Hemi Truck Club banner
181 - 200 of 265 Posts

·
Tyler
624 Posts
Contact Russell at sound German.. you may not get him this weekend but I'm sure he will call you back as soon as possible. He called me out of the blue just to check up on me and make sure I didn't have any questions.
I already shot him an email. I'm sure he will have some insight.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,141 Posts
I already shot him an email. I'm sure he will have some insight.
I'm sure you'll get it figured out, and when you do I'm going to need help because I suck when it comes to wiring stuff up!!!lol

·
Tyler
624 Posts
That guy uses the can bus connector though for the Mopar crate ecu. We don't use that.

·
Tyler
624 Posts
I'm sure you'll get it figured out, and when you do I'm going to need help because I suck when it comes to wiring stuff up!!!lol
I have no claim to fame with wiring either. Though I did manage to do my 2005 pcm swap in a weekend without so much as a single check engine lamp, but I studied the pinouts for months before I tore into it where as I started this before I read the instructions lol.

Reactions: bada44

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I am at a stand still with this wiring. For what should have been the easiest part of this to figure out, I'm having the hardest time. It seems as though everything is working correctly except for the rpm input. I had it wiring directly to #1 coil to at least get it up and working, no dice. I bought a tach driver from Autometer, it was the only thing even remotely close by for me, and wired it exactly as shown in their instructions which has to wired correctly or else the truck would no longer run on all cylinders.. no dice. I set up the ppr for 4, just like their instructions said and I get nothing. as I said before, everything seems to working correctly and is displaying except for the rpm. Of course I cannot shift it out of park without a rpm reading and I haven't tried over riding it. The only other thing is the 5v ref for the throttle goes down as soon as the check engine light comes on, but with the obvious stock trans missing I would imagine that removing those codes will bring back the 5v without further issue.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

when you wire in the tach driver, run the 12v wire from just one cylinder through it, doesn't matter which cylinder, and then adjust your pulses per rev in the pcs software.

for your throttle signal, go to the APPS rsther than the TPS. what year is your truck? if it is an 03 or 04 then it is under the hood, if its an 05 then (as I'm sure you know) you'll have to go to the pedal assembly. you can grab it from the pcm if you want, but it is more of a pain in the ass to dig into those harnesses.

all you need to do to remedy the problem of the stock transmission being in the truck is to ground pin #4 in your factory transmission plug. it is a yellow wire with a dark blue stripe. doing this will make the truck think it is in park/neutral all the time. you do not need a manual transmission pcm. it doesn't matter what anyone tells you, you do N-O-T need a pcm for a manual transmission truck.

Font Material property Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
might I suggest just asking someone who has been running this setup for a couple years already.

I just happen to know a guy. 😶

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,141 Posts
might I suggest just asking someone who has been running this setup for a couple years already.

I just happen to know a guy. 😶
I would have figured by now you be tired of my stupid questions...... 🤯 I was reading through the post again, I sound like a babbling idiot..... I can't believe how forgetful I am.

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
I would have figured by now you be tired of my stupid questions...... 🤯 I was reading through the post again, I sound like a babbling idiot..... I can't believe how forgetful I am.
doesn't matter to me, the whole purpose of this thread was to put info out there so other guys who are doing this trans swap go into it with more info and have an easier time doing it rather than having to figure things out as they go.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,141 Posts
doesn't matter to me, the whole purpose of this thread was to put info out there so other guys who are doing this trans swap go into it with more info and have an easier time doing it rather than having to figure things out as they go.
You are a true asset to this thread/community, and thank you for starting it and putting up with the stupid questions!

Reactions: arocketman

·
Tyler
624 Posts
when you wire in the tach driver, run the 12v wire from just one cylinder through it, doesn't matter which cylinder, and then adjust your pulses per rev in the pcs software.

for your throttle signal, go to the APPS rsther than the TPS. what year is your truck? if it is an 03 or 04 then it is under the hood, if its an 05 then (as I'm sure you know) you'll have to go to the pedal assembly. you can grab it from the pcm if you want, but it is more of a pain in the ass to dig into those harnesses.

all you need to do to remedy the problem of the stock transmission being in the truck is to ground pin #4 in your factory transmission plug. it is a yellow wire with a dark blue stripe. doing this will make the truck think it is in park/neutral all the time. you do not need a manual transmission pcm. it doesn't matter what anyone tells you, you do N-O-T need a pcm for a manual transmission truck.

View attachment 51035
I have ran a single coil, I have ran a signal from the crank position output, I have now wired in a tach driver and scoped the signal to see a perfect square wave 14.2v output and still the unit will not register an rpm signal. I have the trigger set to 5v and have also resisted the signal to help it trigger, still nothing. I honestly think something has to be wrong with the pcs unit. I sent him my cal and he said it should work.

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
I have ran a single coil, I have ran a signal from the crank position output, I have now wired in a tach driver and scoped the signal to see a perfect square wave 14.2v output and still the unit will not register an rpm signal. I have the trigger set to 5v and have also resisted the signal to help it trigger, still nothing. I honestly think something has to be wrong with the pcs unit. I sent him my cal and he said it should work.
if you're going to a coil or an injector, be sure you're going to the - wire. you can also tap into any of the fuel injector control or coil control wires on the pcm harness, same thing different location. for the tach driver, cut the + wire to one of the coils and run it through the box, 12v feed goes to the red wire and the red w/green stripe goes to the coil, and the grey goes to your rpm input on the pcs harness.

if you have already done that and you're certain things are wired up properly on that end, are you 100% certain that you are going to the proper wire on the pcs harness for the rpm input?

are your other inputs showing up properly, like are you seeing proper TPS voltage, and when you touch the brake is the input switching on the screen (I think it's digital input 1)?

·
Tyler
624 Posts
if you're going to a coil or an injector, be sure you're going to the - wire. you can also tap into any of the fuel injector control or coil control wires on the pcm harness, same thing different location. for the tach driver, cut the + wire to one of the coils and run it through the box, 12v feed goes to the red wire and the red w/green stripe goes to the coil, and the grey goes to your rpm input on the pcs harness.

if you have already done that and you're certain things are wired up properly on that end, are you 100% certain that you are going to the proper wire on the pcs harness for the rpm input?

are your other inputs showing up properly, like are you seeing proper TPS voltage, and when you touch the brake is the input switching on the screen (I think it's digital input 1)?
Yes, everything else is showing correctly on the other inputs. The harness was tagged for all the inputs already so it's very simple as far as that's concerned. To be clear, the rpm wire to the pcs is getting a proper tach signal and the wire to the pcs is working and pinned correctly according to the pinout they supplied. The data on the light weight monitor is simply not showing anything at all.

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Yes, everything else is showing correctly on the other inputs. The harness was tagged for all the inputs already so it's very simple as far as that's concerned. To be clear, the rpm wire to the pcs is getting a proper tach signal and the wire to the pcs is working and pinned correctly according to the pinout they supplied. The data on the light weight monitor is simply not showing anything at all.

can you switch to the datastream and post a screenshot with the engine running?

·
Tyler
624 Posts
The one thing I was wondering about but didn't want to try without clarification is the speed 4 input shows 1. I wasn't sure what that was for but all of the other speed inputs are at 0. I can switch the rpm input to speed 4 but there again was unsure what that would do so I didn't want to try that without clarification first. I will run outside and fire it up to do that as soon as the young fellow gets to work. I've been here since 6:30 but these kids run in the door 30 seconds before their shift.

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
run your orange/black wire from the pcs harness to the brown/yellow on fuel injector #1 (not brown/white) and see if you get anything.

also that 1 that you're seeing is just your pulses/rev config. if it is set for 1 and you get a good signal from an injector or coil then you just need to set it to 0.5

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
also if you (or anyone else) want any direct assistance you can send me a message on whatsapp and I can probably explain things better via voice clip or whatever. 639-998-1028

·
Tyler
624 Posts
run your orange/black wire from the pcs harness to the brown/yellow on fuel injector #1 (not brown/white) and see if you get anything.

also that 1 that you're seeing is just your pulses/rev config. if it is set for 1 and you get a good signal from an injector or coil then you just need to set it to 0.5
I have tried that rpm wire to everything with no luck, coil, injector, crank trigger, and now through the tach driver. It is a different color coil wire on my harness for the 2003, but yes it was wired correctly.

·
Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,141 Posts
also if you (or anyone else) want any direct assistance you can send me a message on whatsapp and I can probably explain things better via voice clip or whatever. 639-998-1028
Will that phone number except an incoming phone call? I don't have WhatsApp.

·
Proud Canadian
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
I have tried that rpm wire to everything with no luck, coil, injector, crank trigger, and now through the tach driver. It is a different color coil wire on my harness for the 2003, but yes it was wired correctly.
give me your email address and I will send you my cal file, load it into your controller and that will either fix the issue or eliminate the software side from being the cause.

181 - 200 of 265 Posts