Discussion Starter #1

·
Board of Directors
25,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Administrator
17,780 Posts
Nice idea for putting engine in something it didn't come with completely agree there only one issue with picture how are you gonna hook the distributor to the cylinders when all the spark plug holes are already taken

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
...that does look like a redesign of the arrington front cover replacement,the chipkiller. I believe they are at shophemi.com any word on how much mopar may be charging for this?

·
Greg
19,956 Posts
IMO, that's an unnecessary step backwards with all the stand alone PCM's available designed for retro installs.

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
IMHO, being an old school guy, that's the way to fly. A distributor and a carb, makes it so much easier. Tuning is simple, no rev limiter, no limp mod, and no need for any programing.

·
Stu
21,124 Posts

Only thing is, you'll have to get a trans only computer. Or, change out to another "old school" trans. And also, how many other things are controlled by that computer.
You would have to set-up most of the truck "old school". That's allot of work, time and money.

And nobody has tested this set-up to see if it has better performance on our Gen III Hemi engines. If it was that much better, you would see it at the track.

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
Only thing is, you'll have to get a trans only computer.
Not so sure about that for us 03 guys, as we have a separate puter for the trans already.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
didnt someone else already make one of these covers at least 2 years ago? I know I have seen them before.

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
I do remember seeing it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
..... Jay and Bill,if you check five comments back,I mentioned [email protected] shophemi.com for the front cover thingy.....

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Hmmm...The manifold & carbs would look awesome on my truck.

Awww...Then I'd have to get multiple spray plates.

OR...I could just ask Nathan to borrow his.

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
Jay and Bill,if you check five comments back
I'm aware of that. The one I was thinking of showed a whole motor, with a HEI type distributor installed.

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
I may have to rethink a 440 or a Gen III Hemi
Trust me, do the 440!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Yeah I think you're right there Jay, ya just can't beat the torque of a 440. I have the 383 you helped me build in it for now but a 440 is in it's future.

·
Greg
19,956 Posts
Apparently you guys have forgotten the hours and hours of fooling with distributors trying to get advance curves and timing set or even repeating a previous curve. Not counting fighting with wires breaking down, broken caps/rotors and the failures associated with rpm, misfires and spark scatter. Although not driving a oil pump may certainly help, but there also could be some chatter not having the pump to dampen the shaft rotation. As for carburetors, I have a few still sitting around and everytime I see one I smile knowing I'll never have to change another jet or replace another leaking gasket. Nope, I'll just sit in the truck with my laptop and make the changes my datalogs call for and finish my coffee. Technology is sweet...

·
Board of Directors (Jay)
43,454 Posts
To each his own, I guess. I'm sure I could set up a customers distributor, quicker than you could do a costume tune, on a customers vehicle. A distributor is just basically a make, or break switch. I'm sure some company could come up with a distributor the sends the correct primary voltage to the existing coil packs, at the correct time.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I'm thinking if distributors are good enough for top fuel cars then it's gotta be good enough for anything I'd build

·
Greg
19,956 Posts
Haha I see I'm pushing the rock up a hill with my arguement. We already have a crank sensor to drive the timing and MSD has a controller to drive the coils. Top fuel usually uses a pair of magneto's. Good luck...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts