Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ariel
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive had this issue for a while now. After some testing I thought it was the battery so i replaced it. Battery was five years old. I had no issues after it sat for a few days so i thought i was good. So sure enough I need to go run some errands and battery is dead. I charge it up and start searching. I pulled the negative terminal off and checked amp draw. I found there was about 2 amps with all lights off that would stay on for a while then amps dropped. So i searched and found the fuse for a factory amplifier was pulling about 2 amps so I pulled the fuse and amps dropped. Since i dont have a factory sound system i figured that was it and left the fuse off. I took the battery to autozone and they said the battery was shot and needs replacement. So i got another optima yellow top under warranty installed it and a few days later trucks dead again. I dont know what else to look for. Any ideas?

·
John
4,024 Posts
When you had the neg. battery cable removed, did you look for voltage? If you connect the positive lead of a volt meter to the neg. battery post, and the ground lead to the removed battery cable, set the meter to read voltage. You should have less than 12+ volts indicated, if voltage is 12+ volts, remove one fuse at a time, when you see the voltage has dropped below 12+ volts, you have found the circuit with a short. Follow all wiring until you find the problem. Remember to disconnect anything you know draws power with the ignition turned off.

·
Ariel
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you had the neg. battery cable removed, did you look for voltage? If you connect the positive lead of a volt meter to the neg. battery post, and the ground lead to the removed battery cable, set the meter to read voltage. You should have less than 12+ volts indicated, if voltage is 12+ volts, remove one fuse at a time, when you see the voltage has dropped below 12+ volts, you have found the circuit with a short. Follow all wiring until you find the problem. Remember to disconnect anything you know draws power with the ignition turned off.
i tried it looking for amperage drop. I’ll try this method once the battery is charged back up. Thanks

Reactions: SUPER BEE

·
Administrator
17,830 Posts
Amp draws are not fun to find. I use an amp clamp on the ground side makes it easier to find

1 - 4 of 4 Posts