Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i just joined the site figured this would be the best place to get some advice. I just bought my first hemi. I have always owned dodges but they have been deisel powered so this is new to me.

My question is what is the best cai and exhaust combo to go with? I plow snow so i would like more power and better milage if possiable.

Like i said never had a gas so no idea where to start with the power increase. with my deisel i would just open the exhaust and add a programmer and call it good. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello all i just joined the site figured this would be the best place to get some advice. I just bought my first hemi. I have always owned dodges but they have been deisel powered so this is new to me.

My question is what is the best cai and exhaust combo to go with? I plow snow so i would like more power and better milage if possiable.

Like i said never had a gas so no idea where to start with the power increase. with my deisel i would just open the exhaust and add a programmer and call it good. Thanks in advance

·
Board of Directors
25,097 Posts
to HTC.

What year is your truck and does it currently have single exhaust? The debate about exhaust systems and CAIs is an ongoing one. My opinion is since you are snow plowing it makes sense to concentrate on low end and mid range torque rather than high rpm horsepower. Also my opinion is that a good flowing large single exhaust makes the best low and mid torque. The factory single exhaust has an extremely restrictive y-pipe and replacing that with a free flowing y-pipe like the Magnaflow is one of the best things you can do for a single exhaust system. Which muffler to go with is another area of debate. Some say always use a straight through muffler rather than a baffled one. My experience on my 2005 Ram is my Flowmaster 50HD muffler makes better torque and gives better throttle response than the Aero Turbine 3030XL I bought. I had been running the Flowmaster for a long time and decided to try the 3030XL. The torque and throttle response loss was obvious. The motor ran strong at high speed but the torque suffered. I went back to the Flowmaster and the torque and throttle response returned.

The CAI is another area of debate. But here again it is my opinion that a long tube snorkel will make the best torque. You can buy kits so you can "roll your own" or you can buy a system ready to bolt on. I went with the first option.

One thing you didn't ask about is gearing. For towing, plowing. and acceleration 4.56 gears work very well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 2011 2500. Can't remember now but the gears are either 3.53 or 3.73. It has factory exhaust so no duals which I'm really nor a big fan of

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Welcome aboard plowman2011 - we're glad you joined us!

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

·
Retired BOD - Doug
39,640 Posts
Welcome <span class="ev_code_RED">plowman2011</span>, glad to have ya join us!

I thought all 2011 with a HRMI came with duel exhaust.
Mine did and it's great but then mine isn't a 2500. We have a few guys that have plows on their HEMI's that might be able to give you some snow tips. All we have is hot and dry.

Feel free to join in on any of the threads to ask what ever you want. We are more a family these days. The economy has cut our participation to the bone. Sometimes it takes a while to get an answer so try in the General Discussion if the section you post in doesn't get you an answer. We also have a Chat Room that some of us go to on Thursday evenings around 7PM CST. Your welcome to join in if you like.... Like I said we are more of a family after all the years that some of us have been around and traveled together.
Just make yourself at home and join in. The more you participate the better it gets.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by plowman2011:
Its a 2011 2500. Can't remember now but the gears are either 3.53 or 3.73. It has factory exhaust so no duals which I'm really nor a big fan of
Welcome plowman2011!

The only thing you can do is CAI and a better exhaust but, they have not been able to crack the code for the newer truck for reprogram them. (yeah it sucks) And with out the programming the cai and exhaust you just don't get the best out of them. And for millage doesn't really matter what you do when you plow.
For more pushing you can switch out to 456 but, them highway millage just goes out the window so to speak.

Yeah Doug only 1500's have them. they really thought that one out. NOT!

·
Board of Directors
25,097 Posts
Originally posted by plowman2011:
Look at the inside of the glove box door for a sticker. If one is there it should tell the current gearing.

·
Premium Member
9,585 Posts
you can switch out to 456 but, them highway millage just goes out the window so to speak.
Don't have any idea what effect it would have on pushing a plow but, I am happy with my 4.56 gears. Seat of the pants difference is awesome and if I drive 68-69 mph on the interstate, I get 21-22 mpg.

Daily driving which is a mix of city & highway, I get 17-19 mpg.

On top of that, I am running in the low thirteen seconds on the quarter mile drag strip.

I love my truck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts