Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After engine is warm, oil pressure indicator starts to oscillate and drops to zero. My truck has been parked over a year and before starting it, I change the oil, filter and added a can of Seafoam to clean and flush the oil system.
However, when engine warms and oil pressure starts to oscillate, I notice valve lifters knocking. If I turno off the engine for while and start it again, oil pressure comes to normal again and valve lifter sounds disappears for a while. If I press the gas pedal, problems seems to worsen.
The oil removed was very dirty and kind of sludge. That’s why I opted to use an oil flush product.
I have three theories in mind:
1. The Seafoam thinned the new oil too much.
2. There is oil sludge in the oil pan that blocks oil pick up screen.
3. The oil pump is busted
Your expertise is highly appreciated. Thank You!!

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Because you have lifter clatter associated with the low oil pressure I believe this to be a genuine oil pressure issue. I'll agree with the pickup becoming clogged. For peace of mind I would drop the pan to inspect the pickup screen and clean out the pan.

Reactions: RAMjet

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
Put a mechanical guage on it and see what your have for actual pressure cold and then hot. If that ends up being low then remove pan and inspect screen for a clog. If acreen is good then you likely have a bad oil pump and this could in turn have damaged the lifters also from lack of oil

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your expedite feedback! I will proceed with a pickup screen inspection and pray I will found it clogged... If not, then I will take care of the oil pump... I'll keep you updated for results!

Reactions: Redtruck-VA

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally have some time for my truck that's been sitting in the garage for two years already. I will proceed with both tasks (pick up screen inspection an cleaning and oil pump replacement). Additionally, I'm replacing the time chain kit.
I do have a question... Since, I'm removing the time chain and oil pump cover, is it absolutely necessary to lift the engine to remove the oil pan?
Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
Should not need to raise engine unless it’s a 4x4 or drop the front diff down if need be

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should not need to raise engine unless it’s a 4x4 or drop the front diff down if need be
Yes, it is a 4x4... I guess I should rent a crane then... Thanks! Charged392!

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
Yeah you will need to raise it up a little. The brace comes off the bottom then remove upper engine mount bolts and loosen bottoms (there slotted) raise engine 2-3” till you can get pan out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts