Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
MX SPECIAL
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been reading and searching but everyday there's something new , like I found the "power wire" mod and I was about to do a DIY one and then I found out it doesn't work. so this is why I'm asking a question asked 30000 times before.

I want to replace the stock muffler and I like the thrush sound, it's identical to a flowmaster to me, I also like the price and I can't really justify to spend a lot on a stainless muffler.

I had the thrush on a 360 a body with dual 2.5 exhaust and I really didn't noticed any difference between that and a 360 dual flowmaster i think they were 40 series..., From what the internet says the 40 series and the thrush are exactly the same ?

so anyone has a hemi with a flowmaster 40 series or thrush that would like to share a soundclip of ?

I'm also set on retaining the stock resonator to keep the volume down and avoid any drone. am I right to think it will bring the exhaust volume down ?

I can get the cats removed because I don't have emission control on the area I live, is it worth something to do this ? any benefit ? any cons ?

and the Y pipe , I'm thinking on getting the Flowmaster one.

So what is the performance gain expected from this if any ? , I'm actually doing it to give it a better exhaust note , not really counting HP gains or anything I'm just curious

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
This something I did many years ago on a chevy truck I had at the time. Simply remove the muffler and leave the cats and resonators. Most any Y pipe can be installed by a muffler shop. Someone will need to tell you or you can measure the cross over pipe for diameter. The rest of the system should be 3". At least the price is right.

·
MX SPECIAL
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea how what you suggest would sound :lol: , wouldn't that be louder than a muffler ?

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Actually I had full length pipes out the back and it had a nice smooth rumble that sounded to me really good when I stood on it.

If you want to pull the cats, just run the resonators...

·
Greg
19,974 Posts

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
I personally prefer this one. I don't like FlowMaster.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-10778

And if you want a muffler, I would try this one...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-18129/overview/
------------------------------------------------------
:iagree: - I'm not a fan of FlowMaster either although if sound is your ONLY objective many seem to like it. If relative quiet is really what you want then:
I would suggest saving a few more dollars and getting a MagnaFlow 3" Y-Pipe and the Aero-Turbine 3030XL or the 24" MagnaFlow for a straight through flow and a deeper tone.

:GoodLuck1:

·
MX SPECIAL
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The magnaflow Y pipe is actually cheaper and it looks good so I'm going with that thanks Greg

Thrush is like $30 locally, and the end plan is to actually put a turbo then I will spend on a big 5" nice exhaust. for now I do want an upgrade in sound and some performace but I see no point on spending on nice things to throw away down the road, maybe the Y I can resell but nobody is going to want a used muffler even if its a nice magnaflow or aeroturbine.

It seems I'm alone on this one but magnaflow's sound isnt' really my thing and I know clips don't do any exhaust justice but the aeroturbine just doesn't click with me either on gas engines,

I am planning on a 5050xl for a 24v cummins tho, it's straight piped right now and the aeroturbine seems to be an improvement over that lowering egt's.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Just run what YOU like - that's most important :thumb:. There are probably more opinions on mufflers than CAI's and you've seen how many CA intake ideas have been suggested over the years :facepalm:.

:dance: :thumb:

·
MX SPECIAL
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just run what YOU like - that's most important :thumb:. There are probably more opinions on mufflers than CAI's and you've seen how many CA intake ideas have been suggested over the years :facepalm:.

:dance: :thumb:

Thanks man, I actually just installed a universal pro-flo edelbrock filter on the stock intake piping because I like the hemi hat :D

I'll post pics when it's done.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Thanks man, I actually just installed a universal pro-flo edelbrock filter on the stock intake piping because I like the hemi hat :D

I'll post pics when it's done.
-------------------------------------------------
:dance: - Hey I like the Hemi-Hat too:thumb:. That's why way back when I bought the truck new in 2005 I installed the AFE High Breather CAI and it retains the Hemi-Hat. Although I've been tempted several times I haven't changed yet :thumb:.

:D

·
MX SPECIAL
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
-------------------------------------------------
:dance: - Hey I like the Hemi-Hat too:thumb:. That's why way back when I bought the truck new in 2005 I installed the AFE High Breather CAI and it retains the Hemi-Hat. Although I've been tempted several times I haven't changed yet :thumb:.

:D
I've been doing more reading and came up exactly... more confused than how I started.

Removing the cats has any pros ?

Some say it is a free flowing one on this trucks but after 10 years of use I'm not sure that's the case, there's also the " you need the backpressure created by the cats" argument, others say it will make it a lot louder...

I don't have to pass inspection so that's not a problem for me.

So , any performance gains on getting rid of the cats ?

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
With the cats removed you can use leaded fuel.

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
Run Longtubes or some header into a Y no catts and a nice muffler and your good to go just enough back pressure not downside. Don't run true duals you will loose bottom end badly! Catts or no catts makes no diff other than they will get burnt up with a lot of wot driving I say take them out !

·
MX SPECIAL
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks ! I hope I have some time tomorrow and go to the exhaust shop to have the cats removed and the muffler installed.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a flow master 40 series on my truck. I like the sound and it's not annoying on the highway. Only downfall, I've had it for just over a year and it's already started to rattle every now and then... When it gets worse enough to start to getting annoying, in going with an aero3030.

·
James
1,498 Posts
I ran rustmasters for several years until they eventually lived up to their name, and started rattling inside. Now I run a Magnaflow tru-x and love it. It's a single, dual in /dual out, and it's much deeper and louder then the dual flowmaster. Below is the link to my start up and slight rev, when I first completed the 392 build. Then I had dual flowmaster, no cats.

http://youtu.be/NIBH0kXzXGw

·
Enormous Member
1,154 Posts
Look into Spintech, you won't be disappointed

1 - 20 of 44 Posts