Hemi Truck Club banner

Just ordered a 46RE transmission! Need recommendations.

5K views 53 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr. Larrikin 
#1 ·
My trans finally started to slip so I decided to go with the 46RE swap. I just ordered a Martin Saine transmission with controller that im hoping to get in a couple months. I cant wait. So I want to be prepared and have as many parts possible for a smooth install day. Martins sending trans, converter and controller. What else do you guys think Ill need? Im looking at B&M shifters. Any recommendations?

Reactions: ATXHEMI
#3 ·
Reactions: Redtruck-VA
#5 ·
This was the other option and adding toggle switches. You think its better to go with toggles vs adding the relays?

#6 ·
I was thinking about it if the buttons dont light up when engaged i might not remember while driving if the buttons engaged. Maybe adding an LED light would work.

Reactions: arocketman
#8 · (Edited)
I really like the stealth one but they dont have it with the two buttons so i got the one with the buttons. When I get it i’ll dissect it and see if i can change the switches to latching buttons. If not i’ll get the latching relay. I also grabbed some pilot light leds.

#9 ·
What do i need to get for the trans fittings and lines? Is there a certain size fitting? What length cooling hose?

#11 · (Edited)
Would 6AN fittings work? I was thinking this kit.
Tire Automotive tire Product Tread Rim

#12 ·
With this fitting to connect to the factory steel line
Font Line Screenshot Camera lens Camera accessory

#14 · (Edited)
Hows this look? Should I add anything else?
Font Material property Parallel Auto part Screenshot

#15 ·
I used the mentioned momentary buttons first with leds on the dash. Latching relay failed and I went with toggle switches. When using the toggles you won't accidently engage the buttons while shifting.
Automotive lighting Gear shift Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive tire
Handwriting Product Rectangle Font Material property
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper
Circuit component Gadget Eyewear Audio equipment Communication Device

#16 ·
Maybe I should get latching buttons with built in LED indicator and replace the momentary ones. I was thinking the relay may just add more stuff that could fail. I have to figure out what size button fits in the handle.

#17 ·
Buttons small enough to fit the handle can't handle the OD/LU current. The 30a automotive relays can..
Attached is the final rendition of my setup.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

Reactions: Ghost03hemi
#18 ·
Didnt think of the button not handling the current. In that case maybe I’ll stick to the latching relay set up. I found this one but it seems too cheap. I dont know what to look for in a quality relay.
Azure Circuit component Rectangle Font Screenshot

#19 ·
They look pretty much like what I used to build the module in the picture posted. Getting the wiring sorted out before the actual trans install will make the overall install much quicker. Get the shifter in and the oem linkage removed, neutral/start wiring ready along with the backup lights. You will be amazed at the difference the trans will make..

#21 ·
I switched to 15 ft. Heres everything I have so far. If anything else comes to mind let me know.

B&M shifter
Latching Relays
Automotive 5 pin relays
Mount for shifter
Heat shield for cable
6an fittings 2 straight 2 elbows
15ft 6an hose
2 quick connect fittings

#22 ·
#23 ·
Martin was saying some year hemi swap can use the factory starter and some need a “mini starter“ Does anyone know how I find out?

#24 ·
This is the wiring I drew up. Where would wire in the auto relay?
Handwriting Rectangle Font Schematic Sketch pad

#25 ·
The latching relay output (NO) is used to control the 30a automotive relays. The 30a relays are connected to the trans OD/LU.
Circuit component Gadget Eyewear Audio equipment Communication Device

#26 ·
Where do i go from here? Do i need to switch the 12v to trans over to the relay?

Handwriting Product Rectangle Schematic Font

#27 ·
#87 to OD . Remove the 12v from #30 and make it ground. When the latch relay closes the automotive relay, the automotive relay will provide a high current path to ground engaging either LU or OD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.