Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
David
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has around 76k on it. When is a good mileage to change the shocks? And when i do so what is a good brand to go with? Thanks in advance!!!

·
David
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My truck has around 76k on it. When is a good mileage to change the shocks? And when i do so what is a good brand to go with? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
Automotive standard has always been 50k but alot of cars can go more I sug no more than 75k they mY not leak but the seals inside can go bad biggest thing they can destroy your tires chop heaven if they are really bad

As for what kind Monroe are good for street use if you go offroad alot get some KYB or an aftermarket shock designed for abuse

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Shocks on my 03 were dead at 50k. Had a driverside rear that had failed without leaks. Replaced them with Monroe's standard length in the front and 2" shorter in the rear. I used the online Monroe specification chart to select the shocks.

·
David
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I guess ive gotten lucky with mine. The ride doesn't seem rough and no leaks just figured it was probably about time

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
I am going to have to replace my rear shocks due to one leaking!

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
leaking is a sure sign. Mine didn't leak but It was unstable at highway speeds on back roads with the driver rear collapsed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine failed already at 22,000 miles front left is leaking....thats now one bad hub bearing two bad tie rod ends and a leaking steering cooler all by 22,000 miles.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ordered new shocks and was going to install this weekend. Does anyone know if i need a spring compressor to do the job? 07 ram 1500 qc 4x4 coil over shocks.....Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
how can u tell if the shocks are leaking or if the shocks are worn out.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Originally posted by yellowbee #1511:
how can u tell if the shocks are leaking or if the shocks are worn out.
If the shock is wet with oil it is leaking. It use to be if you manually bounced the vehicle and if it rebound three times or more the shocks were suspect. With a truck and stiffer suspension it is a little harder to detect. But going down a back road and having the truck squat in one corner is a good indicator that a shock is shot.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I'll just answer my own question yes you do need a spring compressor and most likely a torch if you live anywhere it snows and they salt the roads what a pain in the ass job wouldn't recommend doing it in your driveway kinda job....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts