Hemi Truck Club banner
141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GTX
57 Posts
Ya, I think I'm just going to have to measure them , crap, more delays, my builder is going to hate me.

Another question I'm contemplating, passenger intake manifold ..... for the midrange torque
Besides the front cover change , I have one BTW, what accessories have to be moved ?
And how difficult is it ?
thanks in advance guys
It's not hard , just remember that every thing will be in a new position, PS/AC/Alt are all in different locations from where they are on the truck cover, and it's different Balancer/Damper , the truck damper is deeper places the belt in a slightly different position.

I saw some one here has a write up on it....Yeah it's a hemi ? I think .

·
Registered
2004 GTX
57 Posts
I also posed this question by itself,

Hi Guys ,
So I am back, trying to finish the motor I started 2 years ago, the ATK 392 stroker, I was getting ready to drop it off at the builders place , going though all my parts ,BUT, when it came to head bolts, all I have are the Enginetech Head bolts I was going to use on a repair job from before (stock motor). I don't really want to use them, so I was wondering about how you guys feel about other brands , obviously ARP is my first choice. However the supply chain crap we are going though seems to have derailed the ability to easily get them (both bolts and studs) What are your thoughts on.........
Mopar ....... OEM 6506334AA
Felpro Head Bolts ....ES 72200
Clevite/Mahle Head Bolts ....GS 33429

Enginetech ........HB228
ARP Head Bolts ..........147-3901
ARP Head Studs .........244-4300

Thank You again for all the help here
I'd go OEM/Clevite/Mahle for a build like what you are doing, ARP head bolts are the Over kill option for anything under 11 to 1 comp , .... Studs would be a PIA if you ever pull it apart in the truck and they are also over kill .....Speed master has a stud kit also, it's out of stock right now....like a lot of stuff

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 · (Edited)
It's not hard , just remember that every thing will be in a new position, PS/AC/Alt are all in different locations from where they are on the truck cover, and it's different Balancer/Damper , the truck damper is deeper places the belt in a slightly different position.
I saw some one here has a write up on it....Yeah it's a hemi ? I think .
Finally found it , and read it, Chris has a thread up about it here,
Changing A Truck Timing Cover To A Car Timing Cover
Thank You Chris !

Just want this thing running , no reason to put more roadblocks in my way, for now

Just going to spend some time on the truck intake , clean it up a bit, then paint it.
Good enuf for the girls I hang with :oops:
Chris's looks good

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Yellow
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I started a new thread on this subject , but am copying it here.
Lifter yokes or trays or retainers , wear item ?

Hi , So I'm gathering parts for the stroker motor , and I have new lifters, I'm using Hylift Johnson Lifters.
However, they did NOT come with Yokes , or retainers , or Trays, whatever you want to call them.
The cam is not a monster, close to a Comp 260,
Question: Buy New Yokes ? , Used Yokes? New OEM ? 6.1 ?
Do you always replace them when you get new lifters ?
I noticed there is a difference between MDS and Non-MDS,
Just curious what you guys recommend , anyone ?
Also I ran into these , from AR performance , look like billet

GEN 3 HEMI LIFTER TRAYS
Gen 3 Hemi Lifter Trays

No reviews
$219.00
Starting at $75/mo with Affirm. Prequalify now
Lifter Style Factory Mopar / Johnson Short & Standard Travel "Johnson Hy-Lift"
Factory Mopar / Johnson Short & Standard Travel - $219.00 USD "Johnson Hy-Lift" - $219.00 USD

Machined billet aluminum lifter trays for your Gen 3 hemi, help to protect against lifter rotation at high rpm that can be caused by factory plastic lifter trays.
The "Factory Mopar / Johnson Short & Standard Travel" version is for factory lifters and Johnson Lifters that measure .728-.729" between the flats.

BUT , at $219.00 ????????????
Anyway looking for recommendations

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Edit , AAD performance,

·
Registered
2004 GTX
57 Posts
I started a new thread on this subject , but am copying it here.
Lifter yokes or trays or retainers , wear item ?

Hi , So I'm gathering parts for the stroker motor , and I have new lifters, I'm using Hylift Johnson Lifters.
However, they did NOT come with Yokes , or retainers , or Trays, whatever you want to call them.
The cam is not a monster, close to a Comp 260,
Question: Buy New Yokes ? , Used Yokes? New OEM ? 6.1 ?
Do you always replace them when you get new lifters ?
I noticed there is a difference between MDS and Non-MDS,
Just curious what you guys recommend , anyone ?
Also I ran into these , from AR performance , look like billet

GEN 3 HEMI LIFTER TRAYS
Gen 3 Hemi Lifter Trays

No reviews
$219.00
Starting at $75/mo with Affirm. Prequalify now
Lifter Style Factory Mopar / Johnson Short & Standard Travel "Johnson Hy-Lift"
Factory Mopar / Johnson Short & Standard Travel - $219.00 USD "Johnson Hy-Lift" - $219.00 USD

Machined billet aluminum lifter trays for your Gen 3 hemi, help to protect against lifter rotation at high rpm that can be caused by factory plastic lifter trays.
The "Factory Mopar / Johnson Short & Standard Travel" version is for factory lifters and Johnson Lifters that measure .728-.729" between the flats.

BUT , at $219.00 ????????????
Anyway looking for recommendations
I have those in my current 468 along with their fuels rails and catch can, great quality parts, a little over kill for the daily driver guy(gal)

·
Registered
2004 GTX
57 Posts
Found this MMX vid to be interesting when it comes to lifters. Lifter oil pressure bleed off to lu
Found this MMX vid to be interesting when it comes to lifters. Lifter oil pressure bleed off to lubricate the roller bearings better?

Lots wrong with that video, when we were working on the short travel G3 lifters , that video made that rounds at Comp, it provided serval hours of enjoyment.

In the OEM G3 lifters are fed from both the valve gear(hole in push rods oil flows down to the lifter) and the Y split from the passage that feeds the head/rocker shafts, the MDS when in operation stops the oil feed from the block and only allows the cylinder head to feed oil to the lifters. the big issue with those "cheap" ebay lifters with the hole in the "oil channel" is they let the lifter bleed down like the MDS ones are supposed to , granted not at the rate the MDS lifter does, but they still blead down over a period of 4-5 mins in MDS mode.......it's why the OEM MDS companion lifter doesn't have any holes in the lifter body.

In the OEM Drag Pak program the oil to the heads is blocked off by stuffing a metal rod down the hole he points out in the video that feed the head, The valve gear(rocker arms/shafts) is feed only through the push rods in the DP program.

Also in some of the higher RPM applications the cast in head rockershaft stands are milled down so we can use rockshaft cradle(see photo) to keep the shafts from flexing @ the higher RPMS , notice the 2nd photo, there is a small hole next to the bolt hole, that blocks off the oil passage in the head.

my 468 has had those passages from the block to the head blocked off since the engine was built back in 2010, and rebuilt in 2016,

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
How about an EASY question for you guys, replacing the bolts on the truck intake,
I want to replace them with Stainless Steel Bolts, 12 point
I notice they are a pressed in sleeve containing the bolt,
I ASSUME they will come out with a little upwards pressure on the head, while turning.
Is that correct ?.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
How about an EASY question for you guys, replacing the bolts on the truck intake,
I want to replace them with Stainless Steel Bolts, 12 point
I notice they are a pressed in sleeve containing the bolt,
I ASSUME they will come out with a little upwards pressure on the head, while turning.
Is that correct ?.
Been so long since I played with a stock truck in take........I think so ...I'll dig one up to night and see.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Is there a better lifter than the updated "Hellcat" for a street performance Hemi engine? One where the lifter failure is non existent?
depends on the price range you want to play in, the Hellcat(aka every new Hemi since 2016ish) will take the beating up to .600 lift , when you get over that , it's like anything else maintaince is key to longevity , new yokes are $15-20 buck each from the dealer. Johnson are getting expensive Isky is OUTRAGOUS , not sure if Crower is still making them, Comp Cams link bar are about 700ish...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Going back to those billet AAR lifter trays,
As far as a street motor is concerned , can you think of any reasons NOT to run them ?
Just as an insurance policy ?
Anybody run them for 50,000 miles yet ?
Aluminum wear ? Lifter wear ?
Just thinking out loud .............................picking your brains 😎
Hey what happened to the popcorn emoji ?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
As far as a street motor is concerned , can you think of any reasons NOT to run them ? .........................................................................No
Just as an insurance policy ?......................................................................................................................................................................Yeap
Anybody run them for 50,000 miles yet ?....................................................................................................................................................I can think of a few . My niece's 2010 Challenger , had a set in the 383(5.7base ) it had 25k on it when we pulled the engine and sold the rolling chassis, the 431 we built for her 1320 Challenger got that old set of AAD trays and she has about 20k on that 431ci(6.4 base)
Aluminum wear ? Lifter wear ? .....................................................not measurable
Just thinking out loud .............................picking your brains 😎..........................pick away

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
As far as a street motor is concerned , can you think of any reasons NOT to run them ?
Just as an insurance policy ?
Anybody run them for 50,000 miles yet ?
Aluminum wear ? Lifter wear ?
Just thinking out loud .............................picking your brains 😎

The 1st set I used was a very tight fight with OEM 6.1 lifters, too the point where I was worried .but they "loosened" up. I lost track of that build after the car was sold a few times, I know it had 6k on it when we changed the cam to bigger one....they trays looked fine there was some wear marks but nothing I wouldn't of expected.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Thanks Ric , appreciate the input !
I bought the new OEM ones , but after thinking about it , If they can get them to me before January, I'll get them as an insurance policy, just in case "I go crazy and attack the 03 PCM" , opening up the possibility of a larger cam.
WTH , YOLO

Reactions: Ghost03hemi

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
I'M BAAAAACCCCKKKK so I pulled the trigger bought aGOpro......yes I'm finally getting around to posting some G3HEMI content ...YES Stu there will be a 10 second NA GTx Video as soon as I get it back to the track.

Ric, In this video above ,you showed where you banana grooved the oil hole for more oiling to the top of the spring via the hole in the rocker , during that video, you made a reference to the two (2) holes for the other side of the rocker arm, and banana grooving between them, I assume for a little more lubricant under the loaded (bottom) side of the rocker arm. Is this correct ? And can you elaborate a little on those two holes ?

Reactions: Ghost03hemi

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Three holes, a shaft and A rocker……I would think at your age I wouldn’t have to explain it……LOL.

Now for the seriousness ……the 2 inner holes, the ones facing the stands ..feed the Pushrod, the lower hole we’ll call 7 o’clock, it feeds the pushrod at 0 lift , the higher hole , we’ll call 9 o’clock, it feeds the pushrod at .480-510 lift

The smaller hole that faces the valve spring, feeds oil to the Valve tip at “max lift”

When you get in to the higher lift applications the “max lift “holes are actually covered up by the rocker and oil trickles into the push rod, and on the other side the oil that is supposed to be squirting out on to the valve tip is blocked

For the Daily grind engines, it’s not an issue, for the VVT engines, it can be a culprit in the Lifter eating monster….for the .600 and higher guys who burn valve tips and eat lifters…..it’s an issue.

It’s why I banana grove the shafts…….the groove on the “2 hole” side keeps the push rod constantly suppled , on the Valve tip side it keeps the tip submerged(really the wrong word).

When I block the head oil feed holes, It’s more important to groove the shafts , this way the valve tip doesn’t get over heated

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Well still waiting for ARP head bolts ARGH ARGH ARGH, it has given me some time to make sure I have all the parts I need , and spent more time on that truck intake manifold. WAY more time than I thought I would ,
After getting the ribs knocked down with various carbide bits in my Makita.
Then comes the sanding , and more sanding and more sanding
Then body filler , sanding, more body filler , more sanding , more body filler , more sanding
Then to the FILLING PRIMER stage , 1st coat , light sand, 2nd coat, more sanding, 3rd coat more sanding ARGH
FINALLY PAINT , 5 coats later , I just put on the last coat , I THINK !
here in how it looks . And some of the materials/tools I used
Black-and-white Font Art Tints and shades Office supplies

Red Material property Carmine Fashion accessory Fictional character

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Font Asphalt

Textile Red Rectangle Pattern Linens

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Orange Paint Ingredient Cuisine Automotive design
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Font Asphalt
Textile Red Rectangle Pattern Linens
Red Material property Carmine Fashion accessory Fictional character
Black-and-white Font Art Tints and shades Office supplies