Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi , So I'm gathering parts for the stroker motor , and I have new lifters, I'm using Hylift Johnson Lifters.
However, they did NOT come with Yokes , or retainers , or Trays, whatever you want to call them.
The cam is not a monster, close to a Comp 260,
Question: Buy New Yokes ? , Used Yokes? New OEM ? 6.1 ?
I noticed there is a difference between MDS and Non-MDS,
Just curious what you guys recommend , anyone ?
Also I ran into these , from AR Performance , look like billet

GEN 3 HEMI LIFTER TRAYS
Gen 3 Hemi Lifter Trays

No reviews
$219.00
Starting at $75/mo with Affirm. Prequalify now
Lifter Style Factory Mopar / Johnson Short & Standard Travel "Johnson Hy-Lift"
Factory Mopar / Johnson Short & Standard Travel - $219.00 USD "Johnson Hy-Lift" - $219.00 USD

Machined billet aluminum lifter trays for your Gen 3 hemi, help to protect against lifter rotation at high rpm that can be caused by factory plastic lifter trays.
The "Factory Mopar / Johnson Short & Standard Travel" version is for factory lifters and Johnson Lifters that measure .728-.729" between the flats.

BUT , at $219.00 ????????????
Anyway looking for recommendations
As usual thank you all for your input (y)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info Garc :)
Informative video , looked at mine , thankfully NOT one of the first two lifters he had problems with,
EDIT: AAD Performance is who handles those billet trays

Anyone else ? No charge for opinions here :p

Reactions: Garc

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUESTION: on the YOKES / retainers , the non-mds retainers , do they have a 721AA mark on them ?
Do ALL MDS retainers say MDS on them ?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Yes MDS have MDS marked on them,
I've have a few sets of billet trays, they serve their purpose in high rpm, large lift situations where there is a lot of stress on the lifters them self, the higher the rpm the more the cam wants to come out of the block, which causes the roller lifter to want to "twist/rotate" in the lifter bore.......it's also a minor cause of VVT lifter failures because the cam(not the timing gear) is moving both counter and clock wise in certain situations....not your issue....love those pre 09 5.7s ...........

90% of G3 hemi owners will not need to buy them, it's why Jesel stopped selling the ones they made for the "oem" type lifter, (they still make trays for their lifters, the flats are on the side) the stocker's don't like .600 lift cams and high RPMs over long periods of time, like mentioned earlier , the force of the came wanting to "screw it's way out of the block puts stress on the stock yoke, which eventually stretches, oblongs, allows the lifter to twist in the yoke and instead of maintaining a flat level contact patch on the cam lobe it rides uneven and after a while it'll break the stock plastic yoke and BOOM ...cam eating lifter junk.........it'ss why no self respecting LS builder uses the stock GM trays....

Your not going to spin your engine high enough to warrant the $220, they do fatigue(get brittle) over a period of time. personally I think you have a better chance of hitting the power ball then having a failure with the stock trays.

If you have the $220 to spend , it's worth the piece of mind to some people

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for info Ric !! Good info on the trays !!! and when to use them ,
I pulled off one of the used MDS trays from a motor I had lying around, figured they were for lifter alignment after looking it over, and seeing the flat sides, duh . So was just going get some used ones I found some on Ebay for $49.95, then after searching all over, without a part # (argh) , found some on another site NEW for $55.00.Pulled the trigger.
I'm not going to spin this thing toooo hard , maybe once or twice a week to 6K, getting on the freeway,

Also good point on them turning brittle after being in an engine for who knows how many miles.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE:
Since I'm bored out of my skull waiting on head bolts I ordered the Billet Lifter Trays from AAD , nice guys
$220 a set for peace of mind , not bad

Reactions: arocketman
1 - 9 of 9 Posts