Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know, I recently aquired a 1972 Dodge Challenger with a 383 in it.

After it arrived in my garage, I noticed a significant oil leak.

After talking to the previous owner, he stated the car has leakd since he bought it nearly 3 years ago.

He said he's been looking for a way to fix the one piece rear main and everyone he's talked to says that's typical of those big old Mopars.

Does anyone make a good 2 piece seal for these old beasts? I figure some of you "old skool" Muscle Car guys would have the answer for me.

Attachments

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
Hate to tell u this, but it is already a two piece, four piece if ya count the side seals. It will be mess-ie, but try to clean the underneath, and be sure where the oil is coming from. If it's the original motor, it came with a Windage tray. It's oil pan, gasket, Windage tray, second oil pan gasket, block. Because of the two gaskets, leaks where common there. Also ck the oil pressure sending unit/line.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay.
It just goes to show the last owner wasn't a Mopar guy.
At least I had something to start with.
I'm on Mopar Muscle's forum about it too. I'm wondering how I can track down the 318 it came with and the fender tag.
They could be helpful in the future.

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah! 3 speed.

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been fixed in my sig line. I kept wondering why it wouldn't shift to 4th.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so, my alternator decided to
the bed. I replaced the alternator and fabed a new bracket
. Tried to start the motor and nothing
. It seems like it's not getting any fuel
. (mind you it's between 20 and 45 degrees in my garage due to hunting season). I put some sta-bil and some heet in the tank. thinking that would help, but no
. I know the el-cheapo carquest battery doesn't help
. I have an optima red-top and a save-a-battery system on my christmas list
. The only other thing I can think of is power to the fuel pump
. ... What do you guys think?

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Jay, I was practically asleep when I wrote that. I meant the fuel pump

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
is it an electric fuel pump (somewhere around tank = aftermarket), or is it mechanical (side of block)?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure it's mechanical now that I think about it. I don't hear an electrical "whirr" sound with the key in the "on" position and the engine off.

I think I may have found the problem. One of the wires on this 35 year old plug came completely off the plug. I have removed the entire assembly from the car for this pic to make things easier to see. Does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally found my tech manual. The block is the "electronic voltage regulator" for the alternator. Is there anyone who makes the harness side plug for this without having to buy the whole harness?

... Edit ...

Do you think it would be safe to make a plaster mold of the existing plug and make a new part using latex rubber? ... Jewlers use this technique alot to make components and whole pieces. Some companies like Jostens use a similar technique to mass produce class rings.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Try this

And just FYI, the block is a "B" block not an "RB" , it does make a difference when ordering parts.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dad and I came up with this idea to use small snap connectors from Radio Shack, wire, heat shrink tubing and black RTV silicone adhesive. Here's a pic of the new assembly.

Attachments

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
And just FYI, the block is a "B" block not an "RB" , it does make a difference when ordering parts.
There is a 383 RB.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So ... how do I figure out which one I have?

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
99.9%, u have a "B" block.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where do I find the casting numbers to figure it out?
I'd like to know where my factory baseline is.
Then there's this cheby guy from PA on car domain, being a dick asking what's been done to the car. I figure he's just jealous, he decided to be a cheby guy and bought a "stang", doesn't own a truck and has a toy corolla for a daily driver and is pissed that Mopar's always kick his 290hp Vette, 330hp stang and 410hp camaro (I call b.s. on that, who leaves stock tires on a 400hp car, really?) asses every weekend.

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
Where do I find the casting numbers
They are stamped on a boss, near where the distributor goes into the block.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts