Hemi Truck Club banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
My opinion any good washable air filter in the stock air box is going to give you the same performance of any expensive air tube you might buy. I am not a big fan of these so-called air intake tubes with a washable filter on the end that sits inside a hot engine compartment it just makes no sense to me how that is going to make more power when it's sucking hot air and the metal tube becomes hot sitting in the engine compartment... Just my two cents

Reactions: Redtruck-VA

· Greg
20,332 Posts
I agree, before I was supercharged I had everything insulated.

Attachments

· Registered
1,210 Posts
My opinion any good washable air filter in the stock air box is going to give you the same performance of any expensive air tube you might buy. I am not a big fan of these so-called air intake tubes with a washable filter on the end that sits inside a hot engine compartment it just makes no sense to me how that is going to make more power when it's sucking hot air and the metal tube becomes hot sitting in the engine compartment... Just my two cents

I almost beg to differ...I think the bottleneck is the air resonator (hemi hat), I've used different cai's throughout the years and the last 2 I use back and forth is the S&B and my ole Ramhammer. Although the S&B is a true cai in an enclosed box with a big dry filter and smooth tube, I swapped it out a couple nights ago for the Ramhammer and it truly feels like my truck pulls so much harder than the S&B..and definitely waaay more than stock..which I have to swap in every other year for emissions inspections.

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
All I can give you is my experience. And I suppose results will vary in different areas of the world... I have used the factory hat in my Turbo setup and I can tell you I didn't lose very much as far as throttle response and build of boots... I would probably still be using it today if it was not for the backfire I had that split It Wide Open..... It's your money you can waste it however you like!:thumb:

· Registered
1,210 Posts
All I can give you is my experience. And I suppose results will vary in different areas of the world... I have used the factory hat in my Turbo setup and I can tell you I didn't lose very much as far as throttle response and build of boots... I would probably still be using it today if it was not for the backfire I had that split It Wide Open..... It's your money you can waste it however you like!:thumb:
I like that jab...jeesh...no wonder I stayed away awhile...

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Mark, you might take note Fred has had a fast truck for a long time. We can all learn from him, I know I have. With a [email protected] makes him quicker than some booste trucks on the forum. Anytime you restrict either air in or exhuast out you will not be making optimal power. We all have favorite parts that we prefer over others, not buying what others use doesn't make money spent a waste. Besides I'm particularly sensitive about wasting money as I find myself doing so often...

· Slow Memeber
5,538 Posts
How is your truck running btw? Haven’t seen much update on it, or the ats for that matter. Let’s not turn someone else’s thread to **** talking about wasting money, I figured we saved that for the Ats thread.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Mark, you might take note Fred has had a fast truck for a long time. We can all learn from him, I know I have. With a [email protected] makes him quicker than some booste trucks on the forum. Anytime you restrict either air in or exhuast out you will not be making optimal power. We all have favorite parts that we prefer over others, not buying what others use doesn't make money spent a waste. Besides I'm particularly sensitive about wasting money as I find myself doing so often...
X2...........and that's why I searched Fred out after getting my Ram and lurking on threads. He knows what he's talking about based on quantifiable experience.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
I think in our cases we are comparing apples to oranges... FI is so much different than NA so our experiences when it comes to intakes are going to different. I envy those of you that have gone the FI rout and it seems it's more common in FL than it is out here.

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,178 Posts
I am an equal offender when it comes to wasting money:facepalm: only offering my experience......:flowers:

61 - 74 of 74 Posts