Hemi Truck Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hemi4ever got me thinking about this, and I managed to get it done while doing my 60,000 plugs.

Here's a before-

The salt was really making a mess of the bare aluminum covers- but they still looked brand new under the label-

Wire brushed the heck out of them-

Engine paint primer, black, and clear-

After-

Actually, after doing that one twice! I found out how easy it is to hook the gasket on a rocker shaft bolt, pop one corner out of its groove, and find out about it after the test drive.
I carefully felt all around to make sure all the gaskets were still in place before bolting it down the second time!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hemi4ever got me thinking about this, and I managed to get it done while doing my 60,000 plugs.

Here's a before-

The salt was really making a mess of the bare aluminum covers- but they still looked brand new under the label-

Wire brushed the heck out of them-

Engine paint primer, black, and clear-

After-

Actually, after doing that one twice! I found out how easy it is to hook the gasket on a rocker shaft bolt, pop one corner out of its groove, and find out about it after the test drive.
I carefully felt all around to make sure all the gaskets were still in place before bolting it down the second time!

·
Registered
40,856 Posts

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts

·
Retired BOD - Doug
39,640 Posts
Good job!!! Now do the same thing with the alternator and A/C compressor.

I even took a small paint brush and painted the wiring in the alternator (red) and it really helped the engine bay.

A little paint here and there will make it a show engine.
Break fluid canister.

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rancher- yeah, I'm pickin away at it. I made the mistake of cleaning the engine compartment with simple green, it's too good of a degreaser. Everything came very clean, and immediately started rusting. I even had to touch up my coils and valve cover bolts when I had them off. I bought some Rustoleum black with a spray at any angle nozzle and have been touching up anything exposed any time I do a project. That paint is great. I really need to hit that A/C pulley!

·
Pavement Pounder
548 Posts

·
Greg
19,974 Posts
Looks good..

·
Registered
933 Posts
Looks great.

Dressing up the bay really makes a great difference plus our trucks deserves the make over. Mine sure did for putting up with me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sorry for the late post, it looks great

·
5.7 Hemi Laramie Longhorn
148 Posts
I think if I was going to go to the trouble of taking them off, I would have had the valve covers powder coated or anodized. Looks good thought!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think if I was going to go to the trouble of taking them off, I would have had the valve covers powder coated or anodized. Looks good thought!
Yep! Spray can engine paint is now peeling on one side, will need to re-do, should have gone with powder. :sad:

·
Gold-Member
4,176 Posts
Good job!!! Now do the same thing with the alternator and A/C compressor.

I even took a small paint brush and painted the wiring in the alternator (red) and it really helped the engine bay.

A little paint here and there will make it a show engine.
Break fluid canister.
Doug,

You painted your Alt. and AC Comp.? Spray paint or brush?
I wire brushed both but they still look old. i was trying to think of a way to make them look better.

Thanks.:thumb:

·
Gold-Member
4,176 Posts
Doug,

You painted your Alt. and AC Comp.? Spray paint or brush?
I wire brushed both but they still look old. i was trying to think of a way to make them look better.

Thanks.:thumb:
Here are pictures.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts