Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what to call the work I'm doing.

2008 Chrysler Aspen 5.7

Had a hole in the rad, was having overheating problems. Started blowing alot of smoke. Then it sat over winter. Just started tearing down to replace gaskets I thought.

Intake cover is stuck on really good, got it to wiggle a bit but haven't been able to get it off yet. So I pulled all spark plugs, some of them had oil on them. Got one valve cover off, and it's loaded with gunk.

I've been following some videos from YouTube to do gasket replacements on everything. But now I'm wondering what to do, I'm thinking to pull both heads and assess from there. I'm doing this outside, no garage, if it rains should I be covering the engine with a tarp? I'm guessing it's bad to let water get into the engine. Bit if I end up doing a full rebuild will it matter if it rains?

Also, if I pull both heads and they end up being okay, how do I go about getting everything cleaned out? If there's that much gunk already would I have to go deeper anyways?

This is my first real engine rebuild. This trucks been sitting and it was given to me so I'm trying to fix it for myself.

·
Administrator
17,847 Posts
Ok I will tell you now rebuild that. The second you touch that crud it will all break loose and plug the pickup tube for oil pump. The heads bare minimum need to be rebuilt and cleaned very good. As for leaving engine exposed I would put plastics garbage bag over each deck and leave headgaskets in place till your ready to clean and assemble keeps rust away. The bottom of the engine should be ok most times build ups not bad down there.

the headbolt holes will need to get blown out (will be very oily) then spray brake cleaner into them and blow out again till clean. Cleaning the cylinder deck off you can use the green rubber bristle wheel discs only they remove gasket material and don’t hurt the deck. I also use a flat razor on my decks to get the big stuff off first but you have to make sure you stay perfectly flat as not to scratch deck anywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also having a hard time getting the intake valve off. I removed 4 bolts on each side and disconnected electrical but it won't come off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So next step would be remove head bolts, remove exhaust bolts under, disassemble heads, and then remove heads? Do I need to remove the intake manifolds to get the heads out?

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
Welcome to our HTC Family!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts