Hemi Truck Club banner

281 - 300 of 324 Posts

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Nice cool day, great for working in the shop. Salvaged some materials from various sheds. Found some really nice size sheet metal for the floor. Roughing out the floor is next. Then adding more bracing and finally turning the cab right side up...

Reactions: bada44

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Pictures...

Attachments

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Mo pictures..

Attachments

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Added more temporary bracing. When I rolled the cab onto it's back I bent some of the lower body panel.. I want to avoid doing damage when I roll the body right side up. The new bracing extends pass the body and will take the weight instead of the body. Working by myself makes moving big awkward stuff a bit of a challenge at times. Anything I can't get my arms around and lift falls onto that category...lol
also removed acouple body support brackets that are pretty rough (rusted) and started rebuilding them.. Actually got one done and painted.. Feels like progress!

Attachments

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Thinking out loud... so bare with me..
Chopping the top changes the proportion of the window to overall cab demensions. It's got to look right or the whole thing is a waste of time. And then the cab section behind the door looking at it from the side also proportional changes. Stock the window is too tall and the cab rear section is too short. Chopping the top makes the rear cab section look wider.. or more proprtional to the window. I have a picture of a yellow cab that has it's rear section lengthened I'm guessing 5". It is what I had planned to do but I don't like it. It's too long... So I'm thinking 3" cab extension with a 2" or 3" chop. Opinions are appreciated...

Attachments

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
In the above picture you can see the proportion of the cab to window look right to me. That I'd say was a 4" chop and no extension... what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
For what it's worth, here is my 2 cents.

1. Keep the chop to a minimum. No more than 2". Maybe even no chop. It would look good with the extra length.
2. Add the extension. It looks like a "Mega" cab.
If you don't like that look, I have another suggestion, (which I think would be the best look). This is based on the abilities you have demonstrated thus far. Besides the resulting new look, the work will offer a challenge and will make you extra proud of your work, (not that you should not be proud already). What you have done so far by learning as you go should definitely make your proud already.

Anyway, here is my suggestion.
Cut the doors into two halves. One the front half and the other the back. Add the extension between them and make the door longer. Now you have the cab length you need without the mega cab look.

Didn't say it would be easy.
:eek:ld-025:

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Actually I thought lengthing the door was the way to go, but making a list of what I would need to stretch them showed me it wasn't feasible (for me anyway) would pretty much need extra pair of doors and cab. I'm leaning toward a 3" chop and a 3" stretch. I completed the floor bracing I was working on. They are simple enough and I could have replaced them with any light weight flat stock. I choose to rebuild the originals with flat stock to add strength. Went to town to bend the 14ga floprs, but ran out of time. Will have to do it tomorrow. Moving forward. Getting the floor partially in feels like a big step..

Reactions: bada44 and kcd1369

·
Gold-Member
4,176 Posts
In the above picture you can see the proportion of the cab to window look right to me. That I'd say was a 4" chop and no extension... what do you all think?

Wasn't your plan to do the extension originally to allow you to fit better in the small cab? If that's the case, taking away any extension defeats that purpose. Doesn't it? As far as the out of proportion look, you could kind of mask it with a 2 tone paint scheme. Do like a black or darker color around the window area and spread it back a few inches past the window to give the appearance of the window being longer. Unless you aren't going to paint it then this idea is out the window so to speak. :D

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
There you go being all practical, voice of reason... yada yada.. being comfortable doesn't mean a thing if it don't look kool...
But of course you are right.. the original seat box has been removed along with a custom column we will have to see whats left to fit my fat ***...

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Got a text from Martin.... my trans is ready for shipping! Feels like xmas...

Reactions: arocketman

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Got some of the floor installed.. piece by piece. Should flip the cab over tomorrow.

Attachments

Reactions: kcd1369 and bada44

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Another pic...

Attachments

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Jumping ahead alittle my friends shop has a 6' metal brake. I was able to use it to bend the floor panels fairly easily (surprised) so it looks like I'll beable to bend the metal I have for the bed. Once the cab is mounted and mostly completed I can adjust the length of the bed to fit.

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Another couple pieces of the floor. I want to install the front half to stablise the firewall. I'll do the rear after cutting the cab.

Attachments

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Recieved and opened the tran crate for inspection. Looks good... as expected.. I'm struggling a bit adjusting to my new meds so build schedule has fallen behind. Martin swapped my 46rh core for 46re case. This allows me to use both of my transmissions without having to mess with the wiring. I'll take red to my friends shop to swap the old 46re (700hp) for the new 1000hp 46re...

Attachments

·
Gold-Member
4,176 Posts
Another couple pieces of the floor. I want to install the front half to stablise the firewall. I'll do the rear after cutting the cab.
Now its starting to look like something. Nice work.:thumb:

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Another picture... counted up the trans fluid I have on hand and ordered 10 more qts just to make sure. Picture of a 46re ... the previous picture is of MS's ultra billet converter..

Attachments

281 - 300 of 324 Posts