Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...hey guys---I was driving home the other day and noticed a loss of power. Parked the truck. Started it a couple of days later--check engine light comes on....superchips says it was code po0305...cylinder 5 misfire...drove it to work(no freeway),checked again--still po305. Cleared the code,drove it home later,popped the same code again...loss of power and mildly rough idle....googled the engine code and got some ideas...pulled the sparkplugs from #5 cylinder tonight---the sparkplug tips(engine side) are bent down-touching the electrode...no oil on the plugs....random thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...hey guys---I was driving home the other day and noticed a loss of power. Parked the truck. Started it a couple of days later--check engine light comes on....superchips says it was code po0305...cylinder 5 misfire...drove it to work(no freeway),checked again--still po305. Cleared the code,drove it home later,popped the same code again...loss of power and mildly rough idle....googled the engine code and got some ideas...pulled the sparkplugs from #5 cylinder tonight---the sparkplug tips(engine side) are bent down-touching the electrode...no oil on the plugs....random thoughts/ideas?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...just in case it comes up...I don't drive much--these plugs(don't laugh) have probably 16k-18k on them in two years....ngk4306's..originally gapped around .043-.045....also,I have had my superchips tuned to 87 octane to save money on gas.....

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
Most likely a broken valve spring, or a piece of piston broke off.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
replace spark plug and see if it idles normal..any hint otherwise and i would check valvesprings...I've had this happen to me before and all i did was replace plug for that particular cylinder..

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I was thinking bad coil pack and he could swap with another cylinder and see if the code changes to the new cylinder.

I would change plugs first though as well.

Troubleshoot easy to hard Ken.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
pinched plug a coil issue???

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey,took some pictures of the sparkplugs--only one came out viewable....I am hoping it is just detonation from bad gas as I have been running 87 octane on an 87 Superchips tune...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....I will probably check the compression to be safe,also,I haven't checked the other sparkplugs yet.....Fred,I really want it just to be the sparkplugs....I will pick up another set this week after checking compression in that cylinder....

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...I was thinking if I could find/rent a video scope to check out the cylinder...? Also,it is hard to tell in the pic,but,the burn looks ok--it doesn't look like it was a lean condition...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had this happen on the 4.7 changes the Coil pack turned out to just be the sparkplug as soon as i changed that code never came back and engine never ran odd again

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was also only about 17k on plugs when this happened

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Originally posted by chefred112:
pinched plug a coil issue???
No, did I say that?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just for the hell of it,I checked the rest of the spark plugs on the drivers side...all of them look normal(nothing bent,gap looks good) with a clean beige/tan coloration on the electrode....I decided that I may as well replace all of my plugs while I'm at it,and,seeing as I'm half way there,I may pull the valve cover and check the springs....

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Ken it could be an issue with bad gas as well. I've never encountered this problem with any vehicle I've owned.

At first I was starting to think maybe a wire issue too till I saw the photo.

A gas truck driver friend once told me, NEVER fill up at a station where they're getting a load of gas in, and if your usual station is getting a load of gas as you drive by, wait 1 to 2 hours before going in to gas up. When refueled, all the shit in the bottom of the tanks gets disturbed and some ends up in your tank, best to let it settle first.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I would go with Fred on this one. replace the plug and see if everything is normal. Not sure why it happens but I have seen others post about it before on DT.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate all of the input guys....thanx

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Originally posted by Superjay:
Most likely a broken valve spring,or a piece of piston broke off.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow...if time permits,I will try and pull the valve cover after work to see about a bad (hopefully not)valve spring....if no valve spring issue is evident,I will see if I could get a scope to look into the cylinder in lieu of pulling the head.....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts