Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to cams, intake manifolds, headers, superchargers, etc., etc. then I live, eat, breathe all of that. Oldschool has taught me well. When it comes to Chips & Programmers I am thoroughly lost from the start. I am not really talking brand name. I am talking about function. For example when I go and look up whatever is available for my Ram I get into programmers, but no chips. <span class="ev_code_RED">So, my first set of questions; What is a chip? Is it something that comes with the programmer? If not, would it be necessary to help with the performance or mileage? Is it really required at all for just a daily driver? Where the dickens is it on my 08?</span> I think, after reading a few replies on here, I am some what clued in on the programmer. My best advantage to buying a programmer will come when I need to tow some weight around and - I believe - find it necessary to turn off the MDE. <span class="ev_code_RED">My only question for the programmer is this; Once I have the programming done, can I remove the programmer and keep the settings?</span> I am "seriously clueless" and would appreciate any answers or links to educate myself on this topic...Thanks in advance.

·
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When it comes to cams, intake manifolds, headers, superchargers, etc., etc. then I live, eat, breathe all of that. Oldschool has taught me well. When it comes to Chips & Programmers I am thoroughly lost from the start. I am not really talking brand name. I am talking about function. For example when I go and look up whatever is available for my Ram I get into programmers, but no chips. <span class="ev_code_RED">So, my first set of questions; What is a chip? Is it something that comes with the programmer? If not, would it be necessary to help with the performance or mileage? Is it really required at all for just a daily driver? Where the dickens is it on my 08?</span> I think, after reading a few replies on here, I am some what clued in on the programmer. My best advantage to buying a programmer will come when I need to tow some weight around and - I believe - find it necessary to turn off the MDE. <span class="ev_code_RED">My only question for the programmer is this; Once I have the programming done, can I remove the programmer and keep the settings?</span> I am "seriously clueless" and would appreciate any answers or links to educate myself on this topic...Thanks in advance.

·
Board of Directors
25,097 Posts
From what I remember, years ago some cars had an actual EEPROM memory chip (integrated circuit) that carried the tuning program. You could remove the EEPROM to reprogram it or replace it with one already tuned. These days what we do is reprogram the tune without removing any chips. All that is done through the OBDII port under the dash board using a tuning tool like Superchips or Diablo.

When you use a tuning tool the first thing it does is save the stock tune in itself. Then you use the tool to reprogram the tune. After you remove the tool from the OBDII port the new tune is good to go from then on until you change the tune again.

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
I can give you some answers.

1. There is no chip, only a "programer".

2. They are not REQUIRED for a daily driver.

3. I know a SuperChip brand programer added about 1.5 mpg on mine. Plus the "seat of the pants" boost was awesome.

4. The "port" for the programer is located just below the steering column.

5. The programer downloads to your truck and is then removed and stored. The new sttings will remain in your computer until you remove them.

Should you decide to return to stock or modify further, you hook the unit back up and make any changes you want. returning it to stock is often a good idea when taking it back to the dealer for service.

I am sure someone will come along with more info to help you.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
with what Nathan said.

I use a DiabloSport programmer in mine. I had a Superchips but I quickly added more mods than it could handle so I had to upgrade. And yes they help with MPG gains.

Whichever one you decide on, do not purchase a Jet programmer or those fake ebay $30 "chip". Those ebay ones are only a $.10 resister you can get at radio shack. Remember if it's too good to be true... it probably isn't.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Originally posted by RockyMtnXpress:
These guys covered it all pretty well, let me know if you have any other specific questions

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Jim, If you're looking to do major engine mods (Cam, headers, supercharger) then you'll need to do what VA4MEDS recommends. Diablo and SCT offer custom tunes that will better fit your needs with your new hardware. Some have stacked SCT with Superchips to get the engine tuning of SCT and Transmission tuning of Superchips. I am by no means an expert on any of this but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a couple of years ago.

Disclaimer: Superchips does NOT recommend stacking their product with another.

·
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!
I learned a wealth of information just now. Greatly appreciated!

In simplistic review; No chip - Plug in programmer, do your thing, unplug and go.

Benefits; Better gas mileage - More torque - More HP - Program MDE on or off? Did I miss anything?

Not sure why the factory doesn't "peak" all of the above?
Not sure what "stacking" is?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Most tuners give you the ability to datalog different PIDs (engine, tranny,... parameters) Engine speed, RPMs, throttle position, current shift/gear, and a whole host of additional PIDs.

You can read and clear DTCs - Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

Can change tire size, rear gear size and more.

·
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by MDSBigPaPa:
Most tuners give you the ability to datalog different PIDs (engine, tranny,... parameters) Engine speed, RPMs, throttle position, current shift/gear, and a whole host of additional PIDs.

You can read and clear DTCs - Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

Can change tire size, rear gear size and more.
Thanks Mark! My birthday is not too far off, so my search is on (my understanding there are some small differences in mfr.)

Originally posted by motorscooter:
Not sure what "stacking" is?
Jim Stacking is when they stack 1 programer with another.Example Like S/C because it has the trans control. with Diablo because of engine control. but you have to be careful somethimes it screws everything up.
Thanks Bob! No stacking for me if there's a chance it can "screw everything up". Because just as sure as the sun rises in the east, I'll screw it up.

·
Greg
19,956 Posts
The most common stacking I believe is the SC/DSP, there is also the SC/SCT and I use the SC/PSC1.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Originally posted by Redtruck-VA:
The most common stacking I believe is the SC/DSP, there is also the SC/SCT and I use the SC/PSC1.
Most common actually is SCT on superchips since superchips has a more advanced trans tuning feature than diablo, stack that with SCT and you have the best trans tuning along with your custom engine tune.

·
Greg
19,956 Posts
My replies are generally based on 03's so when talking about the newer models I am often wrong. SCT doesn't support the 03 hemi so what I have seen most is SC used to adjust the rev/speed limiter and the DSP (CMR) to tune the engine. The only ones that I know of that will attempt to tune the 03 trans is B&G. I just maually shift mine using a floor shifter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts