Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way into work this morning everything is good until I get to about 60 on the highway and it doesn't shift into overdrive. I'm playing with the throttle to see if it will. And its all down hill from there. By the time I got it home (20 mins later) it seems like there is only first gear. Reverse work as well, but that's only sorta helpful at this point. It will upshift but then be connected to nothing and just REV.
There is a check engine light on, and I will be scanning it later when I get home.

What do you guys think?
Tranny died?
Limp mode and its an electrical issue?

What should I look at?

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Codes in order from the tuner:
P0734 - GEAR 4 INCORRECT RATIO
P0933 - HYDRAULIC PRESSURE SENSOR RANGE/PERFORMANCE
P0735 - GEAR 5 INCORRECT RATIO
P0733 - GEAR 3 INCORRECT RATIO

The gear ones are just saying there was a problem, the pressure sensor is the concerning one... I think

What do you think?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be wrong of that... the info I found, says that P0933 is caused from the slipping and the slipping (P0735) is caused by worn clutch pans on the overdrive.

And from the way it went downhill, that makes complete sense.

Looks like I'm going to be taking out the trans and get it looked at atleast...

·
Matt
2,658 Posts
Damn. She toast. That's what scares me about this trans, it gives little to no warning and suddenly it's gone.

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
Do you have access to a scanner? To get CVI numbers possibly with them we will know for sure of the clutches are gone they update on decel shifts mainly so if it went up it should show it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have access to a scanner? To get CVI numbers possibly with them we will know for sure of the clutches are gone they update on decel shifts mainly so if it went up it should show it.
I don't, can I do it with my Diablo Trinity? Or the auto parts store? How smart does the scanner have to be?

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
It will take an expensive scanner normally for that info most small hand helds just don't have the option.

·
Matt
2,658 Posts
What year range will work with my truck?
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 4x2 4.56 rear gear

Thanks
How long can you wait? Sometime in the next few months I should have a good used trans for sale. Will have about 110k on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So I picked up a junk yard trans...

Couple questions:
What should/can I do before I put it in?
Filters, Shift kits...

What fluid is best and how much do I need?

And is there anything I should know that isn't obvious when it comes to installing it?

Thanks Guys

·
Stu
21,241 Posts
Junk yard trans is what it is. The od clutches could be bad in that one too. It would be a good idea for a trans shop to check the od clutches before install. And don't forget about the trans re-learn too. Very important step.

·
Slow Memeber
5,513 Posts
Need to take it to the dealer or a shop that has the scan tool to be able to do the re learn. When I did my last trans I drove it to the shop to get the relearn cause it was only about 2 miles from the house, most will suggest having it towed

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
The relearn Is a special functions test that the tcm/pcm use to quickly figure out the CVI count in each clutch so that the trans will shift correctly right away. If you don't do it you run the very high risk of burning up the trans in a few miles

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to know...

I need to order some fluid, How much do I need? 10-12Qts?
and what the best somewhat reasonably priced Synthetic Fluid?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts