Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ‘06/’07 Rams are a little different than previous years when it comes to installing the SRT-10 push-button start switch. You will need the following items to do this correctly:

1. SRT-10 push button, or equivalent.
2. One automotive relay. Find at Auto-Zone, Pep Boys, etc.
3. One 180 ohm resistor. Find at Radio Shack.
4. 20-22 gauge stranded connection wire. Radio Shack
5. Heat shrink tube (recommended by factory) or electrical tape.
6. T-15 torx bit for column case removal.

The first thing you need to do is get to the wires under the column. Take the two screws out of the bottom of the knee bolster. Pull the top of it away from the dash, it will then come off. Be careful if you have adjustable pedals, the connector behind the switch will need to be removed.
You will see a black metal plate where the knee bolster was. Four screws at the corners hold it on. The top right corner has a catch-lip on it, so you need to lift up then away from the dash.

Next, use the T-15 torx bit to remove 4 fasteners from the column. One fastener holds the column-tilt lever on. There is another fastener just aft of that holding the column cover. Then, two more on the bottom of the column. Be sure to take notice which hole the silver fastener comes out of. It has machine-threads whereas the others are course self-tapping. Set the top and bottom pieces aside.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You’ll notice on the left-side of the column a black connector with five wires. You need two of these wires for the install

1. The Green/Red starter solenoid wire.
2. The Violet/Brown ignition sensing wire. Second wire from end

The Green/Red start wire gets fed +12 volts when you want to start the vehicle.
The Violet/Brown sense wire gets fed ground through a 180 ohm resistance to allow the starter solenoid to engage. Cut these wires or remove the pins from the connector. Or, you can leave them and splice into them. If you just splice into them, your key will also start the truck. If you cut them, only the button will start the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Connect the relay as shown. You can use a relay socket that already has wires on it. I showed it this way to make it easier to see how to wire it.The top connector (87) gets connected to a 180 ohm resistor with a wire on the other side to connect to the Violet/Brown ignition sense wire at the column.
The bottom and left side get connected to a ground somewhere under the dash.
The right side gets connected to one of the wires on your SRT push button and also the Green/Red start wire from the truck.

You can feed +12v to the other SRT wire from the right-side Power Outlet. Don’t use the lighter as it loses power during crank.

Use heat-shrink on all splices and put everything back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Great how-to post... thanks John

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If enough people are interested, I could get the parts to make a plug-n-play setup so no cutting or splicing has to be done.

I'm not sure how many SRT-10 buttons I'd have to order to get a discount. Also, do people like the stock buttons, or the ones that look stock but are lighted?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, now i can finnaly hook my button up. Thank you so much for doing this im so excited im gona do that tomorrow hopefully thanks a million man.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
John you are the bomb looks like I have a new mod in the future. I can do the mod myself but what are we looking at if you build it just a ballpark range?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what it would cost. While searching for the SRT-10 start button yesterday, I found it for $25 from an online source. But I can't find that site today. Maybe my eyes were tired. I would probably charge the cost for parts and materials.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
John I'm in sound like something I can pass up

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
I think he meant to say "can't" pass up...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Very sorry yes CAN'T pass up

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I cant wait to get this done. Now who knows what pins to hook it to on the Push button start?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by RaiderJay6:
Now who knows what pins to hook it to on the Push button start?
That's what the whole post is about. There's only two wires to the button. One goes to the relay as shown above, and the other goes to a +12V source. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
My button has 5 pins on the back of it. I would guess you use the same pins I did on my 02 Ram.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is that a factory SRT-10 push-to-start button? If so, and it has 5 pins. then none of what I posted above is any good.

I assumed there were just two wires coming out of the switch. I'd like to get hold of one so I can study it and make a better 'how-to'.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Yes it is a factory SRT button. I know on my 02 Ram I hooked it up with the power from the lighter and hooked to the yellow wire under the dash.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts