Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Im hoping someone has some ideas on this because I am out of them.
I have a 03 Ram 5.7 with 190k. It started giving telltale vapor a couple of weeks ago so I tore it down and replaced the head gaskets and valve seals. I figured I might as well put an oil pump and timing chain while it was down so I did. At this point, it has a new set of head gaskets, new head bolts, new plugs and wires, and a new oil pump. Now, when I crank it, it fires right up but idles rough. I thought maybe I crossed some wires so, with the engine running, I began pulling the coil pack leads off to see if they were getting fire. I pulled every wire off all four on the passenger side and never noticed any fluctuation in idle, or tone. So, with only the drivers side coil packs plugged in, the truck stayed running with no popping or spitting I would normally associated with timing being out. BUT, it will not pull as it should ( while holding the brakes and flooring the throttle it would not break the tires loose even on a wet driveway.
I just ordered a new cam and crank sensor as the truck is throwing a P0016 code. Has anyone got any ideas? I triple checked my timing gears were at 12 and 6 with the proper links pointing where they should. I dont kmow what else to check. Help!

·
Matt
2,658 Posts
I would see if the cam and crank sensors take care of it before trouble shooting farther.

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
From what you have said I'll guess you have the cam mis-timed.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,830 Posts
The wires that run from the coils to the other cylinders are the waste speak wires they don't fire in the compression stroke the coil itself fires into the hole its ontop off. When you say you unplugged them do you mean the wire or the actual electrical plug?

The p0016 code is a correlation code you may have mistimed the engine here the cam gear had a dot and the crank gear has a dot not the keyway it sits around 2 o'clock range if I remember correctly

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wires that run from the coils to the other cylinders are the waste speak wires they don't fire in the compression stroke the coil itself fires into the hole its ontop off. When you say you unplugged them do you mean the wire or the actual electrical plug?

The p0016 code is a correlation code you may have mistimed the engine here the cam gear had a dot and the crank gear has a dot not the keyway it sits around 2 o'clock range if I remember correctly
I am referring to the pigtail supplying the coilpack, not the 7mm plugwire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would see if the cam and crank sensors take care of it before trouble shooting farther.[/QUOTE
Im hoping that takes care of it. I pulled the cam sensor yesterday and cleaned the comtacts off hoping maybe the degreasing I did may have just gummed it up but, no luck. Ill update when i get the new sensors.

·
Greg
19,957 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
As I take stuff apart and more importantly as I put it back together I take pictures so if I have second thoughts I can check to be sure what I did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I take stuff apart and more importantly as I put it back together I take pictures so if I have second thoughts I can check to be sure what I did.
Well, I myself have a photographic memory so, I have no nees to take pictures.
The problem is, my flash is burned out so the pictures are all too dark to see!

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
Haha you might look into getting a new bulb....

·
Kevin
403 Posts
Well, I myself have a photographic memory so, I have no nees to take pictures.
The problem is, my flash is burned out so the pictures are all too dark to see!
That's a good one!! :lol:

·
Stu
21,192 Posts
Was the cam timing correct?
Did you disconnect the battery? Sometimes the pcm has to re-learn a little.
Did you reconnect the ground straps on valve covers and cylinder heads?
What type of spark plugs and their gaps?
Did you remove the spark plug wires from their harness?

·
Administrator
17,830 Posts
Let us know what you find with the timing of the engine on the chain that code normally means something is off mechanically.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I have verified the timing marks are all correct, I have installed new cam and crank position sensors, and still have a rough idle with a P0113 and P0354 code. Also, it fires right up but dies after about 5 to 10 minutes. Looking for a steep hill to roll it down at the moment unless yall have any new ideas.

·
Administrator
17,830 Posts
113 is intake air temp not a big deal there means airbox is off normally or you didn't plug it back in.

354 is coil #4 circuit second one back passenger head make sure it's plugged in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok i swapped the #4 and #2 coils and still get the same code. Im thinking the wiring harness has a short in it at this point.

·
Greg
19,957 Posts
Read something on the Internet on how to check a pcm without using a o'scope. The electrical plug at the coil has two wires. One is 12vdc the other is pcm trigger wire. Using a meter on dcv, you should have 12vdc. The trigger wire can be seen if you put your meter on AC shown as a frequency. This code is detected by the pcm fault circuit.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts