Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a mobility scooter for long distances. However, I have a problem trying to place a carrier on the rear of my 2017 Chrysler 300. The weight of the carrier causes the receiver of the hitch to bottom out over speed bumps. I have not been able to find any air shocks or even HD shocks for the car.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??????????????????????:confused:

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
The hitch itself hits or the mount for the chair does? We could modify the part that goes into the hitch of that’s all that hits. I have also found coil spring inserts that will help stiffen the rear up a touch. Another method would be air shocks but I will need to see the suspension on a 300 will try and find a car at work one day to look at

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
But you have a hitch on the car now and what you want is something to raise the back end up a touch to clear stuff and hold the carts load back there correct?

I am looking into a few options for this issue at hand.

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My hitch is laying on the garage floor. Can't hit bottom all the time. What I want is some way to raise the rear to compensate for the low clearance of the hitch. Air shocks that have a valve in the trunk that I could use to pump them up would be great.

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
Ok I did find a 3” lift spacer for the rear of a Chrysler300 from 2005-2019. This will be up all the time in the rear with no adjustment allowed as it’s a spacer. I will look into air shocks now.

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
Got a few emails out there now for suspension stuff for the rear waiting for reply’s will know something soon.

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
I think we may have a winner here been looking non stop all night. These of there is room will boost the back of the car up nicely I used them for towing on my truck way back and just added them to a friends titan for towing his boat and they make a huge difference. Will put eyes on a Chrysler 300 ASAP to see what we have for room back there in the shock area.

Attachments

·
Red Trucker
230 Posts
I wonder if a set of Nivomats (self leveling shocks) from a first gen LX (like my Magnum) would do the trick. They're pretty good with keeping the back end leveled up under load. Pretty sure that part of the rear suspension hasn't changed.

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
ok good news looked at a car just now and there is room for the shock to clear in the rear of the car. this looks to be a viable option using the air shocks i posted above to help lift the rear of the car. let me know what you wanna do nathan. if you want to put these on will need the car over at the house and bring the hitch if it will fit if not no big deal. other option would be to have a shop near you install these on your car.

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
I found that also and emailed them and it has a static drop first of around 2” then lowers even more is what they said.

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
ok good news looked at a car just now and there is room for the shock to clear in the rear of the car. this looks to be a viable option using the air shocks i posted above to help lift the rear of the car. let me know what you wanna do nathan. if you want to put these on will need the car over at the house and bring the hitch if it will fit if not no big deal. other option would be to have a shop near you install these on your car.

What is the cost for these?

Air shocks????????????????

I would not need a compressor. I always have my little unit that runs off of the car battery.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
IMO, depending on the frequency of the chair being loaded would dictate whether a onboard compressor is needed. I ran air bags on a lowered truck and it was very convenient to just hit the toggle to adjust the height. It was fun at Lowe's, the contractors would grin like a cat with a bird when I loaded the truck. Climb in and raise it up and watch the grin would disappear.

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
No compressor onboard needed just a little battery compressor or a quick run by a local shop to fill them. They hold air really well also so leak down not a big deal

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a little compressor that I use to pump up tires. It simply hooks up to the car battery with clamps like those on a lightweight jumper cable. Stu has seen it. It is quite powerful. Will the valve stem be inside the trunk somewhere? Let me know when it will be convenient for you to install them. Do want me to send you some money so you don't have to use your own money.

:dance:

·
Administrator
17,872 Posts
Will be next Saturday before I am free. I get home around 1-3 range and should not take to long to put them on the car. The Vance will be in the trunk to fill them up also nice and easy to use. I will get them so they are here and when you come will settle up then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts