Hemi Truck Club banner

Is It Becoming More Difficult To Hold On To The HEMI for you?

• Close to letting go...Oh, so close.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
askibum02 and his trade to stop shelling out hard earned money to pay the gas pump bill got me to thinking. I wonder who else out there knows they’re are taking a hit because they drive a HEMI as their daily driver and yet are in it for the long haul or on the verge of a trade? Face it, all the big toys (Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Toyota & Nissan) are great when it comes to cab space we enjoy and the “Zip” it take to move ‘em. When it comes to mileage, they are like throwing a brick into a stiff wind. We claim victory when we jump through the mod hoops and find a mile or two increase over what we had before. This is great, but it is still a hard fought war behind the greed at the pumps! Less than a year ago we heard talks about gas prices hitting $4.00 per gallon. Since we are close to that magical number, talks now are looking into the foreseeable future of $6.00 per gallon. Of course excuses will pop up about war in the Middle East, the closing of the oil pumps in the west and finger pointing over the Keystone Pipeline to name a few. Myself, I believe we are being herded like cattle into boxcars (Public transportation), leaving only the rich to afford this privilege of transportation in the end. Eh, it’s just a guess on my part and the local rumor mill. So! Who else is on the verge of “Letting Go” and saying “Bye” to their truck? I know it’s a “Tough Decision!”

BTW – I am contemplating it, a year or two after I have all my big stuff moved. I know I’ll regret it and wish I didn’t. We’ll just have to wait and see which direction gas prices move.

·
Retired BOD - Doug
39,640 Posts
Well I will keep my truck as long as I can get gas. That doesn't mean that at some time I wont stoop to driving something else for economy's sake. Out here in the real world a truck is a necessity. To much equipment to be maintained and transported. I own 3 trailers that would work, and do for many things, but like I said "a truck is a necessity". As long as I can I will keep a truck and it will be a HEMI.

BTW...I know several people that sold their trucks because of gas prices and took a bath. You can buy a lot of gas for what you loose in a trade or sale. Several had to buy another truck within a year or two. For some a daily driver, of the ricer variety makes sense but you not hauling much in one. In many cases it's smarter to have another vehicle for daily use and hang on to a truck for when it's needed, or for fun if you can make it work.

·
Administrator
17,778 Posts
Before I got the 2003 we had a 2006 and sold it for gas issues then the wife wanted a truck again so we got a 2003

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
My truck is paid for and mainly driven for shopping trips and medical appointments as well as the occaisional sightseeing trip, so it will be around for a long time.
The wife has her 4 cyl. Eclipse for her to get to work and do her running around and I have a company truck and company credit card to keep it full ( 50 gal tanks and 10mpg)for making a living.

·
Greg
19,956 Posts
Truck has been paid for for a long time, being retired and not needing to drive alot it would make no sense to dump it trying to save on gas. Plus I still have several motorcycles that need riding and are excellent for running errands.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I voted the "weekend warrior" option. I drive my Mazda four days a week and take the Ram for our Friday "Geek lunch" crowd. I'll keep the Ram until it becomes a money pit and then I'll trade it on another Ram. Too much need for a truck to be without one.

It's a rare circumstance where buying a second vehicle will really save money.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Not even close.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm not even a weekend warrior, a once every 3 months warrior at best, only thing I'm contemplating getting rid of the truck for is another hemi

·
Administrator
5,878 Posts
I have to agree with MikeHTally.

I have put maybe 100 miles on my truck in the past 6 months. I bought a Honda Civic and I am actually saving money every month and still have the truck to play with.

The only way I am getting rid of my HEMI is if I find a gomango 2wd Quad cab with low miles and it would still be hard to let go.

HEMI 4 LIFE

·
Board of Directors
25,097 Posts
Mine is paid for and I'll keep it as long as I can. It is my only vehicle right now. But I'm also retired and I don't have to commute to a job. I agree that a lot of gas can be bought for what it would cost to trade. But if gas gets too high I may have to do that. I'm standing pat right now.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I'm not going to lie to you guys, I took a bath when I traded in an 8 month old truck. A great price when I bought the truck coupled with a significant savings in fuel with the new car, I will come out ahead. It's gonna take me three years, but I will come out ahead.
I do regret selling, but the bottom line is that I hadn't used the truck as a truck but one or two times since buying it. If I was in Doug's position of course it would have been a different story. Man, I feel like a quitter now.

·
Retired BOD - Doug
39,640 Posts
Man, I feel like a quitter now.
No way Brett!
We all have to do what's right for our families, and we all have different needs. Even if I didn't need a truck I would try my best to justify one. I prefer the ride, and to me a truck is safer than a little car. I get spooked having to drive behind some slow drag that I can't see around and at least in a truck, with power, I feel better.

·
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brett - I didn't intend to make you feel bad, a quitter or anything else. My thread was more curiosity than anything. I mean look at this last year alone and the number of members that are in the same boat as you by having to trade their trucks. Miles driven and money spent to the thieving oil companies (retailer, government...Who knows?) just to get from point "A" to point "B" everyday. Nobody here, driving the less than thrifty HEMI, is going to blame anyone else for saving money and providing more for their family in the long haul. Not me...Nobody!!!

Meanwhile, the curiosity of this thread and poll has shown, without a doubt, there are some absolute DIEHARDS for their trucks and the HEMI that pulls 'em. That is choice!...That is what it is all about and of course, there remains former HEMI owners, that have pledged a comeback when they get squared away. "Good!" Once HEMIed, always HEMIed! There ain't nothing wrong with that...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Well my needs for a truck to haul my wheel chair (and soon I hope a scooter) are paramount. So a smaller, economical car really isn't practical for me being disabled. I'm learning to curb my driving frequency. Which I don't like doing cause I like driving my truck. But as gas gets more expensive (and it will moreso with obama remaining in office) I may need to look into a smaller truck or handicapped equipped van YUCK!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Originally posted by RockyMtnXpress:
Brett - I didn't intend to make you feel bad, a quitter or anything else. My thread was more curiosity than anything. I mean look at this last year alone and the number of members that are in the same boat as you by having to trade their trucks. Miles driven and money spent to the thieving oil companies (retailer, government...Who knows?) just to get from point "A" to point "B" everyday. Nobody here, driving the less than thrifty HEMI, is going to blame anyone else for saving money and providing more for their family in the long haul. Not me...Nobody!!!

Meanwhile, the curiosity of this thread and poll has shown, without a doubt, there are some absolute DIEHARDS for their trucks and the HEMI that pulls 'em. That is choice!...That is what it is all about and of course, there remains former HEMI owners, that have pledged a comeback when they get squared away. "Good!" Once HEMIed, always HEMIed! There ain't nothing wrong with that...
I know you weren't, I was just pickin fun. Sometimes humor doesn't translate we'll into typed word on teh interwebz.

·
David
2,229 Posts
If you think your Hemi is bad my work truck (6 liter Chevy van) gets an amazing 9.5mpgs. I'm glad I don't pay that gas bill.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I commute 42 miles one way to work, so I have to have a commuter car. My '04 has 73K on the clock and I'm hanging on to her till the wheels fall off!

Oh, by the way, Hi Rancher!

·
Stu
21,122 Posts
Weekend warrior.

April lets me drive her spare car, the Saturn.
Wouldn't be able to do most of the mods to my truck without a spare car.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Gas is a bit much for the HEMI, and the wife let's me know it quite often. My 2006 only has 40,000 miles on it, but that's due to several deployments.

Now that I'm getting ready to retire I'm sure I will get it out more often. I'm trying to convince the wife to get me a new one as a retirement gift, and yes I will be keeping the 06.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts