Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Ram 1500 has 195,000 miles and it and has lost the lifter on the number 5 cylinder. The rest of the truck is still very solid and I would like to drive it another three years or so. Because of the miles I would prefer to install a crate engine. These are listed all over the internet, and are always listed as non-compatible. I believe the reason why is that it is not MDS. So the question is, Can I put one of these non MDS crate motors in truck, by deleting MDS? (I know there may be other smaller issues).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My 2012 Ram 1500 has 195,000 miles and it and has lost the lifter on the number 5 cylinder. The rest of the truck is still very solid and I would like to drive it another three years or so. Because of the miles I would prefer to install a crate engine. These are listed all over the internet, and are always listed as non-compatible. I believe the reason why is that it is not MDS. So the question is, Can I put one of these non MDS crate motors in truck, by deleting MDS? (I know there may be other smaller issues).
I forgot to put in a link to the motor DODGE Mopar Replacement 68303088AA Mopar Replacement 5.7L 345 C.I.D. Hemi Long Block Crate Engines | Summit Racing

·
Red Trucker
250 Posts
The reason it says not compatible with truck applications has nothing to do with MDS (2500/3500 5.7's don't use MDS). The oil pan, damper, front cover & intake manifold are for a car application. Yes, you should be able to use it but you'd have to change all those things. You can get a cheap used handheld tuner and turn off MDS; what I don't know is whether you can leave the MDS harness just unplugged in the valley or if the solenoids actually have to still be plugged in. Just an FYI, the trucks use a different spec cam than the cars (in both MDS & non-MDS applications). This is part of the reason (along with the active intake) that there is a 20hp difference between the two. You may end up a little down on power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason it says not compatible with truck applications has nothing to do with MDS (2500/3500 5.7's don't use MDS). The oil pan, damper, front cover & intake manifold are for a car application. Yes, you should be able to use it but you'd have to change all those things. You can get a cheap used handheld tuner and turn off MDS; what I don't know is whether you can leave the MDS harness just unplugged in the valley or if the solenoids actually have to still be plugged in. Just an FYI, the trucks use a different spec cam than the cars (in both MDS & non-MDS applications). This is part of the reason (along with the active intake) that there is a 20hp difference between the two. You may end up a little down on power.
Good info, thanks. I was looking at a MOPAR remanufactured long block that matches the vehicle. I think that I will just end up going that route.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts