Hemi Truck Club banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Close , they also have some additives in there to help it hang, Either Cab-o-Sil M5 or EH-5F (same stuff in some milk shake mixes) plus a surfactant to help it wet out.

Acetone is VOC exempt now......funny how it was considered a major Ozone depleting solvent for long time.....(wink, wink ,nudge, nudge,) But now it's all Good I guess Nail polish remover is more important than we realized

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Just had to look it up , naphtha , not acetone , close !
Pale Oil 45%
Naphtha 35% :eek:
IPA ( Isopropyl Alcohol ) 20%

Stopping by Home Depot tomorrow :dance:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
Close , they also have some additives in there to help it hang, Either Cab-o-Sil M5 or EH-5F (same stuff in some milk shake mixes) plus a surfactant to help it wet out.

Acetone is VOC exempt now......funny how it was considered a major Ozone depleting solvent for long time.....(wink, wink ,nudge, nudge,) But now it's all Good I guess Nail polish remover is more important than we realized
Yes , Just ask any of my 3 daughters how important Nail Polish Remover is !!!:facepalm:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I have used them a few times I have a set in a 392 with a Howards .600 lift cam, he's got about 25k miles on it now. , had set on my 428 in the old 2014 truck with the Comp cams 274 XFI camshaft, I put 12k on that before I pulled the 428 and sold it....it now resides in a 72 Road Runner Clone...may another 7-8k mile on it.
One of the guys who works under me has a 05 Magnum which is his daily driver,392in 5.7 build, he has had a set of the PRW PQX(same thing as Procomp) roller tip rockers on this thing since mid-2013 the 1st set broke a roller tip after about 1k , PRW was quick to replace the set , and the 2nd set has gone 40k .ran a Comp Cams 273 for about 35k of the 40 now has a Green racing cam , 59X/58X lift , He also has another 05 maggy with a 2014 Charger clip that he runs in the Hemi Shoot out stuff, 389CI Darton 6.1(4.155X3.59) constantly in the 8k range ,stock DLC coated shafts , Manton collars and hold downs , with a set of the PRW rockers.

Now ...are they over kill, no.....but as long as your old rockers don't have burnt tips...go with what you have.,,,one thing though , have the ends(side that runs against the stand or collar ) checked make sure they are flat some of them have for a lack of better wording have jagged edges.
Stock shafts are plenty good for lifts up to high 500s and 7k RPMs
Collars and hold downs are a good thing if you have the spare cash....If I had to choose I would get collars over the hold downs.
Thanks for the info on these , besides the one roller tip , are there any problems into running the PRW / Pro Comp Roller tip assembly ?
I can't seem to find much info on the shaft they use , ?
Any problems with the pushrods fitting properly ?
thank you

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
it's Chromoly Shaft 4135 series, thickness I don't remember the didn't seam thicker than stock. . they use the same length push rods as stock.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Ow and the rocker assemblies have been in Acetone for 4 hours now , they didn't have any sludge on them, just Dino oil varnish , which is STILL on them ,
may have to try something different ?? I'll give it a couple days see what happens .
What is slightly alarming is that on a couple of the rocker arms , top of the arm part , it did clean them , very strange , not your usual slow transition from dirty to clean , but a hard separation, almost like it flaked off just in a small area, I'll send photo's later , almost like an area of stress ???? photos on way

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Here is what I'm talking about :sad:, maybe it's just where it decided to come off first , but it almost like the area's that it is coming off , are high stress area's:eek:

Maybe I'm just full of it , or seeing things that aren't there .:icon_peace:

Anyone seen this ?

Attachments

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
That does look a bit different. Can't imagine the chemicals corroding the metal or it being stress related.. sorry IDK...

Reactions: oldmanram

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Here is what I'm talking about :sad:, maybe it's just where it decided to come off first , but it almost like the area's that it is coming off , are high stress area's:eek:

Maybe I'm just full of it , or seeing things that aren't there .:icon_peace:

Anyone seen this ?
I'm going to go with Metal is less porous in those spots.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
6AM , about 12 hours of soaking ............
Here is closeup of one rocker , with 2 different cleaning patterns ,
Note: the clean area to the right , I circled it in white , it has SOFT cleaning transition ........

Next photo is moving the rocker arm, Note under that area......... an oiling hole.... .... so that area was probably a little cooler running than the rest of the rocker.

But that still doesn't explain the other cleaning pattern ..........

Guess I should have taken ANOTHER year of engineering classes :banghead:
:lol::lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Has anyone tried putting banana grooves in the rocker arm shaft for better lubrication ???
I know it a common thing to do on the older generation small block's , and
I know the aftermarket shafts have them , but was curious if anyone tried it on their Gen3 stock shafts ??

thoughts ?

The reason I ask is look at the wear pattern on the shaft below , by the oil hole

Attachments

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
I would be afraid they would develop cracks. But not having done this I can't say with certainly they would. The oem wall thickness is only around .187"- .0157"..

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Has anyone tried putting banana grooves in the rocker arm shaft for better lubrication ???
I know it a common thing to do on the older generation small block's , and
I know the aftermarket shafts have them , but was curious if anyone tried it on their Gen3 stock shafts ??

thoughts ?

The reason I ask is look at the wear pattern on the shaft below , by the oil hole
I'll Be Back........LOL

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

·
Stu
21,383 Posts
Those are some nice little mods. Thank you Rick. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Just a suggestion. It would be nice if these mod vids where put somewhere as "stickies" for everyone to view and mod their Hemi engines. Things like this stuff as well.

Porting Hemi cylinder heads.
Porting Hemi intake manifolds.
Installing LS double valve springs.
Installing Johnson LS style hydraulic lifters.
Proper harmonic balancer fitting/installation on crankshaft.
Clearancing Hemi engine block for stroker crankshaft.
Proper ring gaps for n/a, nos and boosted Hemi engines.
Proper cr for n/a, nos and boosted Hemi engines for street/track.
Cam degreeing for Hemi engine.
Installing a cog belt on a supercharger for Hemi engine.
ect, ect.

·
Greg
20,040 Posts
They did run a die grinder ?(I think) around the sharp edges , nice touch
I especially like the attention to detail with the de-burring. To me it expresses quality and is the way it should be finished...

Reactions: oldmanram

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Those are some nice little mods. Thank you Rick. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Just a suggestion. It would be nice if these mod vids where put somewhere as "stickies" for everyone to view and mod their Hemi engines. Things like this stuff as well.

Porting Hemi cylinder heads.
Porting Hemi intake manifolds.
Installing LS double valve springs.
Installing Johnson LS style hydraulic lifters.
Proper harmonic balancer fitting/installation on crankshaft.
Clearancing Hemi engine block for stroker crankshaft.
Proper ring gaps for n/a, nos and boosted Hemi engines.
Proper cr for n/a, nos and boosted Hemi engines for street/track.
Cam degreeing for Hemi engine.
Installing a cog belt on a supercharger for Hemi engine.
ect, ect.

I'll be working hard on it very , very soon , Long winter a head and I'll be home for most of it.
Once I get going on these I'll post them in the Engine performance section.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Can I make a request for the video on Cam Degreeing to be next ? :hide:
I'm going to be throwing mine in next ........ :dance:

Reactions: ric3xrt
101 - 120 of 149 Posts