Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a small controversy locally concerning a veteran recieving Military Honors at his funeral. He was an Air Force vet (1979-83). Two weeks ago he was at a Cracker Barrel Resturant with his wife and 2 daughters, when his wife told him the marriage was over. He went out to his vehicle and drove around the parking lot for a few laps, while his wife called 911 to express concern that he might do something.
The first Officer arrived while he was circling and went around the other way to cut him off but the suspect stopped short and walked into the resturant with a shotgun andtargeted his wife first then one of his daughters, killing the wife and severly wounding the daughter. He then followed his other daughter into the Women's restroom and shot and killed her on her 10th Birthday ( the reason for being @ the resturant). He then walked out the door and was shot and killed by Officers when failed to follow orders to drop his weapon.
Originally the Funeral Home requested Honors for him but the request was withdrawn @ the Family's request after it was made public.
Does a vet under these circumstances deserve Honors @ his funeral?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There was a small controversy locally concerning a veteran recieving Military Honors at his funeral. He was an Air Force vet (1979-83). Two weeks ago he was at a Cracker Barrel Resturant with his wife and 2 daughters, when his wife told him the marriage was over. He went out to his vehicle and drove around the parking lot for a few laps, while his wife called 911 to express concern that he might do something.
The first Officer arrived while he was circling and went around the other way to cut him off but the suspect stopped short and walked into the resturant with a shotgun andtargeted his wife first then one of his daughters, killing the wife and severly wounding the daughter. He then followed his other daughter into the Women's restroom and shot and killed her on her 10th Birthday ( the reason for being @ the resturant). He then walked out the door and was shot and killed by Officers when failed to follow orders to drop his weapon.
Originally the Funeral Home requested Honors for him but the request was withdrawn @ the Family's request after it was made public.
Does a vet under these circumstances deserve Honors @ his funeral?

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
My two cents... he gave up all due respect and honors when he decided to do what he did.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Originally posted by MrHemi:
My two cents... he gave up all due respect and honors when he decided to do what he did.
This is a very sad story!

·
Board of Directors
25,097 Posts

·
Mopower or no Power!!
2,221 Posts
Now, the rest of the story.....his late wife decided to wait to break up with him at the resteraunt, in front of HER family, to humiliate him, and she done it publicly. She also publicly announced that she had a boyfriend, in front of everyone, and had been with the guy the entire time the guy had been overseas....not saying what the guy done was right, especially about the kids, but everyone has a breaking point....apparently that was his....I can just imagine how I would feel to be publicly humiliated like that in front of my own kids.....the time frame he was in the service appears to be right after Vietnam, so no telling what the guy might have had wrong with him either...sad deal all the way around...

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
It is indeed a sad situation. He earned the honors for the sacrifices that he made to protect us but, in light of the fact that he threw his life and those of his family away because of his wifes infidelity being thrown in his face and humiliating him in public, I think any honors due him should be kept low key and let them be silently known by those who already know the scarifices he made earlier in his life.

·
Mopower or no Power!!
2,221 Posts
One thing you guys are failing to pick up....she had this "boyfriend" from 1979 until now! She told him his kids weren't even his kids....imagine being with a woman all this time, just to have her tell you she had been sleeping with another man for 30+ years and your kids weren't yours....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Definitely a screwed up scenario, wasn't right what either of the adults did, but I'll agree with you Duane, getting a bombshell dropped on you like that can shatter a mans hold on reality. And once that's gone a lot of crap is no longer in anyone's control, even the assailants.

I'll also agree with R/T that everything should just be kept quiet. Or you'll have the Jane Fondas of the world coming to spit on that man's grave.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I currently do Funeral Honors for the Army while being stationed in Fort Polk, LA and with that being said, yes the family can request and deny honors for anyone who has served but the service members branch can deny to provide honors due to any situations that may have an adverse affect on the service, ie this situation. Even if the service members family had requested it, it would have been most likey denied due to the fact that he committed a crime moments before death.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bryan, were you part of the AVTB/EFV program?

·
Registered
40,856 Posts
Welcome aboard FLRamSport - we're glad you joined us! Tell us about your Hemi truck in our "New Members" section when you get a chance... and thank you for your service!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Originally posted by FLRamSport:
Bryan, were you part of the AVTB/EFV program?
Sadly no, our unit just got to get real familiar with them on various training exercises. Some how our battalion commander always had the pull to train with all the new toys as they came to Lejeune for demonstrations (V-22's, EFV, EFSS artillery) before anything hit the fleet. Got excited about them since the Amtraks were such aging, slow, and outdated junk. Disappointed they never made it into full deployment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeah, I was in 3AABN at Pendleton from 03-08. Amtracker for life! I had to work with with EFV for a while while it was going thru testing and it was a beast. Only problem was it had thousands of problems! lol

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Amtracks served their purpose, but when it would take 50-70 mins to get from ship to shore (1500 yds off shore) or other way around I always feared falling asleep and not waking up from the exhaust leaks spreading throughout the crew areas!

·
Registered
46 Posts
haha yeah. I used to love seeing the grunts puke in their kevlars! the thing only goes 6mph max and then that side to side rocking in a pitch black cave...if that don't get you sick you've got a pretty solid stomach.

·
Stu
21,118 Posts
Originally posted by "RANCHER":
Sad situation but no one has the right to murder anyone.
I have to agree.

His ex-wife must have had a death wish. Everyone has a breaking point. Everyone...................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts