1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Independence Day!!
About our Statue of Liberty:
breakup.jpg

It was 1865 when Frenchman Édouard de Laboulaye proposed the idea of presenting a monumental gift from the people of France to the people of the United States. An ardent supporter of America, Laboulaye wished to commemorate the centennial of the Declaration of Independence as well as celebrate the close relationship between France and America. He was equally moved by the recent abolition of slavery in the U.S., which furthered America’s ideals of liberty and freedom.
Sculptor Frédéric-Auguste Bartholdi was in attendance for Laboulaye’s proclamation. Of like mind with Laboulaye’s cause, Bartholdi began conceptualizing the colossal structure that would soon be known as Liberty Enlightening the World.
Bartholdi’s design encompassed much symbolism: her crown representing light with its spikes evoking sun rays extending out to the world; the tablet, inscribed with July 4, 1776 in Roman numerals, noting American independence; to symbolize the end of slavery, Bartholdi placed a broken shackle and chains at the Statue’s foot.
"The New Colossus", a poem written by Emma Lazarus in 1883, is on display on the Statue's pedestal.
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Happy birthday to our HTC family with a birthday this week July 4-10!! Have a great day!!

Welcome to our newest HTC member - TRusselo who is rebuilding a 2008 RAM!! Great to have you has part of our HTC family!!

Rocketman - Bill - has started a post "Remember when". It's been a fun post to follow. Check it out so you can "Remember when".

Try your luck at being "Truck of the Month"!! Post a picture and a write up of your ride between the 1st-21st then we vote the 22nd-months end. After the voting the winner will be messaged for email info. The email is for the digital TOTM award. Printing and shipping them was getting pricey and time consuming. The awards will be printable on your end and then you can frame them. Thanks to Keith (charged392) for heading this up!

PRAYER REQUEST:
If you have a prayer request you would like to share either add it to this thread or PM me.
*charged392 - Blake had an ATV accident receiving a fractured forearm.

*Rancher - Doug general health

*Doc's mother -
*boedacres - Steve - health issues including diabetes

*SuperBee - John & his wife - health issues

*SuperBee's wife - was in a serious care accident
*Those that will be traveling for the upcoming July 4th weekend

Have a great week!

Reactions: arocketman

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry about the two huge cartoons in the middle of the info: I can't figure out how to edit the new forum when I make a mistake. o_O

Reactions: arocketman
1 - 3 of 3 Posts