Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tyler
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a different one for you guys. My brother has been working on this swap for awhile now and it is now finally up and running. It all started when we had a traded in 2005 Grand Cherokee that was a US vehicle and needed far to much to pass a federal inspection, so he picked it up for next to nothing.
He has had the Liberty for some time now and has lockers front and back with the lift and many other modifications for going off road. He asked me about what might need to be done to the powertrain to get the swap going so I got the VIN to see what he had for powertrain and that is when I discovered it came with a 3.7l engine bolted to a 45rfe trans... yep, just bolt it right to it.
Fast forward and the engine is stuffed in there and I gave him my old 2500 stall for the 45rfe trans. He had sent the cluster and harness to Hotwire and they tied it all together running off of a 2005 truck pcm with all the usual stuff deleted (egr, downstream O2's, knock sensors) and it fires right up.
He is just finishing up a couple loose ends like the electric cooling fan and exhaust but should be driving it within the next couple weeks. I can honestly say I have never heard of a Hemi powered Liberty so I give him extra marks for originality.

Attachments

·
Tyler
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you are wondering about that exquisite air intake system he put together, he needed a canister with the filter inside that seals to the snorkel at that right hand fender. Obviously there is no kit for something like this so he is going to eventually build something better in the future.

·
John
4,069 Posts
I like it, a good sleeper for the street, but it also looks like a nightmare when it comes time for a tune up, spark plugs, etc. Wishing him the best of luck with that ride.:thumb::thumb:

·
Red Trucker
230 Posts
That's awesome...there has been a longstanding stance on the KJ forum (my ex-wife had one, the forum came in handy) that it was impossible to make a hemi swap work in a KJ lol. Even 4.7 swaps were considered not worth the effort. Think I'll share this little tidbit over there hehehe....don't suppose your bro has a write up somewhere? Curious about the oil pan used, mounting, etc. Interesting that he used an 05 LX engine and kept those coils (what was available? clearance?).

·
Tyler
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's awesome...there has been a longstanding stance on the KJ forum (my ex-wife had one, the forum came in handy) that it was impossible to make a hemi swap work in a KJ lol. Even 4.7 swaps were considered not worth the effort. Think I'll share this little tidbit over there hehehe....don't suppose your bro has a write up somewhere? Curious about the oil pan used, mounting, etc. Interesting that he used an 05 LX engine and kept those coils (what was available? clearance?).
He does have it posted on some Jeep forums. I will have to ask him which ones he is on.

·
Gold-Member
4,176 Posts
:thumb:

Tight squeeze. but great work. :bow:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts