuel injector wire.
verify the wire a third time.
open a new session
start the truck
connect to the controller
read the cal file
set tps min to 0.45v
press enter
set tps max to 4.5v
press enter
set speed input 1 to 0.5
press enter
save the cal file to your computer
with that cal file open, click write calibration
turn everything off
start the truck again and if this was all done correctly then things should work
I verified the fuel injector it is on the correct wire, RPM still does not work and it was clearly working in the video that I uploaded... Made all of the calibration changes and the shifter still blinks red.

· Proud Canadian
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
I verified the fuel injector it is on the correct wire, RPM still does not work and it was clearly working in the video that I uploaded... Made all of the calibration changes and the shifter still blinks red.
open the pcs software and connect to the controller. click read calibration. once it reads the controller, go to the speeds folder and post a pic of that. also post a pic of your main torque map

• Helpful
Reactions: arocketman

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
open the pcs software and connect to the controller. click read calibration. once it reads the controller, go to the speeds folder and post a pic of that. also post a pic of your main torque map
Okay, so I got a phone call from Russell, and he used TeamViewer to log into my computer and went through his normal procedures. And within 30 seconds he said the main plug is not in all the way on the transmission. Lo and behold the collar was preventing the plug from plugging in to the transmission it was not located in the right place on the actual plug. Once that was corrected. He made a couple of setting changes in the calibration. And now everything works. I can't thank you enough for all of your suggestions and ideas to get this working. Now I can go ahead and make all the permanent connections with the wiring. He did mention that I would might need a tech driver, the data log showed a huge Spike up and down.

· Proud Canadian
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 · (Edited)
please do not attempt to tune your transmission yourself. after all this I can assure you that it would not be a good idea.

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
please do not attempt to tune your transmission yourself.
I appreciate your concern, but I assure you I'm a much better computer Guy that I am an installer of wires.

· Proud Canadian
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
I appreciate your concern, but I assure you I'm a much better computer Guy that I am an installer of wires.

tomorrow or sunday I will send you a stock tcm file to look at so you can see what I mean.

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
I am going to read my Challenger. With HP tunes so I can compare the difference.

· Proud Canadian
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
I am going to read my Challenger. With HP tunes so I can compare the difference.

is it an 8 speed? if so then it will all basically be the same as what I would send, my transmission is from a car so any differences would be extremely minor

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
is it an 8 speed? if so then it will all basically be the same as what I would send, my transmission is from a car so any differences would be extremely minor
Yes it is an 8-speed. It's actually a 2021 Challenger. I wanted to see what the differences would be from 2015 to now. And to tell you the truth because of this car is the reason why I wanted the 8-speed in my truck. I actually really like the way the car shifts stock.

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
The wiring in this swap with this transmission, makes me feel like a retard.. so those of you looking to do this, you must automatically accept the pitfalls you're going to have doing it. This has been a test of my abilities.. I am much older than most of you. do not get discouraged this upgrade will be well worth it in the long run. Just thank the people on this thread who are willing to help!

· Proud Canadian
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Yes it is an 8-speed. It's actually a 2021 Challenger. I wanted to see what the differences would be from 2015 to now. And to tell you the truth because of this car is the reason why I wanted the 8-speed in my truck. I actually really like the way the car shifts stock.

yeah it would be the same as my file as my transmission is out of a 2020 challenger. actually that's only half true, nevermind. the trans is out of a 2020 but the tcm is out of a 2015. I originally installed a 2015 8spd but bought and installed another transmission as I was having shifting issues with the first one (which ended up just being fluid level, whoops). the 2015 tcm was already tuned so I just stuck it in the new transmission.

I'm not sure what all is different between the two years but it's not much as far as I know. and for hard parts i think they're pretty much identical. I can't read minds but I can assure you that there is a lot more involved in tuning this transmission than you are thinking. the amount of adjustability in the programming is insane. tuning a 545rfe is fairly straightforward and simple even for a newbie but that's like an abacus compared to digging into the 8hp.

Reactions: HemiLonestar

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
So today I actually drove the truck around the block.. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a tack driver. The transmission was acting a little funny sometimes just stepping on the gas pedal to move up the driveway where it seemed like it was locking up.. with the Data logger with Russell we noticed a big spike up and down with RPM, he said that would throw the transmission into limp mode.

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
Okay, so I am going to need to use a tack driver. Do I use the coil or crank sensor. And which wire would I use?

· Proud Canadian
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Okay, so I am going to need to use a tack driver. Do I use the coil or crank sensor. And which wire would I use?

to run a tach driver you will wire it inline with the 12v feed to the coils.

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
to run a tach driver you will wire it inline with the 12v feed to the coils.
Thanks for the quick reply bud! Any coil? And the wot box will need to know what coil not to turn off for torque reduction.

· Proud Canadian
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Thanks for the quick reply bud! Any coil? And the wot box will need to know what coil not to turn off for torque reduction.
the wot box interrupts a single wire. it will interrupt the 12v feed to 7 of your coils and the 12v feed to the remaining coil will be routed through the tach driver. the signal generated by the tach driver will be the rpm signal for the transmission and wot box.

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
the wot box interrupts a single wire. it will interrupt the 12v feed to 7 of your coils and the 12v feed to the remaining coil will be routed through the tach driver. the signal generated by the tach driver will be the rpm signal for the transmission and wot box.
Okay, so where do I get the power wire for the tach driver?

· Proud Canadian
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Okay, so where do I get the power wire for the tach driver?
the wiring diagram included with whichever tach driver you buy will show you how it is to be wired up.

· Registered
2004 GTX
79 Posts
After seeing the write up, I guess it's safe to assume the 545RFE isn't a candidate to rebuild using aftermarket stronger internal's that to make it handle what guy's are throwing at them? That swap is a major deal.
No it's not, it's major weak link in the 03-08's, the RFE65 is a little better, but only because of the Computer in the 4th Gen rams.

If you need the Automatic shift by it's self trans....the 8sp is the best way to go....it's on the high end as far as swaps go but the drivability can not be matched.

381 - 400 of 406 Posts