Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...about a month ago I purchased an 05 Ram Hemi 1500 4X4 with 110k miles.

The previous owner(s) seemed to have done quite a few mods to it as well as it having probably every option package available at the time.

I got to know another 05 ram hemi owner in another forum, Fred (chefred112) and we've discussed his mods and mods I should do...along with learning about everything already done to the truck.

Today he recommended joining this forum since there's a lot of Florida owners here.

Not sure if anyone is in NE Florida, but I live in Jax, about 15 min from Jax Beach.

I've been looking for anyone who knows more about this truck local to me so I can brainstorm about different mod options and maybe eventually do cam install/gears or things outside my abilities.

I've seen FL meet up threads in here but with 2 toddlers and a 3 month old, its difficult to go much further than local to me.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in, introduce myself, and see if any owners are close by.

Matt

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! It's good to find guys local for help and not the whims of local shops...haha

So far what Fred and I have discovered about my Hemi...

Factory Options:
- Tow Package
- 4X4
- 3.92 gears
- Black leather Interior
- QC
- Sprayliner
- Sunroof
- probably more I can't think of...

Current Mods:
- Fred believes I have OBX LBs with Y pipe
- Flowmasters muffler (in place of cat), dual out
- Aftermarket 20" wheels with 33" tires
- Some kind of lift
- Aftermarket touchscreen Android with backup camera
- efan not hooked up (going to swap it)
- 180 stat
- AEM Wideband (need to install)
- Possibly TB ported (not sure, pics below)
- Some kind of Diablo tune (tried loading canned tune but got error when downloading stock tune as there was a tune already loaded)

Possible Future Mods:
- CAI (Fred may still have a BFI clone he had made)
- Taurus efan with DC controller
- Ported TB
- Magnaflow muffler (replacing FM)
- Maybe 4.92 gears (unsure if its worth it)
- Jay Greene tune
- CAM (Fred said Spartan is best for mid range power for DD...open to ideas)
- I'm sure there's more I didn't think of or could be recommended.

I don't really plan to run at a track...could change. Lol. I've just always modded my vehicles since I was 17 so its in my nature. Still have to decide to what degree I want to mod.

First goal is obviously getting bolt ons situated. After that its up in there air.

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice list of stuff so far. Just so you know I am a CMR tuner also. A cam, tune and some gears will help get that moving.
Awesome man! I'm new to a lot of this stuff so forgive me if my questions sound elementary...

Do you do custom tunes that I upload via Diablo Predator? Or how does it work?

When I briefly spoke to Jay, he mentioned doing unlimited tunes for 1 cost for bolt ons and then another cost when cams/boost/NOS is added.

Since I already have a mystery tune on the truck, my plan was to leave it as is until I do a few more bolt ons then have him tune and update as needed until I get to deeper mods.

I've been toying with the idea of doing 4.56 gears but through different threads, its hard to conclude. I know with a 4X4 its 2X the work/cost...also I could technically just do rear first. Fred has a set of new 4.56 gears I could get from him. But again, need some advice/insight to make the jump. Apparently the previous guy had the wrong oil in the gears which my mechanic found a lot of metal shavings. He replaced the oil and added extra friction reduction stuff to buy more time but they'll need replacing at some point anyway.

So either gears will go in first then cam, or just straight to cam depending on what I learn from you gurus...lol.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Fred! I didn't realize Keith (Charged392) was the guy you told me about before...lol. Connecting dots now.

I'd rather do both gears if I can get then done cost efficiently somehow...its outside my scope. I guess I'm looking some pros/cons to see if I should do it....then how to get it done.

Now that I've officially found Keith, I can look into his tuning instead....lol. Keith, do you mind pinging me some details please?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thx for the feedback guys....I've been trying to read more about cams. Still don't understand the spec numbers ... But with a daily driver 4X4 QC, wouldn't low/mid cam like a 260 or Spartan be best?

Seems like 268 or equivalent would place power outside my typical driving.

My only education here is based on threads and advice...so just trying to understand cams better in relation to my use.

Thx for all the help so far 😊

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I can't say I'll never race it...lol...but with 3 little ones, I haven't even been able to exercise my fishing rods in 6 months.

So I guess my main objective for now is to have an aggressive street truck...until I decide to take the next step.

Seeing as Fred has a 260 I could take off his hands, I figured I would at least see if that cam would be worth it for my current needs......or if there's another cam that would be better for the time being.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
260 cam, 6.1 springs, Manley push rods are a nice combo.

You would still feel more out of the truck with 4.56 gears and would work good with the cam combo.
note that combo Matt...buy stuff here and there so it doesn't hit you all at once..
I'm settled on the gears...just have to gather everything and figure out how to get it on...lol

The cam seems to be a bit more complicated with knowing what cam, what all other pieces, getting everything, then figuring out how to get it done. And hoping its what I'm looking for in performance as to not need another cam swap.

Wish I could just get Keith to do it, but the distance and 3 little ones would force it to be an all at once operation. That would be big $$$...haha

I'd prefer to do it in stages but options are limited currently.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The saying was if you run 31" tire or larger use 4:56. If smaller go 4:10. I found 2100-2400 rpm at cruise was a good window for fuel and drivability. A short gear is fun to drive, but with high horsepower traction is a problem and you may find yourself looking for a taller gear. I use the words short and tall because we Americans often use High gear or low gear ratio to mean the opposite to their meaning. Example we will call a 3:55 gear a High gear ratio when it is actually numerically lower than a 4:56 gear which we refer to as a low gear. If you replace ratio with speed than it makes sense. Making a 3:55 a High speed gear and 4:56 a Low speed gear....
Thx man! Yeah I understand the correlation between tires size and gears. I've got 33" I believe...last time I did the formula. Not sure what size I'll eventually go to but the truck is lifted now so 28"-ers aren't in the future...haha. Once I get the 4.56s done, I'll just make sure the tire size makes sense moving forward.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
As for mod updates, I have installed a 180 tstat. Man did that take way longer than it was supposed to. Makes me want to drop the lift that came with the truck. I had no leverage up there.

Also had the little FM muffler swapped with a 8X11X22 Magnaflow. Sounds better/quieter/no drone, and apparently better flow. So multiple wins there.

More immediate next mods will be a Taurus efan and gears (hopefully I can find most parts from forums members).

I still have stock intake and probably should put that on the "next" list but I'm stuck on wanting the ever elusive BFI/ramhammer intake, so haven't pulled the trigger on any other more common ones...lol

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Your stock intake actually gives you more torque so don't sweat that... As long as you're not trying to pump 20 pounds of boost through it you're good...
Didn't know that....glad I didn't just get one because everyone's doing it...lol

Can always drop a a Afraid filter into the stock air box. They even make a pipe to eliminate the hemi hat.
This may be a good alternative...from what I understand the hemi hat is the main restriction in the stock intake. So eliminate that with a better filter and should help breathing, yes?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
That's the one I was thinking about, but it is more expensive then I remember. Maybe try ebay..
How it seems to go...test the market with lower costs then with popularity, jack the prices up...lol.

Looks like something that should be $50 shipped.

Wish I could somehow fab up a 6" to 4" BFI style intake.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Mark, you might take note Fred has had a fast truck for a long time. We can all learn from him, I know I have. With a [email protected] makes him quicker than some booste trucks on the forum. Anytime you restrict either air in or exhuast out you will not be making optimal power. We all have favorite parts that we prefer over others, not buying what others use doesn't make money spent a waste. Besides I'm particularly sensitive about wasting money as I find myself doing so often...
X2...........and that's why I searched Fred out after getting my Ram and lurking on threads. He knows what he's talking about based on quantifiable experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts