Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced intake backfire explosion that actually blew out front of intake if so did you find out the cause?

·
Greg
19,973 Posts
Give some more information, year and mods.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Did you spray anything into the throttle body like carb cleaner or starter fluid (ether)?

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Gawildside

:WelcomeBanner1:

:HemiWhoopAss1:

:Kneel2Hemi:

:dance:

:thumb:

·
Greg
19,973 Posts
My guess is a intake valve stuck open and when the cylinder fired it blew into the manifold. I had a back fire on start up a long time ago after the truck sat at the airport for three weeks. And again on the way out of the parking lot. Didn't break the manifold, but I think it was a close call.

In your case I would do a compression check before firing the next time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled heads had them redone no bad valves or springs did compression check before I pulled them good compression on all cylinders waiting on new intake I'll put back together and hope it doesn't do it again

·
Greg
19,973 Posts
With new valve springs and valve job you should be good.

·
Administrator
17,866 Posts
That's a weird one for sure. Go a step further for good measure and replace the purge valve on the truck near the lower battery area. They have been known to sometimes stick open and on a refill of fuel get fuel in the line and sick that into the intake essentially making an injection bomb possibly. Changing that and having the heads done pretty much covers any possible issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for that info that's about most reasonable explanation I have heard since I have checked everything thing else I can think of

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I remember seeing a pic of the carnage when a manifold got blown up from using to much seafoam. I'm sure this is not the case!!!

·
Greg
19,973 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'05 Boosted 426 & '14 4X4
12,712 Posts
Gawildside

:WelcomeBanner1:
Glad to have you here. :thumb::thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts