Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up last week and installed.. real easy install too. Had one on my 2008 but the new ones have upgraded hinges and locks...real nice

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picked it up last week and installed.. real easy install too. Had one on my 2008 but the new ones have upgraded hinges and locks...real nice

·
Registered
40,856 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
If properly installed, they should not do that at all. The good news is that ALL the Undercover models now have the most recent knob brackets, they no longer have the little rings that you had to remove to remove the cover.

The Undercover SE-Smooth is a GREAT alternative to a fiberglass cover.

·
Retired BOD - Doug
39,640 Posts
I agree David but these days a lot of guys are trying to save a few dollars and doing everything they can themselves.
Nice looking covers and always have been. BTW..I'm still running the Retrax I got from you in 2005. Still looks good and works great. For my purpose it's awesome.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Glad to hear that Retrax is still working for you!

Retrax has a new cover called the RetraxPro. It's made of black powdercoated aluminum. It can hold 1,000 pounds! I only have a small cross section sample of the cover, this thing is BEEFY!

RetraxPro on the left, TruckCoversUSA on the right.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys,

When installed properly there is a good 3/16 to 3/8 space away from the paint all round so no issue there. Best is that it's water tight, comes off quickly, relatively light at 58lbs, locks and strong enough to walk on when I wash the top of the truck.

At $700 shipped it's inexpensive compared to the others as well.

·
Retired BOD - Doug
39,640 Posts
All that really matters is that "your" happy! The only problem I have personally had is trying to handle one alone. It's not the weight but getting it picked up is tough.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Originally posted by BigBlock: The good news is that ALL the Undercover models now have the most recent knob brackets, they no longer have the little rings that you had to remove to remove the cover.
Are these new "knob brackets" something you can buy and use to replace the old style setup using the split ring? I have an undercover on my 08( 4th truck to use one )and I love the product.

My one real gripe with the product in general deals with the original mounting system. That would be the way the bracket always rusts where the split ring goes on. I try and be careful putting the split ring on but it is impossible to not damage the surface and it always rusts. Even using rust stopper and TUP it still does it. My bracket tabs where the ring goes are all rust and I have never had the cover off. It has happened just from the original install.

I am betting you can't just swap brackets but it would be nice if you could. At least they finally addressed this issue.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Originally posted by "RANCHER":
Nice cover! I have seen some eat the paint off the end of the bed though.
The cover itself should never touch the paint if it is installed properly as others have said. There is supposed to be a gap on each side and at the tailgate( it does not hang down over the front - only the weatherstrip seal does ). Approx 3/16 +/- on my truck all around. If the cover is eating paint off the tailgate then it is set too far forward.

The only other thing that actually can eat some paint is dirt getting under the weatherstrip seal that sits on the bed rails and across the top of the tailgate. The vibrations of driving can work the cover back and forth a little so it acts like sandpaper. I have seen that happen with hard tonneaus in general.

On any truck of mine that gets a hard tonneau, be it an Undercover or some other brand, I ALWAYS use a bed rail cover of some type and a tailgate cap. You have to really or eventually you will see paint issues from the dirt/dust that gets trapped between the paint and the weatherstrip.

My truck with the classic/original Undercover( I am not a fan of the new style with the raised rear lip = UGLY! - to each his own however )and the items to protect against paint damage...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Those are nice covers. I think I looked at them while shopping for a cover for my dads 2010 F-150. Ended up with the Armorlid. Almost extact same thing but with a smooth underside and it weighs twice as much. Not kidding the thing was almost 130lbs shipping weight.
$599 shipped was upside of it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I paid $595 for my Undercover.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Armor Lid is an import from China. It does not fit trucks as well as Undercover and the hardware is not as durable.

Undercover is made in the U.S. and it's patented design seen beneath the cover makes it very strong.

Just my opinion: Spend the extra money and get an Undercover.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Originally posted by BigBlock:
Armor Lid is an import from China. It does not fit trucks as well as Undercover and the hardware is not as durable.

Undercover is made in the U.S. and it's patented design seen beneath the cover makes it very strong.

Just my opinion: Spend the extra money and get an Undercover.
Interesting.
I had a chance to look at the two covers side by side when one of the members came over my house a couple weeks ago and all the hardware was the same. The struts were a little different on the latches but that was the only difference in hardware and locks.
The underside is solid and smooth on the Armorlid and the Undercover is ribbed. I personally like both covers and wouldn't have a problem owning either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts