Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything is getting close folks. Finally got back the SAE test reports on the new clutches so now I can go ahead and place an order. :dance: I need to hear back from a couple of vendors before I get back to work on the transmissions, so in the mean time I've been working on the valve bodies. Just wish I had more than weekends to work on them.

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
What's the max estimated hp/tq rating will the Superstreet Performance SS/HP 545RFE transmission be with 4.10 gears, 32" tall tires and a heavy truck(full street trim)? And, can it be a daily driver transmission?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What's the max estimated hp/tq rating will the Superstreet Performance SS/HP 545RFE transmission be with 4.10 gears, 32" tall tires and a heavy truck(full street trim)? And, can it be a daily driver transmission?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
Adding additional clutches will increase the HP rating by increasing the clutch area surface, but only to a point to where you run into the issue of low steel mass. Lower steel mass = heat. OEM hp/tq ratings of the 68RFE are 385hp/800tq. The newer 5.7 hemi is rated for 390hp/410tq.

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
What's the max estimated hp/tq rating will the Superstreet Performance SS/HD, SS/HP 545RFE transmission going to be Jerry?:popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tq ratings for our transmissions are a relevant number, meaning the 45/545RFE and 65RFE have a relevant tq rating of 5. The 66RFE has a relevant tq number of 6 and the 68RFE has a relevant tq number of 8. The difference in tq rating are mainly from the hard parts ie input shaft, output shaft, planetary, etc. All the above transmissions share some common clutch packs and all the applications are for motors making around 400hp or less. Now to increase the hp rating, you increase the clutch count. By increasing the clutch count, all your doing is increasing the clutch material surface area for additional holding. There is no scientific equation on how many clutches are need to support a designed hp rating. But by increasing the friction clutch count with additional material you have to give up steel mass. This is done by using thinner steels and with thinner steels comes additional heat sink from lack of proper heat dissipation. Once the steel gets hot it will glaze the surface of the friction clutch. Once the friction clutch is glazed it can no longer absorb oil which is needed to aid in cooling the steel. A prime example is using the single sided 68RFE overdrive clutch pack in the 545. When I first came up with the idea back in 2007 I thought it was great cause it stood up to the test of the 68RFE. The only problem I found out is the dynamic's of that particular clutch pack can't take the heat when shifting at the higher rpm of the Hemi vs the Cummins and showed with many a transmission failure. Thus my year long search for a better overdrive clutch since I've pretty much figured out how to make L/R, 2C, 4C and underdrive bullet proof. Working with the top names in the industry the main things I demanded in a clutch was a high dynamic coefficient, meaning a clutch that can withstand a continuous slip at lower line pressure, high porosity coefficient for oil absorption and high thermal coefficient to handle heat. How much hp can they handle? Hopefully has much as I can throw at it. And being truthful, I'm not going to claim my transmissions are bullet proof nor can withstand a certain hp rating, but I figure if I can make 200 passes before replacing clutches, I've done good.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Thanks for stating that in a manner that is understandable.

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
Well he is being honest. The only way to
Know is test them. Same with the Sharadon I have made tons of runs likely around 100+ easy with little wear. Nathan's eng is going to be a monster and then the spray will likely find a Weak spot. So all in all there's no guarantee with any 545 to hold a ton of hp it's basically build it As strong as you know how to And prey your the lucky one.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well he is being honest. The only way to
Know is test them. Same with the Sharadon I have made tons of runs likely around 100+ easy with little wear. Nathan's eng is going to be a monster and then the spray will likely find a Weak spot. So all in all there's no guarantee with any 545 to hold a ton of hp it's basically build it As strong as you know how to And prey your the lucky one.
When I was teamed up with Sharadons I was the R&D guy. Though I do have to give Denny credit for the case modification to allow 4 clutches in 2C. However I can now do the same without modifying the case which brings down the cost. I'm also getting a price to have a heavy duty accumulator plate cover made and with my other other mods to the valve body I don't have to purchase a $85 Transgo HD2 kit which also brings down the cost of the transmission as well as the valve bodies just themselves. The SS/HD will be just that. "Heavy Duty" built with upgraded aftermarket parts with an upgraded valve body. Built for the modified street, weekend warrior, towing and offroader in mind especially for the guys that want more than a factory rebuild. Basically the same as a stage 2. The SS/HP "High Performance" says it all. Comes complete with all my mods, built over and above a stage 3 and must use type F transmission fluid. Prices should be around $1650 and $1950 respectively. A $300 refundable core charge is not included in those prices plus I'll deliver the transmission right to the freight depot which will save some on the freight cost. Also I'll be getting in touch with Moe's Performance to see and offer a drop shipped, optional deep cast transmission pan of your choice. Also closing a deal to offer an SFI approved 545RFE flex plate.

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
The SS/HP "High Performance" says it all. Comes complete with all my mods, built over and above a stage 3 and must use type F transmission fluid. Prices should be around $1650 and $1950 respectively. A $300 refundable core charge is not included in those prices plus I'll deliver the transmission right to the freight depot which will save some on the freight cost. Also I'll be getting in touch with Moe's Performance to see and offer a drop shipped, optional deep cast transmission pan of your choice. Also closing a deal to offer an SFI approved 545RFE flex plate.
Can you just send the modded parts and let the customer put the trans together to save more money Jerry???? Like a kit?

Getting another new used car for my daughter and she will be going off to college this year.........

1 - 20 of 96 Posts