Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06’ procharged 5.7 ram. Was always on time with oil changes. About a week ago the gauge lamp came on and notice eve oil pressure go on the low side. Find out I’m missing 5 quarts. After filling it and running it, starting to hear knock. Was debating on taking pan off lightly polishing crank journals and replacing rod bearings and hope for the best but I’m really limited with time so I’m not sure if anyone has tried it successfully? If not I might have to just bite the bullet and have it rebuilt. Can anyone recommend a rebuilt kit for boosted applications? Def don’t want a stroker. I’m currently at 7psi. Looking for something reasonable to handle 12-14psi. I’ll def have methanol injection soon. Would the stock crank be sufficient? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2004 GTX
109 Posts
Stock crank will do as long as you use ARP Main studs, my oldest kid and his son ran a few G3 5.7s well in to the low 750hp level on stock crank with stock main bolts, I wouldn't go any higher with the OEM bolts, we've good luck with the stock cast crank, in to the mid 800's low 900s with ARP main studs .. just don't get RPM happy with it, it has the same issues as the 6.1 Crank when you start to hang out in the 7500 RPM range.

Rods on the other hand, as the stock rods get older they become brittle not much of an issue unless the short block has seen too many over heated cycles.......its the nature of the powdered metal beast.
DSS,Wiseco, Mahle pistons they are all up to the ask on a reasonable budget for up to 14psi, Manley ,Dimond, RaceTec, Ross, Gibtech, J&E are the next level budget. and will go well in to the 18+psi

Rods, Personally I don't trust Scat or Eagle over 10-12 LBS, But We don't see many failures in LSX or SBF at those levels of boost, lot of it has to do with rod angles, 4.05, 4.08 G3 Hemi cranks puts a lot of stress on the Rod bolts.
Manley rods are hard to beat for the price point and the level of Abuse they'll take.....Manley 300M rods are over kill for anything under 20LBS boost.
Molnar Rods are your best bet for durability, price and later on when 14lbs gets boring and 18lbs turns into "yeah I'll try that this week "goal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts