Hemi Truck Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 1500 Sport Quad Cab
5.7L SuperChips Programmed

The truck threw a P0480 code, telling me it is a "Cooling Fan I Control Circuit Malfunction". The engine fan is mounted to the water pump, so this isn't it.

The condensor fan does not come on at all when the A/C compressor is running so I guessed the condenser fan was faulty and purchased a new one. The new fan doesn't work either. I jumpered the old fan to the battery and it spins. Did the same for the new fan and it spins. Both old and new fans work.

We traced the wiring back to the PCM (harness 2, wire 17) for continuity and there is continuity from the relay socket in the fuse panel back to the PCM.

The relay is not bad since EVERY relay is the same part# and can be interchanged (which has been done). This still does not fix the code problem or gets the fan to work.

I've used my Superchips programmer to clear the code, but when the truck is started the code IMMEDIATELY returns.

I've pulled the fuse out of the block to the computer overnight and the code IMMEDIATELY returns when started.

I could use some guidance from someone who is WAY smarter than I am.

Thanks in advance.
-Hemibat

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
hemibat

:WelcomeBanner1:

Someone should be along soon to help address your question and problem :thumb:.

Welcome to the TEXAS CHAPTER of HTC as well :cowboy1_icon:.

You picked a great time to join since we are scheduled to have our National Hemi Truck Club Rally in San Antonio this June - please look for details and join us :dance:.

:D

·
Tyler
590 Posts
Possible causes:
CONDENSER FAN RELAY OPERATION
INTERNAL FUSED B+ CIRCUITS
CONDENSER FAN RELAY RESISTANCE
(Y145) CONDENSER FAN RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
(Y145) CONDENSER FAN RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
PCM

Ignition on, engine not running.
With the DRBIIIt, actuate the Condenser Fan Relay.
Is the Condenser Fan Relay operating?

Yes → Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic
Procedure).
No → Go To 2

2 Turn the ignition off.
Remove the Condenser Fan Relay from the IPM.
Using a 12-volt test light connected to ground the Fused B+ circuits in the IPM.
Is the voltage above 11.0 volts?

Yes → Go To 3
No → Repair the Fused B+ circuits for an open or short to ground.
Inspect the related fuse and repair as necessary.

3 Measure the resistance of the Condenser Fan Relay Coil.
Is the resistance between 60 to 80 ohms?

Yes → Go To 4
No → Replace the Condenser Fan Relay.

4 Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.
CAUTION: DO NOT PROBE THE PCM HARNESS CONNECTORS. PROBING
THE PCM HARNESS CONNECTORS WILL DAMAGE THE PCM TERMINALS
RESULTING IN POOR TERMINAL TO PIN CONNECTION. INSTALL
MILLER SPECIAL TOOL #8815 TO PERFORM DIAGNOSIS.
Measure the resistance of the (Y145) Condenser Fan Relay Control circuit from the
IPM to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes → Go To 5
No → Repair the open in the (Y145) Condenser Fan Relay Control
circuit.

5 Measure the resistance between ground and the (Y145) Condenser Fan Relay Control
circuit at the IPM.
Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

Yes → Repair the short to ground in the (Y145) Condenser Fan Relay
Control circuit.
No → Go To 6

6 NOTE: Before continuing, check the PCM harness connector terminals for
corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Repair as necessary.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wire harness and connectors. Pay particular attention to all Power and Ground circuits. If there are no possible causes remaining, Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.

·
Greg
19,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum, always good to see another 03 join up. On the older trucks corrosion can be a problem on the under side of the IPM.

·
Administrator
17,847 Posts
Yes check the pins in the box for the relay two should have power with key on and one will be ground with no relay that should be the fan the other will not have ground until the computer commands it to turn the relay on.

Attachments

·
Gold-Member
4,173 Posts
:welcome-0005a: to HTC, Bat :thumb:

Reactions: hemibat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There have been other threads that suggessted the P0480 code could be a few other things
Temp sensor (im guessing thermostat sensor)
air temp sensor (in the intake)
A/C Pressure switch

Has anyone else come up against this problem? I can't believe the computer controlls the fan and the fault code it throws will keep me from getting a safety inspection??!!??

·
Greg
19,960 Posts
Does it still throw a code with the relay in place and the AC fan unplugged? Probably does, so I think that it would point at the lack of B+ to the fan and that will require tracing the voltage within the IPM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Me 2

Just got a P0480 yesterday, but I have a mechanical factory fan. It seems that there are other components involved with lighting up the P0480.
Any idea what the most common cause is?

·
Greg
19,960 Posts
Condenser aux fan.

Reactions: SUPER BEE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Me 2

thx - I'll start there. As it turns out from additional driving today, the condenser aux fan seems to be a viable suspect:
My Freon isn't cooled unless i'm moving fast enough to provide air flow through the condenser. When air flow is lost - such as at stop lights, the compressor clutch starts short-cycling...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Code 0480

So, here's a teachable moment...
I had trouble with the left trailer signal, so i was pulling fuses/relays to try and isolated the problem. Short story, I pulled the relay for the A/C Condenser Fan and inadvertently put it back in the "spare" slot. Put it back in its proper place and all is well. :facepalm: DOH!

Just goes to show - check the simple things first!

That said, for this and similar trucks, lighting up a P0480 for an A/C component or system is nothing less than idiotic!!!
1. Since the radiator cooling fan is mechanical, there is no electrical control (and potential electrical failure) of the fan itself.
2. Code P0480 is "Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit Malfunction". The implication is that engine cooling is threatened, but in fact it refers to the A/C Condenser
Fan - not the radiator cooling fan.
3. The A/C Condenser is completely out of the airflow path (off to the side) of the radiator, oil cooler, and transmission fluid cooler, so it has absolutely NOTHING to do with affecting ENGINE coolant temperature!

Shame on you, Dodge!

·
Pops
297 Posts
Driving the wifes Durango and the ETC code came on. It is driving perfect, I just replaced the battery how do I clear this ????

·
Greg
19,960 Posts
Turning the ignition off and restarting sometimes clears the etc code. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting sometimes clear it. Connecting a scanner/tuner and erasing the code will clear the code. Good kuck..

·
Pops
297 Posts
Thanks will try it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts