Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Ariel
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive had this issue for a while now. After some testing I thought it was the battery so i replaced it. Battery was five years old. I had no issues after it sat for a few days so i thought i was good. So sure enough I need to go run some errands and battery is dead. I charge it up and start searching. I pulled the negative terminal off and checked amp draw. I found there was about 2 amps with all lights off that would stay on for a while then amps dropped. So i searched and found the fuse for a factory amplifier was pulling about 2 amps so I pulled the fuse and amps dropped. Since i dont have a factory sound system i figured that was it and left the fuse off. I took the battery to autozone and they said the battery was shot and needs replacement. So i got another optima yellow top under warranty installed it and a few days later trucks dead again. I dont know what else to look for. Any ideas?

· John
4,304 Posts
When you had the neg. battery cable removed, did you look for voltage? If you connect the positive lead of a volt meter to the neg. battery post, and the ground lead to the removed battery cable, set the meter to read voltage. You should have less than 12+ volts indicated, if voltage is 12+ volts, remove one fuse at a time, when you see the voltage has dropped below 12+ volts, you have found the circuit with a short. Follow all wiring until you find the problem. Remember to disconnect anything you know draws power with the ignition turned off.

· Ariel
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you had the neg. battery cable removed, did you look for voltage? If you connect the positive lead of a volt meter to the neg. battery post, and the ground lead to the removed battery cable, set the meter to read voltage. You should have less than 12+ volts indicated, if voltage is 12+ volts, remove one fuse at a time, when you see the voltage has dropped below 12+ volts, you have found the circuit with a short. Follow all wiring until you find the problem. Remember to disconnect anything you know draws power with the ignition turned off.
i tried it looking for amperage drop. I’ll try this method once the battery is charged back up. Thanks

Reactions: SUPER BEE

· Ariel
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my truck sat for a week and battery was dead. I tried jumping the truck and nothing. I tried charging over night but still dead. I took the battery in to autozone and was told the battery was bad. I had it replaced under warranty again but cant imagine ive had two bad optima batteries. Can my truck be causing the batteries to go bad somehow? Or is optima dropping the ball with their batteries?

· Registered
16 Posts
I have heard from the Oreilly's manager that we go through when ordering parts for work that optima is actually dropping the ball lately, the manufacturing got moved out of the country and since then they have warrantied a lot more batteries.

I can’t say that’s your problem for sure but I wouldn’t be surprised if you did get 2 bad batteries in a row.

Remember, the trucks computers don’t fully shut down until 10-20 minutes after you get out and shut the door. So you will read a draw until that time is up. And it seems like every fuse you remove wakes the truck up again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts