Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought two new Dodge Ram trucks in my life. One in 1979 that i no longer own. A 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummins that is still running strong with only 90,000 miles on it.
Now I've acquired a 2012 Ram 1500 Lone Star edition with the 5.7 Hemi. At no extra charge it came with a usual bad cam/lifter issue. I was aware of the problem and think I gave a fair price. Since I'm a mechanic I should come out good on the deal as I'll do my own work.
I've read several things on the web indicating that doing away with the MDS is the best way to go. I'm hoping maybe I can pickup some helpful tips from others on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Boosted 426 & '14 4X4
12,685 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the HEMI Truck Club Forum. Enjoy your Ride and the Site.
You'll find some knowledgeable and friendly people to answer your questions or just entertain you.
Glad you could join us!

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
Welcome to our Hemi Family! (y)

·
Red Trucker
226 Posts
I've read several things on the web indicating that doing away with the MDS is the best way to go. I'm hoping maybe I can pickup some helpful tips from others on this forum.
Welcome and it's a personal choice. There is an amazing amount of misinformation out there regarding that issue. It is strictly a LIFTER issue, not an MDS issue. If it were strictly an MDS issue it would always be the lifters on cylinders 1, 4, 6 & 7; it's not. This is happened to stick shift Challengers. Me personally I always thought MDS in a truck was funny, but they believe in it enough that even the truck 6.4's have it. I'm a believer in the cars, I have an almost 500hp 392 that will still get 24-25 mpg on the highway. If you do decide to delete MDS, make sure you get the latest part number OEM non-MDS lifter or pony up for a set of Johnsons. Don't get suckered by the "hellcat lifters" advertising and markup; ALL new non-MDS lifters have the same part number. It's only a hellcat lifter if it's actually in a 6.2. You'll need to turn off MDS in the tune. Of course this would be a golden opportunity for a cam upgrade, especially since you'll have everything cracked open and you'll need tuning anyway......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts