Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I am new on here and am looking for some help i have a 2009 ram sport..my engine has the following upgrades
stage 2 HRT comp cam and a set of tsp lifters and tsp 1515ML beehive valve springs and long tube headers and nitrous but have not opened the bottle yet.

I have rebuilt the engine twice now in the past 2 months i keep braking valve guides for some reason.
The first time the engine died it had a tsp cam shaft in it and it snapped the cam pin off and bent all the intake valves so we rebuilt it and put it back in the truck with the new comp cam figured may as well update it well we were in it about 500kms later its started knocking so we figured it was rod knock and pulled the engine again found out it had 5 broken valve guides so put new rod and main bearings and of course put new rod main and head bolts in i hate these hemi bolts lol anyways we changed the heads because we figured maybe the guy that put the tsp cam in may have over heated the engine a few times and warped the heads or something so that brings us to today the engines back in the truck running good for 2 hours have about 20kms on it and it starts knocking again :mad: same thing as before and i cant figure out what's going on and why this engine keep blowing up.

·
Super Moderator
10,773 Posts
Welcome to our Hemi Family!! (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You on any of the facebook groups?

Several variables could be wrong in this situation, so pull the heads(are they stock?) and have them inspected by an experienced machinist. Something is out of concentricity within your valve assembly most likely related to your p2v contact.

·
Registered
2004 GTX
50 Posts
Hello everyone
I am new on here and am looking for some help i have a 2009 ram sport..my engine has the following upgrades
stage 2 HRT comp cam and a set of tsp lifters and tsp 1515ML beehive valve springs and long tube headers and nitrous but have not opened the bottle yet.

I have rebuilt the engine twice now in the past 2 months i keep braking valve guides for some reason.
The first time the engine died it had a tsp cam shaft in it and it snapped the cam pin off and bent all the intake valves so we rebuilt it and put it back in the truck with the new comp cam figured may as well update it well we were in it about 500kms later its started knocking so we figured it was rod knock and pulled the engine again found out it had 5 broken valve guides so put new rod and main bearings and of course put new rod main and head bolts in i hate these hemi bolts lol anyways we changed the heads because we figured maybe the guy that put the tsp cam in may have over heated the engine a few times and warped the heads or something so that brings us to today the engines back in the truck running good for 2 hours have about 20kms on it and it starts knocking again :mad: same thing as before and i cant figure out what's going on and why this engine keep blowing up.

1st the dumb question .......do you have a cam phaser lock ?

Stock Heads? Eagle(oem 5.7)

·
Administrator
17,986 Posts
You say it’s breaking valve guides. Are they breaking in the spring area or in the runner? Make sure you valve train is not compressing and smashing the guide tips under the retainers for the springs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You say it’s breaking valve guides. Are they breaking in the spring area or in the runner? Make sure you valve train is not compressing and smashing the guide tips under the retainers for the springs.
They are snapping in the runners and riding on the valves as they going up and down but this time it turns out that's not the problem I'm pulling the valve covers off in a few hours to see what I can found as it sounds like the noice is under the driver's side valve cover I'm hopping it's not a bad lifter

·
Greg
20,054 Posts
Breaking a camshaft often is the results of a cam bearing seizing on a cam journal. Did you replace the cam (rear) bearing and was it aligned properly?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts