Hemi Truck Club banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

· Administrator
18,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The relay will get hot. Feel some of the relays in the box after 20mins of running they will be hot. You should be able to hold it in your hand issue free but it will be warm

· Greg
20,332 Posts
I believe the current pull is around 14amps at 70psi. 40a relay should not be getting hot.

· Stu
19,725 Posts
Drive the truck around town and do one test hit at 14psi boost. Raising up the fuel pressure from 50psi to 56psi @ 14psi boost. The relay gets hot and then when I let the truck idle in my driveway. It drops 2psi fuel pressure.

It still seems to be linked to the drop in battery voltage at idle. Going to replaced the battery and one step up alternator. Remember, it runs extra stuff now. Radiator electric fan, w/m system, water pump and fan for the intercooler system, and various gauges. Need to get the voltage steady. The pcm/tune works better with steady voltage. Believe it's also time to update the fuel lines, fuel filter, and fuel rails to make the fuel pump not work as hard.

· Administrator
18,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The relay will get warm/hot every single car does I do this all day thy will get warm/hot. ANthe entire setup from the tank to the rails I have been using -6 for years issue free and will be going to -8 when I do the fuel cell soon enough!

· Greg
20,332 Posts
As you have said getting the voltage steady is the key. Pressure drop at idle is an indicator that your idle is too low, faulty battery or inadequate wiring to the pump. With that said, you have to decide whether its an issue or not. I believe it isn't, as long as the pressure is steady during normal or wot driving. Like you indicated some of our trucks have extra load put on them from added accessories. Even with a relatively high idle and a over driven alternator i can certainly tell as various fans/pumps cycle on/off. I try to put a overnite charge on her once a week or so. But think about it, does it matter that your idle pressure is a couple pounds low?

· Stu
19,725 Posts
does it matter that your idle pressure is a couple pounds low?
Yes, it does. The pcm isn't happy after a 14psi test hit. Normally, it will idle rough and the pcm will adjust back to the original settings and all is good. Add in 2psi lower fuel pressure and she's pissed off running very rough and very lean at idle. That's why I have to get this fuel pressure problem straightened out.

The only reason why I'm going this far with it. She runs AWESOME at 14psi boost.

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Having been there I know first hand the 03 pcm limitations. Its simply beyond the pcm's ability to manage a performance package. Whether it be a mild cam on boost or a bigger cam na. It simply isnt going to be tunable. I have a stack of 03 pcm's unfortunately to prove it. You will only get a taste of your engines potential as long as you stay with the stock pcm.

· Administrator
18,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
2 psi should not be giving you an issue. Setthe truck to run low boost and drive the thing move on to the 2005 and have some damn fun. My fuel guage reads off by a few psi daily so if your going by an aftermarket guage would not trustit to be 100% anyway. Wall and head gotta stop meeting break thru and spread your wings!

· Greg
20,332 Posts
Thats why i love our old trucks, we can do whatever strikes our fancy regardless if it makes sense to anyone else..

· Mark G Senior Member
05 Ram 5.7 Turbo Charged
2,194 Posts
This is a very old post there are better modules out there to start with. here is one that I use for my mod.

· Administrator
18,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Little update to the fuel pump in tank. Holly has these little guys now. 255-400lph pumps. This is a drop in for Dodge Ram trucks for sure good to 2005.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts