Hemi Truck Club banner
201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Proud Canadian
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Will that phone number except an incoming phone call? I don't have WhatsApp.

whatsapp is far easier for me because I am at work and can't always respond to the phone, and I am in and out of network coverage right now anyways.

·
Tyler
614 Posts
give me your email address and I will send you my cal file, load it into your controller and that will either fix the issue or eliminate the software side from being the cause.
I received a call from Russell a bit ago. I am going to swap the pin 38 (speed 1) to pin 24 (speed 3). It is a possibility that it could have back fed a voltage spike causing this issue, in the event that it starts reading raw data upon connecting it then I will change the programming for speed 3.

·
Tyler
614 Posts
It worked! So Russell thinks it might have been a bad coil back feed that could have messed the speed 1 input. I swapped the rpm input to pin 24 and then calibrated it for speed 3, instant rpm signal! I then could move the shifter through the gears except I have the manual park release zip tied in place so I could push it in and out of the shop for the day till I figured it out. I'll cut that and cycle it through the gears to get my fluid level process done, then it's on to the wiring cleanup and relooming.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,136 Posts
Excellent.....😎

·
Proud Canadian
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
It worked! So Russell thinks it might have been a bad coil back feed that could have messed the speed 1 input. I swapped the rpm input to pin 24 and then calibrated it for speed 3, instant rpm signal! I then could move the shifter through the gears except I have the manual park release zip tied in place so I could push it in and out of the shop for the day till I figured it out. I'll cut that and cycle it through the gears to get my fluid level process done, then it's on to the wiring cleanup and relooming.
what are you doing for torque management and tuning?

·
Tyler
614 Posts
what are you doing for torque management and tuning?
I'm not doing anything about torque management. Russell said that with proper tuning there are HP70's holding more power than mine is without it. The tuning will probably be done by CCMR in Spruce Grove.

·
Proud Canadian
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 · (Edited)
I'm not doing anything about torque management. Russell said that with proper tuning there are HP70's holding more power than mine is without it. The tuning will probably be done by CCMR in Spruce Grove.

to each their own, but a little food for thought...when you consider the time, money, and f-ing around that you will have put into this project, is it worth it to not spend 300 bucks on a 2 step to make life easier on your transmission....?

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Rectangle

just a thought 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Tyler
614 Posts
I already have the 2 step. I figured I would try it as he told me he has been seeing high power units hold up with proper tuning. I ran with it completely disabled on my last trans for over a decade, as long as I didn't do the dreaded RFE downshift it held up fine.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,136 Posts
My two cents,After what I have been through with my rfe transmission, I'm not taking any chances I bought the two step and will be using it whether it is needed or not it's still good insurance.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,136 Posts

·
Proud Canadian
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 · (Edited)
I already have the 2 step. I figured I would try it as he told me he has been seeing high power units hold up with proper tuning. I ran with it completely disabled on my last trans for over a decade, as long as I didn't do the dreaded RFE downshift it held up fine.

yes, but this is a different transmission. when more gearsets and clutch packs are crammed into the same amount of space, compromises need to be made. sure there are guys running with no torque management, but that doesn't mean that it is harmless to the transmission or that it is a good idea.

if you run that 2 step, your transmission will live longer, period. it will also (when properly tuned) shift faster as well. I pull 32 degrees of timing during shifts and i do not notice it at all. the transmission shifts lightning quick with no flare, part throttle or wide open, doesn't matter. i do have a very good tune in it, but all torque management is left in the tune. as long as it is tuned to shift properly, TM is not noticeable. it is on the factory tune though.

·
Proud Canadian
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,136 Posts
I know of a few guys that have 60 ft that fast.....

·
Proud Canadian
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
think of it like this.

per the settings in your tune, your transmission will complete a shift in 0.xxx seconds. let's say that at full song your engine is making 500ft-lb. the oncoming clutch is the only part in the entire vehicle that is working to pull the engine rpm down to achieve the new ratio.

think for a moment about what the oncoming clutch is tasked with. it has a fraction of a second to drag down the speed of a 397ci stroker by 1000+ rpm, while it is running wide open. that is a lot to ask of it. and when the clutch pack is at full pressure, if the input/output shafts are not turning at anything but the new ratio then your fully applied clutch pack is slipping.

of course clutches are designed to slip, I mean that is the entire reason for their existence, to slip until what each side each side of them is connected to is moving at the same speed. but as you know, use and abuse are different things, and WOT shifts with no torque management definitely cross the line from one to the other.

think about what the oncoming clutch is up against. say you're shifting at 6400rpm. let's go with that 500ft-lb number I threw out there. on a 2-3 shift, the oncoming clutch has to pull your motor down to 4,300rpm.

so it starts applying against 6,400rpm and 500ft-lb. now consider two things that a lot of people do not realize. when that clutch is slowing that motor down, it is taking on more than that 500ft-lb due to mass momentum, aka the flywheel effect. also, since your WOT shifts are at or beyond your horsepower peak, the torque output of your motor is actually increasing as the rpm is dropping during the shift. you are dragging the motor down from an rpm after its torque peak right back up to and through peak torque, and then on down until the transmission achieves the new ratio. and then after that brief hell that the clutch pack just went through, it is now hit with increasing incoming torque as the rpm rises and torque increases until the next gear change and then the process repeats in another clutch pack. it's actually pretty incredible how many times these parts can be subjected to these stresses and survive.

anyways, onto the 2 step. the pcs controller doesn't send a torque management signal on every shift, just when the tcm inside the transmission calls for it. if your 2 step cuts spark, it is only while the tcm wants the power reduction, and it will result in a quicker shift. using the 2 step means your transmission will do everything i talked about above, but without fighting against an engine producing peak power. this will always result in a quicker shift and longer clutch life. same concept as shifting a manual transmission with your right foot on or off the floor, one of those methods is a heck of a lot easier on parts than the other.

with proper tuning, running torque management is better for performance than running without it. I read an EXCELLENT post by a tuner on a Hellcat forum but for the life of me I can't find it. He gave a very detailed explanation of this subject, and he discussed how the Hellcats they were tuning ran faster at the track with torque management than with it eliminated. the faster the shift can be completed and the clutches fully engaged, the sooner you have all the energy from the engine back to propelling the vehicle forward rather than being wasted as heat being put into the clutches and fluid.

Just my $2.00 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,136 Posts
email I received.
On Thu, Jun 2, 2022, 12:43 PM Mark * <
[email protected]
I have a question about RPM, will I need a tach driver for it to work correctly? I have a 05 Ram.

N2MB Racing
<[email protected]>
Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 5:35 PM
To: Mark * <[email protected]>
No, you do not.
Yes, the WOT Box will work on your vehicle.
You can order the WOT Box here:
npcompleteperformance.com/
wotbox/
Please order the WOT Box directly through our website, rather than through a reseller, for the fastest support andwarranty service.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Jon

·
Proud Canadian
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
email I received.
On Thu, Jun 2, 2022, 12:43 PM Mark * <
[email protected]

I have a question about RPM, will I need a tach driver for it to work correctly? I have a 05 Ram.

N2MB Racing
<[email protected]>
Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 5:35 PM
To: Mark * <[email protected]>
No, you do not.
Yes, the WOT Box will work on your vehicle.
You can order the WOT Box here:
npcompleteperformance.com/
wotbox/
Please order the WOT Box directly through our website, rather than through a reseller, for the fastest support andwarranty service.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Jon

yeah it just needs an rpm signal, grab one off a fuel injector

·
Proud Canadian
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,136 Posts
when you wire in the tach driver, run the 12v wire from just one cylinder through it, doesn't matter which cylinder, and then adjust your pulses per rev in the pcs software.

for your throttle signal, go to the APPS rsther than the TPS. what year is your truck? if it is an 03 or 04 then it is under the hood, if its an 05 then (as I'm sure you know) you'll have to go to the pedal assembly. you can grab it from the pcm if you want, but it is more of a pain in the ass to dig into those harnesses.

all you need to do to remedy the problem of the stock transmission being in the truck is to ground pin #4 in your factory transmission plug. it is a yellow wire with a dark blue stripe. doing this will make the truck think it is in park/neutral all the time. you do not need a manual transmission pcm. it doesn't matter what anyone tells you, you do N-O-T need a pcm for a manual transmission truck.

View attachment 51035
Can you use pin number 22 as the grounding point? Or does it need to go to the body of the truck or frame?

·
Proud Canadian
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Can you use pin number 22 as the grounding point? Or does it need to go to the body of the truck or frame?
you can if you want, it doesn't matter. they all end up in the same place.

Reactions: bada44
201 - 220 of 231 Posts